Do smart cards loose their auth after awhile?

mattb

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Columbus, OH, USA
My Skyangel "life long" receiver has been unplugged all summer and out of the data stream naturally because of that and I went to watch skyangel tonight after hooking it up again and noticed I was only getting Ch 580 , 9902 and the few 471/472 PPV channels on 61.5 the skyangel channels are not showing up in the guide at all, I tried the pull the card and put it back in trick and even tried the "check switch" option on the receiver but still dont regain the channels.

My question does the receiver loose its auth over time requiring Skyangel to reauth it?

If they are anything like all other DBS units then yes, after not being in the stream for a period, you may need to call and ask for a re-hit/re-auth.

I think its more like 30 days!

With the old blue cards, they would never loose authorizations. You could plug in a receiver years later and it would still keep its programming.

I remember when we had the blue cards I got a receiver from a customer in trade. Put it away in the back room, 2 years later plugged it in and it had programming which lasted about 6 months before Dish sent out a deactivation command to shut it down

yeah I remember the blue cards kept programming forever... I had all the Dish PI 61.5 channels on my blue card with skyangel only (as I used to have Dish way back when) ofcourse when they switched to the yellow cards I started reciving skyangel only. Ill hit up Skyangel for a rehit. Ill just have to remember to leave the E* box hooked up and plugged in even when I dont care to watch Skyangel (I unhooked it a few months back)

So if you leave it plugged in, it should eventually just become authorized again the next time it sees its number in the stream, I think. But call SA or Dish tech support if you're not that patient.

yeah it looks like E* (in efforts to thort activities I dont approve of) lets the cards loose their auth status after xx days and if their out of the stream it requires you to have them reauthed so its off to skyangel I go! (no biggy to me) Ill just remeber to leave my receiver powered and hooked up to the dish now on even if I dont wanna watch it or use it)

You would be better to contact Dish Network Customer service directly and ask the rep to send a reauthorization hit. SkyAngel cannot send hits, they request Dish Network to authorize for their service. SkyAngel submits requests to Dish Network in batches, so it can often take quite some time to get authorized.

my newest reciever doesn't even have a card. I bought it a Radio Shack, called DISH and the activated my SkyAngel programming while we were on the phone.

The new ones don't have plastic slide-in cards, but the functionality is a chip on the mainboard. They work the same.

SatelliteAV said:
You would be better to contact Dish Network Customer service directly and ask the rep to send a reauthorization hit. SkyAngel cannot send hits, they request Dish Network to authorize for their service. SkyAngel submits requests to Dish Network in batches, so it can often take quite some time to get authorized.

Looks like I wont need a "rehit " after all... I checked tonight and the skyangel channels are back in the guide and I have access to them again. Guess I got lucky! I was just ready to email skyangel and ask them to have E* rehit the recv.

If it wasnt for TVU and me having a lifelong skyangel sub I would probally just get FTA and watch the TBN Mux on KU.

kb7oeb said:
You might be able to pick it up OTA, many of the digital TBNs have 5 channels on them.

Locally TBN is only a "sat-a-lator" (translator) so we dont have the DT multiple channels here.

Pepper said:
So if you leave it plugged in, it should eventually just become authorized again the next time it sees its number in the stream, I think. But call SA or Dish tech support if you're not that patient.
True, I've been able to rehook up recievers that were disconnected for a couple of months. Usually they get reauthorized overnight.
Only need to call if you want instant gratification, so to speak.

I'd encourage anyone with a TBN translator that wants the TBN digital mux (package of 5 channels) to look it up at recnet.com - because TBN has filed for several "Flash Cut Digital" applications that will allow them to cease analog operations of their translator and instead provide digital service on the same channel.
The most interesting news about these flash cut applications is most of them are for 15kW, which is the maximum power for a digital translator, and usually is a large increase in coverage compared to previous analog signals.

jegrant said:
I'd encourage anyone with a TBN translator that wants the TBN digital mux (package of 5 channels) to look it up at recnet.com - because TBN has filed for several "Flash Cut Digital" applications that will allow them to cease analog operations of their translator and instead provide digital service on the same channel.
The most interesting news about these flash cut applications is most of them are for 15kW, which is the maximum power for a digital translator, and usually is a large increase in coverage compared to previous analog signals.

Thanks for that bit of info, I actually do live an area where the TBN translator has an app pending to go to Digital on their current analog channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)