Do the latest D* Dish/DVRs still require 2 lines from the dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jkozlow3

Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I read a post somewhere (don't remember where) that indicated that the newest D* dish and/or DVRs only required a single line from the dish to the DVR to take advantage of both tuners. Is this true with the newest equipment or would a SWM still be required?

I only have 1 line now and running a second line would be VERY difficult in my house. I find it ridiculous that E* has been able to do this with a single line for years but not D*.

Thanks!

just one wire with the latest lnb technology from directv. the swm lnb. it supports up to 4 dvr's/8 receivers. or you may also use the swm multi switch. i prefer the swm lnb. the swm lnb is now used for most if not all standard installations so you should be fine

just one wire with the latest lnb technology from directv. the swm lnb. it supports up to 8 dvr's/receivers. or you may also use the swm multi switch. i prefer the swm lnb. the swm lnb is now used for most if not all standard installations so you should be fine

It supports 8 tuners not 8 DVR's. DVR's count as 2 tuners.

just one wire with the latest lnb technology from directv. the swm lnb. it supports up to 4 dvr's/8 receivers. or you may also use the swm multi switch. i prefer the swm lnb. the swm lnb is now used for most if not all standard installations so you should be fine

OK, so this LNB is provided for free during a standard installation? I remember reading about the SWM that could be purchased for $150.

I am thinking of switching from E* but do not wish to pay an extra $150 in order to use a single cable like I can currently with Dish.

yes the swm lnb is now a standard in the free install that directv offers. you can confirm this when you call to order directv

SWM LNB is only standard in certain areas, and only with HD with more the 5 tuners.

Our area still uses the 18x20 for SD installs, so we still have to use 2 lines for a DVR. Also if you don't have more than 5 tuners they will not allow the use of SWM. So check your area to see if you can get SWM.

i agree. this is why i said most areas according to my experience and many other posts here and at DBS. I've also seen many cases that an swm lnb was provided even though the customer was only purchasing one hd dvr or two. The best thing for the OP to do is call like you said to be very clear what's available in his or her area.

If you make it perfectly clear to Directv when ordering that you want a DVR but can't get a 2nd line to it and do not want only one line ran to it so you have full functionality, you should be ok. Make sure you have the sales rep make notes on you acct that you NEED a swm dish. Also, make sure you call Directv a day or two before your install and get the name and number of the company that will be doing the install. Then call them and tell them the same thing, you NEED a swm dish or you're not getting Directv. If you do all that and have a sales rep whos worth a damn, you should be ok.

I just hd D* installed this past weekend (in GA) and ordered 1 HD-DVR, 1 HD receiver, & 1 SD receiver. My intaller put in a SWM Dish and only needed to use 1 line for each, including the HD-DVR. He said that he was doing all his installs that way now since this newer technology made his job eaiser. So it may depend on the installation company and installer. But it worked out great for me!

Well I hate to say it folks, but these installers won't be able to change to a SWM any longer. Direct is forcing installers to use the AU9 LNB even if you order more than 5 tuners they may still not have the SWM on the work order. If it is not on the order Direct now refuses to put one on.

Alas you may get an installer that just uses a SWM on his own without changing the work order. That wont last long either, because if Direct finds out a SWM was used they are back charging the installer $139.

I had 3 HD installs today. One of them was for a HD-DVR, DVR, and a standard receiver. A total of 5 tuners but it did not have a SWM on it. Direct refused to put a SWM on it. The customer allowed the the DVR's with one line only, but he really considered not going through with it. I had another HD install that was a HD-DVR and HD. Fully finished brick house, with No way to get a second line to the HD-DVR and Direct would not modify. Customer canceled.

If you make it perfectly clear to Directv when ordering that you want a DVR but can't get a 2nd line to it and do not want only one line ran to it so you have full functionality, you should be ok. Make sure you have the sales rep make notes on you acct that you NEED a swm dish. Also, make sure you call Directv a day or two before your install and get the name and number of the company that will be doing the install. Then call them and tell them the same thing, you NEED a swm dish or you're not getting Directv. If you do all that and have a sales rep whos worth a damn, you should be ok.

It does not matter if you have a good sales rep or not. The system picks if you get SWM. Doing all that will guarantee nothing.

as liquidforce said, its the computer that decides in some cases and it doesn't matter who you call.
your best bet is to call a local retailer and see if they will do swm for no additional costs

I just hd D* installed this past weekend (in GA) and ordered 1 HD-DVR, 1 HD receiver, & 1 SD receiver. My intaller put in a SWM Dish and only needed to use 1 line for each, including the HD-DVR. He said that he was doing all his installs that way now since this newer technology made his job eaiser. So it may depend on the installation company and installer. But it worked out great for me!

You wouldn't be in the Atlanta area, would you? I live in the northern Atlanta suburbs and am just curious what folks are getting around here on new installs.

It is completely RIDICULOUS that D* would finally catch up with E* with a single wire solution, only to start severely restricting it's use. I'm guessing the same installer that can't/won't install a SWM-LNB also won't be willing to crawl through an insulation filled attic crawl space to run a second line. And if that's the case, then there would be another canceled order.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)