Do they train these technicians or what?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
The sub-contractor came on time. THAT'S THE HIGHLIGHT.

Walked straight in, hooked up the box (Wally) ran the system update, asked for some water and a place to charge his phone and then asked if I had any questions.

Uh, yea it's been 4 years without any service how about checking the outside of my house? This guy checks the side wiring on the house NEVER ONCE stepping up to the roof to double check the Dish or LNB.

I asked what about the new black dishes I've seen around town and while true he replied, gray... black... their all the same and on top of that he knew nothing or how to install (simple) the OTA Dongle. He asked me about it but yet said he's been installing dishes since 2004. I'm so glad he wasn't my original installer.

On top of all this, somethings wrong either with the receiver or dongle as the minute it finishes searching for channels and before I hit SAVE the damn system reboots itself. It's been doing this all freaking day long.

Dish is coming back again tomorrow with hopefully a new box, if that don't work... maybe a defective dongle? This is super odd.

The sub-contractor came on time. THAT'S THE HIGHLIGHT.

Walked straight in, hooked up the box (Wally) ran the system update, asked for some water and a place to charge his phone and then asked if I had any questions.

Uh, yea it's been 4 years without any service how about checking the outside of my house? This guy checks the side wiring on the house NEVER ONCE stepping up to the roof to double check the Dish or LNB.

I asked what about the new black dishes I've seen around town and while true he replied, gray... black... their all the same and on top of that he knew nothing or how to install (simple) the OTA Dongle. He asked me about it but yet said he's been installing dishes since 2004. I'm so glad he wasn't my original installer.

On top of all this, somethings wrong either with the receiver or dongle as the minute it finishes searching for channels and before I hit SAVE the damn system reboots itself. It's been doing this all freaking day long.

Dish is coming back again tomorrow with hopefully a new box, if that don't work... maybe a defective dongle? This is super odd.
Unfortunately, you apparently got a lazy & cocky tech. Better luck tomorrow. Hopefully it's not the same guy.

Always had great dish corporate techs out to my has that knew what they were talking about, can't say the same for the one time dish sent a sub-contractor. Now I make a request for corporate tech.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
Always had great dish corporate techs out to my has that knew what they were talking about, can't say the same for the one time dish sent a sub-contractor. Now I make a request for corporate tech.

That is who came to my house yesterday morning, a corporate tech . I was very impressed and he helped peak two of my sat dishes in under 20 minutes and cleaned up any mess , gave me some DISH approved barrel connectors for free. Sub contractors is why I learned to do my own installs for so many years. But the hybrid lnb was giving me some funny readings on some of the transponders and this tech had a super sat buddy that helped peak both lnbs -one hybrid and the other regular eastern arc lnb. Those sat buddy meters are cool and make their job easy to peak the dish in no time at all.:bigok

Reactions: charlesrshell
That is who came to my house yesterday morning, a corporate tech . I was very impressed and he helped peak two of my sat dishes in under 20 minutes and cleaned up any mess , gave me some DISH approved barrel connectors for free. Sub contractors is why I learned to do my own installs for so many years. But the hybrid lnb was giving me some funny readings on some of the transponders and this tech had a super sat buddy that helped peak both lnbs -one hybrid and the other regular eastern arc lnb. Those sat buddy meters are cool and make their job easy to peak the dish in no time at all.:bigok
Sat Buddy would make a nice Xmas gift to you. You need one with our your self satellite work you like to do.

Agree! Dish Corp are not only competent, but also VERY polite and are not put-off by some work required and are willing to accommodate requests for aesthetics both inside and outside.

While I have ONE retailer I do trust, it has been an almost universally NEGATIVE experience with contractors, at least here in the Los Angeles area with our fact of life population who love to cheat, steal, over-price and all with incompetent workmanship. The same is true for DirecTV contractors here, as well. Dish corp installers whenever possible around here.

Agree! Dish Corp are not only competent, but also VERY polite and are not put-off by some work required and are willing to accommodate requests for aesthetics both inside and outside.

While I have ONE retailer I do trust, it has been an almost universally NEGATIVE experience with contractors, at least here in the Los Angeles area with our fact of life population who love to cheat, steal, over-price and all with incompetent workmanship. The same is true for DirecTV contractors here, as well. Dish corp installers whenever possible around here.
I think there are some super DISH retailers that are SatGuys members. I wish they were closer to me in the St Louis area.

Reactions: JSheridan
Sub-Contractors are not always a good thing. I had the same issue when I had DTV installed back in 2012, the Sub-Contractors left their mess and failed to cleanup after themselves among other things. DTV sent their quality assurance team and reinstalled it properly the next day.

he knew nothing or how to install (simple) the OTA Dongle.
The OTA dongles are strictly a DIY item. Installers never carry nor supply them and I've also never heard of any techs doing a service call for one. I would bet that they receive ZERO training on them, so unless the installer has one at their own home, they know as much about them as you.

On top of all this, somethings wrong either with the receiver or dongle as the minute it finishes searching for channels and before I hit SAVE the damn system reboots itself.
I have no idea how it works on the receiver you have, but on the Hopper, the first time you plug it in, do nothing but wait.... You should get a prompt telling you it's detected the module and it has to reboot. Let it go through that process. After it has restarted, then do the channel scan.

Reactions: Yragha and Bobby
Also, obvious question, but it still needs to be asked. You did connect an antenna to the dongle before doing the scan?
He says, in one of the other threads that he has brought this up, that he scans and receives 140 channels. He has an antenna connected. ;)

I'm wondering where he is that he can actually get 140 channels. I realize that there a sub-channels and such, but.... I live in the SF Bay Area and while I don't get every station, I still only get about 60 channels.

Reactions: AZ. and Yragha
The world may never know, sounds like the Tootsie Pop phrase cause immediately after I scan my Wally reboots without a chance to save, scroll thru 'em or anything. What's up, I dunno. Tried two Wally's, the minute Dish has another Dongle in stock I'll exchange this one to see if it's defective but I'm leaning toward the software needing an update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts