Do you agree/Disagree how Dish Network Handle the Voom Massacre?

Do you agree how dish did not inform customers about taking down 10 voom channels?

• Yes

Votes: 139 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 392 73.8%

• Total voters
I voted no because when they do not have enough National HD to match their competition. II actually enjoy Rave, Equator and the Kungfu Channel.
Have lame to add channels with one hand and take channels with another.
This will really piss the HD ultimate subscribers.

There will always be exceptions, but I stand by my initial post about the masses. Certainly Smithsonian and MGM aren't "broad appeal" channels, but at least they're financial viable and seem to be backed by people who want to keep the channels on the forward edge of things...that cannot be said about VOOM.

And to add to this point, Charlie stated today in the earnings call,

Q
Voom channels what does this mean in it's carriage of these channels,
A:
Charlie - the Voom channels, we are going to take the Voom channels down, have already took down 2/3rds and will take down the rest when we can; We can replace those channels with other channels of comperative value.

I guess this could be why they decided to add Smitsonian and MGM, but who knows what they are thinking.

Use of firmware counters to measure VOOM is very unfair.

I feel so strongly about this I thought about starting a separate forum title. If some of you more veteran folks think that would be a better way to go, you have my permission to move or copy my post.

Based on several posts in related forums, it seems DISH made the decision to throw VOOM under the wheels of the bus based on the counters that tell them how many people view each of their channels. As a DISH subscriber who added the HD options as soon as they became available, I say this is the most bogus justification I have heard in a long, long time.

I am one of the folks who feel it is wrong to sell me additional channels and then, after months of reception problems, tell me I need a second dish in order to consistently watch the HD channels I've been paying for. Since I own my home but not my roof, adding a second dish is a big hassle.

Nevertheless, I stuck with DISH and watched the VOOM channels when the signal strength was strong enough. The specific channels that were viewable would vary from day to day. Even so, I/we watched many great movies and good shows on the VOOM channels over the past few years.

We would have watched VOOM more, probably much more, if we had received a strong enough signal for those channels. This problem only seemed to exist with the VOOM channels; not any other HD or any of the SD channels.

It seems and feels wrong, wrong, wrong to base a decision on a flawed measurement system that feeds you inaccurate data. I do not beleive my experience is an uncoomon one. I/we would have watched more VOOM and the counters would have reflected that if DISH had given us the ability to watch those channels without adding a second dish. Once again, the second dish option, was not mentioned until several months after selling us the additional HD channels.

If the last of the VOOM channels are discontinued too, it is time to follow-up on the option of combining my phone, internet, and satellite TV service - Direct TV - into one convenient bill; an option that is not available with DISH.

To those of you who criticize those who feel like switching providers, can't you understand that the only effective way consumers can influence providers is by voting with their pocketbook? Furthermore, when someone is expressing genuine feelings of shock and hurt, why do so many of you find it necessary to repeatedly dismiss us as "whiners"? That's really small of you.

I voted yes. From a business prospective why on earth announce they are taking down channels? I do not like losing channels from a consumer perspective. There is no other way for Dish to have handled this (aside from not taking down the channels). They kind of advertised channels coming soon by listing a bunch of channels that may or may not ever appear on Dish, but why advertise they are taking down channels?

To those of you who criticize those who feel like switching providers, can't you understand that the only effective way consumers can influence providers is by voting with their pocketbook?

Furthermore, when someone is expressing genuine feelings of shock and hurt, why do so many of you find it necessary to repeatedly dismiss us as "whiners"? That's really small of you.

The problem here is that -it appears- DISH felt they were already losing subs due to the lack of well known national HD channels.

They may continue to lose -some- subs because they removed the VOOM channels, but they since they already were, they needed to stop the bleeding.

It is not yet known why they removed the VOOM channels at this specific time, but perhaps they have more channels they intend to add .... "soon"

I do feel bad for those who enjoyed VOOM, however, I CAN understand DISH's reason for doing it. As a DISH supporter, I think it was the right move at this point in time. It is a matter of perception to the uninformed possible new Subscribers.

Unfortunately, the well known HD national channels (that may or may not be broadcasting anything in HD) are more valuable to DISH than the VOOM channels are at this time.

They have to keep up with DirecTV.... this is their effort.

They have had VOOM for a long while now, having the full HD VOOM channels apparently is not enough to keep DISH at the top.

I voted yes. From a business prospective why on earth announce they are taking down channels? I do not like losing channels from a consumer perspective. There is no other way for Dish to have handled this (aside from not taking down the channels). They kind of advertised channels coming soon by listing a bunch of channels that may or may not ever appear on Dish, but why advertise they are taking down channels?

Because it was a compete sham-job, especially to potential new customers who don't know any better. They come out yesterday with announcement of 22 new channels, yet they fail to mention about the subtraction of Voom. They should have just come out with a press release claiming HD lineup re-structuring with some "exciting" new changes. Instead, they make a big hoopla and then covertly removed Voom under the cover of darkness.

I answered the specific question: Do you agree how dish did not inform customers about taking down 10 voom channels?

My answer was Yes, I agree that Dish did not inform customers.

