Do you like getting annual pay raises at work how about promotions?

I agree with almost every post on here... As weird as that sounds. Payroll may be a small price of the pie, and same with the credits given to customers, and other things. How many small peices of that same pie, does it take to become a significant price of the pie, when added together? Let's agree, price increases are coming, well, because of all of the expenses added up, and to still make a profit after that. Employees need payed, equipment needs new software designs, customers need to be rocked to sleep(figuratively), channels have increases with new contracts, channels have costs increases annualy, PR, HR, lawsuits, etc. these are just the few that are at the top of my head. One that most people do not know about, is all coaches and managers from both Echostar and Dish, had to be trained again, for a more precise leadership. They are basically, now, receiving training for leadership positions. Before, it was just whoever was thought to be the best.

Man, it's almost like running a business. ;)

Reactions: ChadT41
If the answer is yes than this is why you see these rate increases.
Because Dish employees like getting annual pay raises and getting promoted.

Dish is one of the lowest providers for video services when compared against the other major providers. Now they have achieved this at a cost to employee morale, pay and benefits. I dont know if many of you are aware of this but Dish has been rated the worst company in the US to work for a few years which has resulted in technicians bringing unions. Dish is trying to stop that now by changing policies and their treatment of employees and Joe Clayton is leading the charge.

So basically if you want Dish to keep rates lower than the competition then let them run their company otherwise, if unions take hold nationwide, these yearly single digit price increases will jump into the double digits.
No disrespect intended here, but if you think those rate increase will result in higher wages for the rank and file and will result in policy changes designed to improve employee morale, you are in LA LA land.
The bean counters will report that the Company is performing better( price of stock) because of the policies in place. No need to mess with success.
One cold fact of economic and fiscal reality, businesses, especially those traded on the public markets operate to increase shareholder value. Period. Every other priority comes last.
If the stock is performing well paying periodic dividends, keeping the Board of directors and other major stock holders happy, the bean counters say "all is right with the world".
Yes, this may appear to be a rather cynical view, but that does not make it any less accurate.

Everything increases in cost year after year all the equipment cabling etc that is being installed is not free. Even though the company buys in massive bulk quantities the companies that manufacturer these parts still will pass on increases in price to us which in turn is passed on.

Its basic business if you do not make a profit you do not stay in business.

Then there is the encroaching union threat no body wants one of these to get embedded in a company because once they do they are impossible to get rid of.
Dish will never cave to the unions. Unions are weak, Only 7% of the private sector workforce is unionized. Unions do not have any of the clout they once had.
In fact, in of all places Brooklyn, NY a known union stronghold, Cablevision has won a battle against the once powerful Communication Workers of America.
The Company has gotten a favorable decision by a judge that allows Cablevision to render a vote by the technicians that could result in decertification.
Now, if a union cannot win a battle in of all places within the boundaries of NY, that shows how weakened the unions have become.
I see no indication that unions will be able to infiltrate Dish.

Reactions: papachops
I am confident in estimating that 90% of the rate increases are directly due to the renewed higher contract rates that content owners are now being paid. Off the top of my head, Turner, CBS and, most of all, Disney all negotiated new, higher rates just this past year.

Dish will never cave to the unions. Unions are weak, Only 7% of the private sector workforce is unionized. Unions do not have any of the clout they once had.
In fact, in of all places Brooklyn, NY a known union stronghold, Cablevision has won a battle against the once powerful Communication Workers of America.
The Company has gotten a favorable decision by a judge that allows Cablevision to render a vote by the technicians that could result in decertification.
Now, if a union cannot win a battle in of all places within the boundaries of NY, that shows how weakened the unions have become.
I see no indication that unions will be able to infiltrate Dish.

I counter that with regions in Texas of all places have unionized.

you do realize that high turnover rates are costly also. this results having an inexperienced work force which results in increased training costs and crappy customer satisfaction because of rookie employees.

who would you want coming to do work at your home a technician with multiple years of experience or a tech just out of training with less than a years worth of experience?
True. However, given the positive financial reports and a healthy stock price, any negative effects of the items you raised above, are insignificant.
Of course logic tells us that successful businesses should keep their best employees well paid and kept happy, but that is for the upper level management to reap those rewards. The worker bees get what is referred to as "salary control".
As long as the work n the trenches gets done to a reasonable level, its a success.

to install a single 722 system its around $600
to install a 3 room hopper system that number jumps to around $1500.
Do you have data to support that?
Labor.....Let's say the tech is getting $15 per hour. Benefits and taxes double that. Let's say the avg job takes 3 hours. Add in fuel costs, say $15 worth of fuel, a whole house cable install using 250 linear feet of cable at 5 cents per foot bulk price which is $`12.50......All that added up and the number is about $120 to a high of $150....So where on Earth does the $600 come from?
You can't count the equipment because Dish gets that back upon termination of the account.
Anyway, the bulk of rate increases is not tied to labor. These are costs passed along from the producer to the provider to the consumer.
Of course the provider adds in their profit.

Do you have data to support that?
Labor.....Let's say the tech is getting $15 per hour. Benefits and taxes double that. Let's say the avg job takes 3 hours. Add in fuel costs, say $15 worth of fuel, a whole house cable install using 250 linear feet of cable at 5 cents per foot bulk price which is $`12.50......All that added up and the number is about $120 to a high of $150....So where on Earth does the $600 come from?
You can't count the equipment because Dish gets that back upon termination of the account.
Anyway, the bulk of rate increases is not tied to labor. These are costs passed along from the producer to the provider to the consumer.
Of course the provider adds in their profit.

you are not seeing the big picture all those free credits customers get and free tech rolls, the behind the scene people ie management hr pr advertising, engineering, factories, logistic costs. also the the customers that sign up and get disconnected for not paying their bills.

all that adds up

you do realize that high turnover rates are costly also. this results having an inexperienced work force which results in increased training costs and crappy customer satisfaction because of rookie employees.

who would you want coming to do work at your home a technician with multiple years of experience or a tech just out of training with less than a years worth of experience?
Dish has been purging its payroll of experienced techs for years. Those that manage to avoid the carnage are seeing pay cuts as a result of demotions or moving target goals which prevent techs and CSR's from receiving pay increases

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Every time we have a price increase . . . or a dispute . . . or channels going dark . . . we have a handful of posters on this board who rally to Charlie's defense - giving "reasons" while we should feel good about all Dish does for us and why we should be understanding about the latest blackout or why we should be happy to hand over more of our hard-earned money . . .

It is as predictable as the sunrise.

Sometimes I wonder if Dish has a handful of employees hiding under these handles to spread Charlie-friendly propaganda.

Let me just say this - all TV providers are essentially evil profiteers. That being said, if you like live sports, you gotta sleep with the devil . . . and I will never go back to Comcast again no matter what. But let's not pretend Dish, Direct, or anyone else are out for anything other than our money.
Understanding the facts does not translate to "Charlie friendly".

Reactions: ChadT41 and dare2be
Dish has been purging its payroll of experienced techs for years. Those that manage to avoid the carnage are seeing pay cuts as a result of demotions or moving target goals which prevent techs and CSR's from receiving pay increases
there is wholesales changes going on at Dish right now and no I am not a Dish cheerleader either I go after them with all kinds of criticism.

they tried and got nailed by the nlrb
The NLRB has no fangs. The dept may have an important sounding name, but the federal government rarely gets involved in these small issues.
Define "nailed"....
There is this case which dealt with a termination over social media and safety policy..http://www.workforcefreedom.com/blog/nlrb-dishes-it-out-dish-network-decision
Then there is this one....Again about use of social media...http://www.workforcefreedom.com/blog/nlrb-dishes-it-out-dish-network-decision.
Not seeing any other links regarding Dish and its relationship with unions.

I counter that with regions in Texas of all places have unionized.
And?....To what end?
Archaic union work rules. Constant carping and moaning from employees who feel "disrespected". All the other crap and baggage that goes along with organized labor.
Tell ya what. As the union people are slowly and systematically weeded out, the unions will cut and run. Happens all the time.
Anyway, its neither here nor there. Unions are on their way out. And this has very little to do with increased subscriber rates.

Every time we have a price increase . . . or a dispute . . . or channels going dark . . . we have a handful of posters on this board who rally to Charlie's defense - giving "reasons" while we should feel good about all Dish does for us and why we should be understanding about the latest blackout or why we should be happy to hand over more of our hard-earned money . . .

It is as predictable as the sunrise.

Sometimes I wonder if Dish has a handful of employees hiding under these handles to spread Charlie-friendly propaganda.

Let me just say this - all TV providers are essentially evil profiteers. That being said, if you like live sports, you gotta sleep with the devil . . . and I will never go back to Comcast again no matter what. But let's not pretend Dish, Direct, or anyone else are out for anything other than our money.
All profit is evil?
I think you need to take your opinions to the Pit.

you are not seeing the big picture all those free credits customers get and free tech rolls, the behind the scene people ie management hr pr advertising, engineering, factories, logistic costs. also the the customers that sign up and get disconnected for not paying their bills.

all that adds up
Yes it adds up. Now ,you may be in the ballpark on the initial cost to install in fact for the sake of discussion I will stipulate to your numbers. Dish gets that back and then some once a customer crosses that 24 month threshold. So the "cost" is really nothing.
I still think your numbers are inflated though. I maintain and the facts bear this out that programming costs are driving sub rates

Reactions: Ronnie- and dare2be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts