Do you agree/Disagree how Dish Network Handle the Voom Massacre?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Do you agree how dish did not inform customers about taking down 10 voom channels?

• Yes

Votes: 139 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 392 73.8%

• Total voters
Believe me, I'm no fan of Charlie. I thought VOOM added value to the DN name and that many of the shows were quite enjoyable (I'm appreciating them more now that they're gone). And the sleazy way Charlie handled this is not surprising.

However.....what did you want him to do? Even to the loyalist, VOOM simply wasn't throwing its resources into creating new content. Charlie contracted for a certain level of expenditure and VOOM didn't provide it. I can't expect him to continue to pay the agreed-upon fees, holding up his part of the bargain, while VOOM fails to live up to its obligations.

If bandwidth is truly not the issue then there should be no reason we need to CHOOSE between VOOM and the other new HD channels. They are different creatures and DISH marketing could still, IMO, leverage the VOOM suite to its advantage.

I really hope DN and VOOM can get back together.

DISH Networks handling of the VOOM scuttle... hmmmm. Let's see. Their 2007 website pages actively promoted VOOM as a centerpiece of the package I authorized in February of that year. The glossy channel line-up card they gave me upon installation featured pronounced highlighting of 27 HD channels, of which 15 were from VOOM. Five days ago I had five commercial-free movie channels including 4 VOOM channels with outstanding programming. They trashed those and gave me only MGM Movies in return. So I am down to two commercial-free movie channels, where once I had five. Diminution of service factor = -60%

Nothing can replace Gallery and Treasure because the level of esthetic excellence of each of those channels was magnitudes above any other programming; ergo, there is no comparable trade-off. Diminution of service factor = -100% for each of those two incomparable channels.

During one of my several telephone confrontations, a service rep tried to tell me that A&E was comparable replacement viewing for Gallery! Both service reps, both floor supervisors, and one general manager to whom I spoke on the telephone all admitted that they had never watched any of the VOOM channels! DISH employees apparently have no understanding of the content quality of the VOOM package!

Another service rep pointed out that even though all fifteen (count 'em - 15) VOOM channels are now gone, we have 22 new "replacement" HD channels, as if it were only about numbers (which it is, for corporations), but most of those are "companion" channels, already represented in my package by their SD incarnations. I tried pointing out that CNN in HD doesn't really improve the news, and the Weather Channel in HD is still just weather!

When asked about Rave, they told me that MHD is the comparable viewing channel, but I already had MHD. In my esteem, 2 - 1 = 1. Diminution of service factor = -%50.

Rush is swapped, they claimed, for the World Fishing Network... diminution of service = -100% so far as my viewing preferences are concerned. Why not the Embroidery Channel? Knit one, purl one! Or how about the Lawn Mowing Network? We can watch the grass grow.

The service reps were apologetic but schooled in shifty argumentation as they continually tried to persuade me that the numbers were all that mattered. The floor supervisors were apologetic, just as weasely about the quantity of channels (versus the standard of esthetic excellence of the VOOM offerings), and all of them insisted that DISH is the #1 service provider of satellite broadcasting, superior to their competitors in every way. I would counter them at every turn by defiantly telling them that both DISH and DirecTV were now nearly indistinguishable clones of one another. They never relented. The general manager I finally reached after much insistence was polite, but unapologetic, harsh, and unyielding. One out of four just isn't good enough. If heads are eventually to roll, I nominate his.

Conclusion: VOOM and DISH Network are at each others throats over the Penetration Requirement and the Spending Requirement of their 2005 Affiliation Agreement; therefore, the customers must be penalized.

If it's only to be about numbers, then let's focus on the fact that my package originally featured five 24-7 commercial-free movie channels, but DISH unilaterally slashed that number to 2 without any notice. How is it they expect me to honor my commitment when they don't honor theirs? Could be grounds for a class-action suit.... could be.

Finally, a parting note. A friend upstate called to tell me that his complaints had resulted in a $10 reduction in his monthly DISH bill. That's why I sought in the first place to acquire the same recompense for my billing! After my fifth attempt at getting the same adjustment, I was finally rebuffed quite sternly by the highest ranking rep I could reach. This morning, though, when my wife made her first attempt, there was something new at DISH. Their call-directing robot now offered a specific choice just for complaints about the HD programming issues! It took my shark-sharp spouse just seven minutes to get the $10 off our monthly bill for the duration of our commitment, at which time we will consider renegotiation or shopping around (whatever that means now). And she didn't even have to go beyond the first rep who answered the phone. We have only three months left on our 18-month commitment. GET YOUR $10 OFF NOW!

I feel sorry for folks who signed on last month with the notion that they would be watching VOOM channels for the next year and a half. My guess is they will be the principle plaintiffs in the suit.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for folks who signed on last month with the notion that they would be watching VOOM channels for the next year and a half. My guess is they will be the principle plaintiffs in the suit.

LOL. :haha But welcome anyway.

Wtf can someone list the 10 channels they took off i am on a laptop with dial up at my sisters house most pages don't want to load. I know if they took off the voom channels i watched im going to be pissed. I watched kungfu fashion channel or whatever it was called and rush they should lower my bill for this crap.:mad:

The new channels are just as bad if not worse a west version of cinemax wtf no point with dvr's and fishing channel blows that crap needs to be taken off its horrible. The new toon channels, like we need that they are not even in hd yet we get no speed hd or atleast local fox hd ugh 1 year left on contract might just front the dam cancellation charge this is bad news.

Looks like my days with dish are limited been with them since 2004 might just actually leave them and not pay for tv again for awhile. Tv today is full of commercials for erectile dysfunction i can get more time to work out this summer now that my back is better time to slim down thanks dish for making it easier to leave.:D

P.S a simple we poll of the least/most favorite voom channels could have alleviated some of the frustration at least we would have has a say which ones go or stay. Piss poor way to due this lol.

Wtf can someone list the 10 channels they took off i am on a laptop with dial up at my sisters house most pages don't want to load. I know if they took off the voom channels i watched im going to be pissed. I watched kungfu fashion channel or whatever it was called and rush they should lower my bill for this crap.:mad:

The new channels are just as bad if not worse a west version of cinemax wtf no point with dvr's and fishing channel blows that crap needs to be taken off its horrible. The new toon channels, like we need that they are not even in hd yet we get no speed hd or atleast local fox hd ugh 1 year left on contract might just front the dam cancellation charge this is bad news.

Looks like my days with dish are limited been with them since 2004 might just actually leave them and not pay for tv again for awhile. Tv today is full of commercials for erectile dysfunction i can get more time to work out this summer now that my back is better time to slim down thanks dish for making it easier to leave.:D

P.S a simple we poll of the least/most favorite voom channels could have alleviated some of the frustration at least we would have has a say which ones go or stay. Piss poor way to due this lol.

Unfortunately, all 15 are removed, not just 10. They are all gone.

If it's ONLY about numbers...

As a voracious cinephile all my life, having access to movies was a factor in my decision to sign up for Dish Network's HD package back in February 2007. I even like old movies, which furnish some background entertainment in my art studio as I plug away at the easel or clatter on the keyboard. And when I actually took the time to watch, even old fifties black-'n'-white flicks looked great resampled to 1080i... really GREAT!

So even if Dish just wants to talk numbers, look at it this way... With respect only to the availability of commercial-free motion pictures (the only ones I'm interested in - the way the director intended them to be seen), the Dish HD package offered Universal HD and the four Voom movie channels - Kung Fu, Monsters, World Cinema, and Film Fest. In essence, that would be 120 hours of non-Premium commercial-free motion picture viewing options DAILY.

Taking out the four Voom channels and replacing them only with MGM Movies effectively reduces the options from five down to two channels with a new sub-total of only 48 hours of non-Premium commercial-free motion picture viewing options DAILY.

Not to be too whiny about this, the plain truth is that the reason we want to have 200 TV channels to choose from is that between the wide variety of productions and the specificity of our individual tastes, each of us needs 200 channels in order to be certain that there may be at least a few alternative choices suitable to our personal preferences at any given moment. Let's be generous and say that 50 channels actually equals one strong candidate choice. Therefore 200 channels equals perhaps four candidate choices. Choice is a boiled-down essence, not the whole ball of wax that hyperbolic advertising would like us to believe. Every one of us watches many fewer channels than the entire spread that is available. When it comes to movies, Dish Network chopped my non-Premium commercial-free motion picture options down to 40% of what they were before the attrition. That's a diminution of service, a violation of contract in my opinion. The term "bait and switch" comes to mind, especially in the case of customers who only recently signed on to the Dish Network HD package with Voom channels.

Them's the numbers, folks, regarding only movies - never mind Voom's overall quality of programming fare. By the way, don't fail to note that our household eventually succeeded in getting $10 off our monthly HD package billing. That's half the $20 charged for the HD package we have. Call the Dish Network customer service number on your bill and be firm and focused. When they tell you they're number one, deny it vociferously - "No you're not! Not any more! Not without Voom!" Tell 'em you want $10 off your bill until your current commitment expires, at which time you intend to re-evaluate your willingness to continue subscribing to Dish Network satellite service. When they offer to "make an adjustment" by giving you their even sparser $10 HD package, tell them, "No!" You're not asking for a further reduction in viewing fare, you're demanding a discount on the package you already have. Don't take "No" for an answer. It's unacceptable.