Now that I read the question a little bit more, I don't agree with HOW Dish did this. I think that they could have given us a little more notice that while they were "adding" 20 channels, they were taking away 15 for a net gain of 5.

Jeffro 34 tx: Your reponse in no way addresses using the channel view counter numbers as justification for removing the VOOM channels. If DISH had given us the ability to receive those channels on a consistent basis, the number of viewers recorded would have been notably higher.

I have a DISH 1000+ dish and I did watch the VOOM channels when the signal strength was strong enough. Over the years I've seen many others comment about this problem - at least until the louder voiced posters shouted them/us down and told us to either get a second dish or just shut up (E.g. Iceberg).

Once again, the only channels I had ongoing strength of signal issues with were the VOOM channels. It is just not right, from any point of view, to justify a decision based on an inaccurate measuring system that supplies you with flawed data. In your posts you repeatedly refer to the importance of making good business decisions. That will not happen with bad data and an inaccurate measuring system.

I answered the specific question: Do you agree how dish did not inform customers about taking down 10 voom channels?

My answer was Yes, I agree that Dish did not inform customers.

Now that I read the question a little bit more, I don't agree with HOW Dish did this. I think that they could have given us a little more notice that while they were "adding" 20 channels, they were taking away 15 for a net gain of 5.

Which makes the net-gain of actual HD channels negative-what? ;)

Jeffro 34 tx: Your reponse in no way addresses using the channel view counter numbers as justification for removing the VOOM channels.

I did not address it because I have no knowledge that DISH based such a decision on any information they got from any counters.

I only know what I have read from news releases from the trial they are currently in with VOOM.

It was my understanding that they felt VOOM was not upholding their end of their contract. (not spending and agreed upon amount of money on production for the VOOM channels) as for the real reason behind them removing the channels, who knows?!? I think Dish originally just wanted to change the tier that VOOM was in, VOOM refused... thus Charlie's actions.

again.. I could be wrong on any of this.. as it is a lot of speculation from information gathered from here and there.

I don't think anyone will have the truth behind it all.... but I seriously doubt it has anything to do with their internal counters not recognizing you having reception problems. I think Dish could see clearly that VOOM was not spending the money to produce the original programming it needed... they didn't even need to audit their financials for that.. but I suppose that is why they originally requested to audit them back in November.

I think that they could have given us a little more notice that while they were "adding" 20 channels, they were taking away 15 for a net gain of 5.

that's assuming that they do not add additional channels from the space left from removing VOOM.

It has been speculated that they are replacing the VOOM channels with HD channels in addition the the 20 HD channels they gave us on Monday.

But we can all wait and see when and if that really happens!

Usually the EGP will be changed to indicate the channel will no longer be available after a certain date.

I think the voom lawsuit prompted the abrupt addition of the new HD channels to calm complaints of the unannounced removal of voom.

that's assuming that they do not add additional channels from the space left from removing VOOM.

What the hell does everyone think they are going to replace them with? Of all the channels remaining to add, what is it that is such a golden treasure that will replace these channels? Nothing, not a thing. What, FX for more Keanu Reeves movies? Speed for racing that is sure to be pixelated to the point where it is unwatchable?

It has been speculated that they are replacing the VOOM channels with HD channels in addition the the 20 HD channels they gave us on Monday.
Who is speculating, the people that post on these forums? Yeah, that makes me feel better. Again, what channels does anyone think are coming to replace the 15 VOOMs? 15 freaking channels!

But we can all wait and see when and if that really happens!
I'll wait and see what happens ... to Dish Network. I finally see why people want to switch. Not only did Dish Network lie about 22 new channels, they didn't even have the common decency or RESPECT for us, the existing customers, to give advance notice of the changes so we could record a few of the shows we were planning to watch later in the week.

22 channels was a total LIE. This is a dirty company that LIES. Do the math, 22 Channels - USA and SCIFI - 15 VOOMS - WFN (WTF!?!) = One giant pile of crap of a company.

What the hell does everyone think they are going to replace them with? Of all the channels remaining to add, what is it that is such a golden treasure that will replace these channels? Nothing, not a thing. What, FX for more Keanu Reeves movies? Speed for racing that is sure to be pixelated to the point where it is unwatchable?

Who is speculating, the people that post on these forums? Yeah, that makes me feel better. Again, what channels does anyone think are coming to replace the 15 VOOMs? 15 freaking channels!

I'll wait and see what happens ... to Dish Network. I finally see why people want to switch. Not only did Dish Network lie about 22 new channels, they didn't even have the common decency or RESPECT for us, the existing customers, to give advance notice of the changes so we could record a few of the shows we were planning to watch later in the week.

22 channels was a total LIE. This is a dirty company that LIES. Do the math, 22 Channels - USA and SCIFI - 15 VOOMS - WFN (WTF!?!) = One giant pile of crap of a company.

Yep, I agree with everything you have said.

What the hell does everyone think they are going to replace them with? Of all the channels remaining to add, what is it that is such a golden treasure that will replace these channels?

And when they do start adding channels to the VOOM bird, they're going to stuff it so full of over-compressed fake HD channels the satellite is going to feel like a rented mule. Replacement channels of comparable value, sure.

I'm with you 100%. Could not have said it better myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)