Do you Have an EHD?

My 1.5TB and 2TB drives take just a bit longer than my 750GB drives to bring up the list. Not so much longer that it's annoying, but I can tell the difference. Once the list is up, response time is the same. I like drives with 64MB of cache better than those with 32MB of cache however...they don't read as often during playback, and they seem to transfer programs/movies faster...

AFAIK, they don't offer any green EHDs.

If someone buys their enclosure and disks separately, as I have done, I suggest they avoid the WD "Green" series. By building your own EHD from components, you get to choose the features and HDD that you want. But I also have turnkey EHDs.

If someone buys their enclosure and disks separately, as I have done, I suggest they avoid the WD "Green" series. By building your own EHD from components, you get to choose the features and HDD that you want. But I also have turnkey EHDs.
Having done both, I disagree with building your own. So, again...

I built one with a WD 2TB Green and it works just fine. What issues do you have with yours?

I've said this before, but I usually avoid anything with the "green" label at all costs as "green" usually means "crap."

That being said, WD Green drives are alright, but they tend to have aggressive HDD sleep policies, and the only reason I would ever want an HDD to sleep, would be on a laptop running on battery. Otherwise I think it's pretty pointless, only saves 8 watts, and can wear HDDs out prematurely from constant head parking and excessive heat/cool cycles thus causing expansion and contraction of the entire drive.

I built one with a WD 2TB Green and it works just fine. What issues do you have with yours?

I never bought a WD green. I think it's just asking for trouble to attach a device that goes into sleep mode, given other posts here over the years about that.

The 2.0 worked fine long before Dish gave it it's blessing. Since the Dish web site still doesn't advocate the 2.0 maybe they can just jump to giving anything up to 3.0 the OK.

I never bought a WD green. I think it's just asking for trouble to attach a device that goes into sleep mode, given other posts here over the years about that.

I've never had an issue with my WD going into sleep mode. On the occasion that I have left it on, (i mostly use it for long term storage, complete season etc) it wakes up just fine...something I can not say for my Seagate's unless I turn the sleep mode off in their proprietary bios.

My WD Green runs cool and quiet and doesnt need a fan...it functions flawlessly.

I don't completely understand what you mean by "I want to cancel-out of the DVR function". However in case it helps, if you are in a DVR function I find that pressing "View" normally takes you directly back to live viewing of whatever channel you were on. If something is recording and you want out of it just change the channel and answer "yes" to "should you stop the recording?". This is 2 clicks though and you will still have part of a recording on the hard drive.
Tks for your reply. What you suggested (Press "View") certainly works when that's what you want to do. Sometimes I'm doing things within the DVR functions, like sorting or renaming, etc. Seems to take extra "Cancels" or "Dones" to back out to the main DVR screen (not to view but to continue other functions). Maybe that's just me in my old age...!

I've never had an issue with my WD going into sleep mode. On the occasion that I have left it on, (i mostly use it for long term storage, complete season etc) it wakes up just fine...something I can not say for my Seagate's unless I turn the sleep mode off in their proprietary bios.

My WD Green runs cool and quiet and doesnt need a fan...it functions flawlessly.

Thank you. That is exactly what I needed to hear.

I love the EHD on my 622. Lots of good stuff on there. Is it true I'd lose all that programming if I upgraded to a 922? Didn't think it was but the Dish rep I talked to about it insisted my current EHD wouldn't work with a new receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)