Remember, I tried five times unsuccessfully over a 2-day period, going up through three levels of Dish customer service reps. On the third day, when my wife tried her first time, she found that Dish had put up a special number to press just for HD complaints. She got the $10 discount she wanted from the very first person she talked to. Firm and focused, duration of current commitment, ten bucks off the monthly bill. PERIOD. Dish knows something's in the wind. It behooves them to negotiate in a reasonable way.

I, for one, found it absolutely despicable behavior. Voom was the sole reason I remained a Dish client. Contrary to what was said, I watched the majority of the Voom channels regularly - I've had Voom from the very get-go when they were a DBS provider. There were aspects of cultural niche programming on Voom you'll not find elsewhere. Really pissed me off!!!

The Trade's report Dish signed less than 30K new subs last quarter. No mention of churn (subs lost during the same period).

As I see it, unless you're a foreign language sub, there's really no Dish advantage over DirecTV.

I have since downgraded to HD only + HBO, MAX, SHO, and STARZ and capture 21 of my own locals OTA (29.99 p/m HD Only, $31 p/m for HBO, SHO, STARZ, MAX $0.01 p/y). They also gave me $10 credit p/m for one year to keep me; no contract. So 30+31+DVR 6 - 10 = 57+tax. If they don't show considerable improvement I'll go DirecTV.

I'm also considering dropping SHO given they're facing content issues as the studios have basically cut them off; $47 + tax.

Dish's revenue stream is shrinking and will continue for quite some time.

Wish there was 3rd DBS provider, as I really dislike Dish. Charter has no HD to speak of, here. I'm going for the ride for a while and see where we end up in a few months.

I'm just going to hang for awhile until something/anything happens. I have already downgraded and will watch closely if Voom is picked up by anyone. I'm still hoping they can work something out. I was pretty happy with E* until last week. D* has football and my locals so I'm going to give them a looking over.

They did not use Voom to their advantage

They can not make you smile if they don't have anything to smile about themselves. Just look at their last two quarterly numbers, if DISH is to survive, them must do what DirecTV is doing.

VOOM has not been a selling point and has been a drag. VOOM must go in order for DISH to reach that 100 HD goal in order to survive. DISH has no luxury to make you guys smile while trying to turn things around at the same time.

I disagree completely they did not use Voom to their advantage at all. They did not market it and infact the charged extra for it when it should have been part of the HD package. You can see from the many upset Voom people whom have watched it that the content is top and the clarity. If they marketed it and provided as part of the HD line up then they would increase sales and have a larger group whom would not bid and look elswhere based on price. Dish can not compete against directv on price or channels that is a dumb move. They have always been more expensive and still are. If they do not bring back Voom in two months I am going to cancel and I am also going to talk to everyone in my circles to make sure others do not use dish as well. Removing Voom is a huge mistake and I hope they go out of business for doing that!:mad:

ROBDOGGS requested a list

Oops! I meant ROBDOGGZ... sorry

These are the 15 VOOM channels that DishNetwork summarily removed without prior notification or customer surveys of any kind.

1. 9474/Animania HD - great CGI animation plus reformatted oldies
2. 9471/Equator HD - every bit as good as National Geographic
3. 9486/Family Room HD - what it sounds like
4. 9480/Film Fest HD - great commercial-free indie motion pictures
5. 9472/Gallery HD - all art-related programming 24-7, cream of the crop
6. 9485/GamePlay HD - video game play and reviews, great for gamers
7. 9482/HDNews - adequate news in HD
8. 9479/Kung Fu HD - 24-7 martial arts (incl. Zatoichi) commercial-free
9. 9481/Monsters HD - 24-7 horror flicks commercial-free
10. 9470/Rave HD - full-length music concerts
11. 9476/Rush HD - Xtreme sports
12. 9472/Treasure HD - collecting and obsessive vocations
13. 9478/Ultra HD - high fashion, architecture, int. design, restaurant review
14. 9475/World Cinema HD - 24-7 commercial free indie motion pictures
15. 9477/WorldSport HD - Latin soccer and other world sports

This is everything between 9470 and 9486

Last edited:
This is horrible to remove those all hd channels for sub par 4:3 sd crap so called hd channels. There has been no hd on any of the new channels worth even watching. I cant believe how crappy the fishing and tennis channels are its a joke. Also my last rant why the hell are the newer so called hd channels listed in the 300's i used to just browse all hd in the 9000's. :mad:

This is horrible to remove those all hd channels for sub par 4:3 sd crap so called hd channels. There has been no hd on any of the new channels worth even watching. I cant believe how crappy the fishing and tennis channels are its a joke. Also my last rant why the hell are the newer so called hd channels listed in the 300's i used to just browse all hd in the 9000's. :mad:
You may not like tennis, and that's fine, but Tennis Channel has tons of HD, so not fair to put it into the 4:3 category. As a matter of fact, at this very moment I'm watching the French Open and what will be in excess of 10 straight hours of HD content today. I'm a huge Voom fan, but also a tennis freak, so TC was one of the new channels I'm very excited about.

Value, worth, rank, esteem, etc.

...no hd on any of the new channels worth even watching.... :mad:

MGM MOVIES is decent enough, commercial-free motion picture programming. It does feature some foreign film content and some fine indie stuff, but it also has banal lowbrow 80s disco drivel flicks and valley girl vacuous video. It is hardly what I would call a fair trade for taking away WorldCinema, FilmFest, Kung Fu, and Monsters. If Dish was a chess opponent, he'd be saying, "I'll give you a Pawn for that Rook... OK? That's fair, isn't it? They're both made out of wood!"

I suppose you could say SMITHSONIAN is a trade-off for EQUATOR, though I prefer the latter to the former. Smithsonian is a bit more culturally-oriented while Equator was more naturalist.

The rest is pretty much as Robodoggz describes it: some widescreen HD yes, but quite a bit of 4:3 pap to pad out the vacuum left by VOOM and hopefully assuage the hurt feelings of customers who were actually watching/enjoying/relishing those channels. Some HD channels can't even properly display their screen ratio. Skinnies become fatsos with sideways egg-heads. Car wheels are oval and there's no adjustment on the satellite remote or the TV remote that starts out by stretching the vertical dimension to compensate. This is another indication that they are obsessed with the selling power of the catch-phrase "HIGH DEFINITION" without really understanding much more about it. The Weather Channel and CNN in HD? Please.

There's a golf channel, too? Fine. Where's my Chess Channel? I know most of you will be falling asleep waiting for the GrandMaster to push his doubled D-file pawns forward one square at a time to penetrate enemy territory and establish a prophylactic defense against his opponent's Knight outpost, but that's my game. I wouldn't begrudge anyone their Tennis or Piscean pursuits, or even any gross guilty pleasure (never mind that Reality programming is anything BUT real). I sincerely hope there's soon a TiddlyWinks Network and a Pez Collector Channel for those solitary souls, too. But ANIMANIA was a quantum double-leap above the Cartoon Network. I'm an artist. I can tell.

I wouldn't want DISH to restore VOOM at the expense of any channel a good customer is enjoying. But that's just what they did to me and a plethora of others like me! I deem it a blessing when channels are added (aka "a plus"), regardless of their niche viewing audience. The point is, that's what GALLERY and TREASURE were for me, and ANIMANIA, too. And as a lifelong cinephile, I really miss all those movie channels. They cut my movie viewing opportunities down to 40% what they were, never mind the sorry diminution of overall esthetic quality.

DISH NETWORK: If you're lurking here for a clue, here it is: It's not solely about High Definition (which is compelling, to be sure), but it's also about VOOM's unremitting commitment to Superior Esthetic Content. The former is only a technological medium, the latter is MAGIC.

Give me back GALLERY, TREASURE, ANIMANIA, RUSH, RAVE, EQUATOR, WORLD CINEMA, FILM FEST, and ULTRA. And I really did get some mileage out of KUNG FU and MONSTERS, too. It wasn't broken, but you just had to go and fix it. Do you want my $11 (that's what DISH is offering now as compensation for the transgression) back on the monthly bill? Kiss and make up with VOOM. Repackage it in a separate tier and we've got a deal. Otherwise, it's time to go shopping. Or it might just be time to go dark! I'm one of those rare types who actually knows how to entertain himself. I realize that's not much of a threat, but I wasn't really trying to be threatening. I'm just trying to be satisfied that DISH really is #1 in the satellite television pantheon. Without VOOM, the claim that DISH is #1 is just so much hyperbole.

Quality is what people want not 100 channels of crap! VOOM HD was the best content and clarity. What dish should have done is leverage that unique content and quality by incorporating it into their HD line up not abandon it by charging an extra premium. If dish does not bring back Voom HD I will cancel, tell everyone I know to cancel and hope they go bankrupt as they should for what they did by dropping VOOM HD!!!!!!!!!

Dish didn't really want our input anyway. From Dish's point of view VOOM took their money and didn't honor the contract. So far, one court agrees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts