Do tech's normally carry dishes with them?

andreah1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Try to keep a long story short as my frustration wants to keep me spouting off. Had a tech at the house yesterday as 2 722k's were having problems regarding a switch test. After hooking up both only got limited channels (example - got animal planet but not ID, no locals). We also receive Distant Networks. The tech didn't even do a switch test first to see what was going on, just went up on the roof and took down the dish that is pointed to 119 (I have become very versed at this just in 24 hours, before I didn't know what 119 even was lol) because he said he thinks the two dishes are "fighting each other". He then hooked up a new receiver and all was fine. EXCEPT no Distant Networks. After a couple phone calls to Distant Networks they said that it sounded like there was something wrong with the dish pointing to 119 and they are having alot of problems with people on the east coast because Dish has new satellites and the tech's think no one needs 119 anymore. So I go look outside and the dish is gone! I know I already said that in the beginning of my message but at the time I didn't know as I wasn't home when them came (my husband was and didn't know the difference either). And before I knew all this, did a bunch of troubleshooting with Dish and they are sending a tech back on Thursday to figure out the problem (which I now know is the missing dish!). My question mainly is do the tech's usually carry extra dishes with them? Or do I need to contact Dish customer service to be sure to let the tech company know what the actual problem is? I do have a pm in to Mary B but wanted to ask here as well.
Needless to say, I was about ready to call Dish last night and tell them to take everything out of my house. Why don't the tech's ASK if a customer has any of the Distant Network channels? I can't be the only person that does.

We had two, he took one down. What ticks me off more, then just left the screws in the roof, never sealed anything, nothing. Grr.

I'm not sure why you had two dishes. Do you also get international channels or are two dishes required for distant networks?

My Distant Networks said that a dish has to point to 119 and I believe originally locals were on that same dish and then alot of the other channels were on the other dish. He said that Dish has added new satellites so that isn't necessary anymore EXCEPT that you do still need a dish to point to 119 and that's why 2 are needed.

The dish normally used for the 722 receivers is able to point at three satellites, 110, 119 and 129. There shouldn't be a need for a second dish and I'm assuming that's why the tech took it down.

andreah1 I do understand everything you posted, and you are now very well versed.

What All American Direct said is 100% correct, installers using the Eastern Arc installation would not think to ask about needing the 119 satellite. I wouldn't really expect them to because they rarely are going to run into that. But sometimes even explaining you need 119 doesn't convince them.

I have an Eastern Arc AND 119/118, for the reason you do, distants, and for me also to get programming from 118. So it can be done. If your locals in HD are off the Western Arc and the Eastern Arc, and you can see all three satellites on the Western Arc, I would just use the Western Arc. (119/110/129) If your locals in HD are off the Eastern Arc only, you can get just the two satellites you need (61.5/72.) and get 119 with a separate dish.

I assume we are getting ours from the eastern arc, I'm not at home but I remember seeing the number 61.5 and something else in that range, maybe 72? As far as I know, my locals aren't in hd either (now I'm jealous). So when they call to confirm the appt. should I be sure they know all of this BEFORE he comes? Will they understand what I'm talking about? Do I just tell them "he" took down the dish that we need to pick up 119 distant networks and assume they will understand that? Or should I call Dish back (or wait for Mary B from DIRT) and tell them this needs to be listed on the "work order"?
I'm glad someone knows what I'm talking about, thought I was going crazy! :rant:

129 probably comes in too low in the horizon on the east coast. You will need a 119 wing dish and an EA dish. Depending on the type of ea Inb they carry you nay also need a 44 switch to tie it all together.

And the prior tech not knowing, and not testing the system before hightailing it out of there (gonna have to look up the origins of that phrase) - well, just UNGOOD.

Of course the first thing he tells my husband is he has 16 years experience so the hubs trusted he knew what he was doing! Grr. All worked fine before with the 2 dishes, just the receiver took a poop, hard drive starting to fail so when I hooked up the new one the switch problem started. I hooked the old one back up and it was fine until a few hours later and all of a sudden that also had a switch problem and "lost channels". Should I tell Dish that I need to speak with this company BEFORE they come out so they understand what I need instead of getting there and saying "oh, I don't carry that with me". Not sure....

And the prior tech not knowing, and not testing the system before hightailing it out of there (gonna have to look up the origins of that phrase) - well, just UNGOOD.

I would have stronger language for this behavior than "ungood"! Reminds of the first tech that came to my house to do a Dish Mover. He failed to show on Friday, but came out unannounced on Saturday and as his first act cut my cable Internet service for no apparent reason.

Regarding hightailing it out of there, Dictionary.com has this to say:

Origin:
1885–90, Americanism; high + tail[SUP]1 [/SUP], in reference to the raised tails of fleeing animals, as deer or rabbits

I'd be calling said tech back.Where is my dang dish?Installer tried to make off with one of my dish 500 with twin lnb.I made him remove it from his truck.Hopefully MaryB will get you taken care of,she has helped us several times.

I would have stronger language for this behavior than "ungood"! Reminds of the first tech that came to my house to do a Dish Mover. He failed to show on Friday, but came out unannounced on Saturday and as his first act cut my cable Internet service for no apparent reason.

Regarding hightailing it out of there, Dictionary.com has this to say:

My Dish installer did the exact same thing 3 or 4 years ago. I was switching from Directv to Dish but used cable for internet. The installer took the Directv dish off the roof and cut the line between the Charter lock box outside and my modem without asking me. Of course I had no idea that my internet was out until after he was gone. I had to miss another day of work to wait for the charter guy to fix his mess.

It's not like he used the same line either. He made his own entries into the house. I don't understand their need to wreck the other companies work during your installation. Even if I was a Charter TV customer switching to Dish, who's to say I wouldn't be switching back in a few years?

I'm waiting to hear from Mary before I call the other place, I actually had to trace them thru the phone number on my caller id because he didn't leave a card or anything. Geesh. Hopefully Mary will reply soon, I would much rather someone from Dish talk to them at this point, I'm afraid of what I might say, ha ha. I just want my stinkin' dish back.

I'd be calling said tech back.Where is my dang dish?Installer tried to make off with one of my dish 500 with twin lnb.I made him remove it from his truck.Hopefully MaryB will get you taken care of,she has helped us several times.

Just to set the record straight, the post that 129 is too low is not correct. In Florida for instance the Western Arc is the one installed in many cases. But for a tree, I could see 129 in Ct year round. It is lower than the other satellites, yes and can at times be a problem.
But not having your locals in HD makes me think you are supposed to be on the Western Arc? If you give us your zip code or city we can figure it out. (or you can by going to the dishchannelcharts above.)

Best chance to get all this right is to stick with the DIRT team, in this case Mary.

13357 Also, just looked on the receiver that hasn't been changed and I have 77, 72, 61.5 and of course the missing 119.

Just to set the record straight, the post that 129 is too low is not correct. In Florida for instance the Western Arc is the one installed in many cases. But for a tree, I could see 129 in Ct year round. It is lower than the other satellites, yes and can at times be a problem.
But not having your locals in HD makes me think you are supposed to be on the Western Arc? If you give us your zip code or city we can figure it out. (or you can by going to the dishchannelcharts above.)

Best chance to get all this right is to stick with the DIRT team, in this case Mary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)