Do the ViP receivers pass DD through HDMI?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dishdude

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
I have an old 612 and just bought a new soundbar. The 612 is connected to the TV with HDMI, and the soundbar is connected to the TV with an optical cable. If I use the TV's internal tuner, the Dolby Digital light on the soundbar comes on. If I am using the 612, I can't get the DD light to come on.

The 612 is set to DD/PCM in the audio output menu, and obviously the TV is set correctly since it works with the internal tuner.

I have an old 612 and just bought a new soundbar. The 612 is connected to the TV with HDMI, and the soundbar is connected to the TV with an optical cable. If I use the TV's internal tuner, the Dolby Digital light on the soundbar comes on. If I am using the 612, I can't get the DD light to come on.

The 612 is set to DD/PCM in the audio output menu, and obviously the TV is set correctly since it works with the internal tuner.
Run HDMI from 612 to sound bar INPUT, Run HDMI from out of sound bar to TV

Your TV may not be able to pass DD from HDMI sources. Some can some can't, generally older ones can not. If your soundbar does not have HDMI in you may be out of luck. My TV can, I have my 612 connected to the TV with HDMI and an optical out to the soundbar and get 5.1 DD.

Doesn't the 612 have an optical out? You can run HDMI to the TV and optical out from the 612 to the sound bar.
Two of my TVs (both over 10 years old) cannot pass through DD from an HDMI source. The third (only 18 months old) does.
I currently have my 622 hooked up to my receiver via optical out and the TV via HDMI. I also have the TV hooked up to the receiver via its optical output.

One other thing, at one time when you had the "Alternate Audio" set to anything other than English, it would sometimes affect the 622's optical output's ability to output DD even if there were no alternate audio. This was on the few SD channels that used to have DD a while ago. I don't think it's an issue with the HD channels, but something to check.

One other thing, at one time when you had the "Alternate Audio" set to anything other than English, it would sometimes affect the 622's optical output's ability to output DD even if there were no alternate audio. This was on the few SD channels that used to have DD a while ago. I don't think it's an issue with the HD channels, but something to check.
Excellent point I do think DD does not work if an alternate audio is used.
There is indeed an optical out on the 612. I have never used it, I don't know if audio goes to both it and the HDMI simultaneously. (Probably does) I also don't know if there would be an audio delay problem, but certainly worth trying.

When I had my 722k's running attached to the Logitech Revue's(remember them), the DD wouldn't pass through the Revue while the HDMI cable was hooked up from the 722k to the HDMI cable in on the Revue, & the HDMI cable out from the Revue to either my tv or audio/video receiver. I had to use the digital optical output on the 722k in order to get DD sound. You should be able to use HDMI for video AND digital optical output on your ViP at the same time.

IIRC the 622 and 612 are identical except for the second output. So I don't see why the optical out would not work at the same time as HDMI. There IS a very slight audio delay. I'd say about 50ms. It is noticeable, but only just.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)