Do you receive Distant Network Signals from Dish?

Do you receive DNS stations from Dish?

• I receive all DNS stations from Dish

Votes: 67 26.7%
  • I receive some of the DNS stations from Dish

Votes: 85 33.9%
  • I sub to Dish but receive no DNS stations

Votes: 99 39.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So far the response from this forum is WAY out of whack with the general population.

It appears that Satguy members get DNS stations at a FAR higher proportion than typical Dish subs.

The numbers I've seen from Dish show that less than 7% of their subs get DNS stations. So far the Satguys are running at close to 60%!!!!

No wonder there is so much hubbub on this board about the loss of DNS.

Perhaps many of the DNS subs responded quickly to this poll and we'll see the percentages drop over time - but they are not going to get anywhere near the overall Dish average.

A High Definition receiver is required to view your HD local signal. Determine if you have an HD receiver.
Hi Nel...:)
This is a New one,as a tech /Installer for the largest dealer on the Island is the first time I heard about "HD locals".I have myself a 211 and a 411 and the only HD network feed than I have is CBS HD(from NY):confused: :confused:

Last edited:
technoguy said:
Hi Nel...:)
This is a New one,as a tech /Installer for the largest dealer on the Island is the first time I heard about "HD locals".I have myself a 211 and a 411 and the only HD network feed than I have is CBS HD(from NY):confused: :confused:

Hi Techno:

I found that strange to about the HDTV Locals?. And for the Distant Network Waivers that's strange? I am grandfather customer and I am still getting the feeds from New York and Los Angeles I wonder if have now to ask waivers or not? What you think about this techno?:confused:

neljtorres said:
Hi Techno:

I found that strange to about the HDTV Locals?. And for the Distant Network Waivers that's strange? I am grandfather customer and I am still getting the feeds from New York and Los Angeles I wonder if have now to ask waivers or not? What you think about this techno?:confused:
The other day I was on Embelecos House for setting him up with Echo 3,12(61.5) and I requested CBS HD,and was granted,But for new install who's costumers ask for NY feed,they just put them on hold for that request,so I this point I don t Know what is the catch.:confused:

Last edited:
I am in the NYC locals market area but 88 miles (line of sight) northwest of the city so it is hard to pick them up OTA in standard def. Lots of mountains around here too. Impossible trying to get OTA in HD. Lots of locals available here via Dish locals package including their offerings of local HD.

Why would anyone have any interest in DNS unless they cannot get their own locals? I hope those folks don't get screwed by the court.

I do however get all the Superstations. I hope there will be no loosing them.

I get KCBS Los Angeles on my Dish 500. The resolution is superior to that of the San Francisco CBS affiliate on Dish 1000.:rolleyes: I will be unhappy if Dish cuts KCBS.:mad:

Grandude said:
The only one I get is CBS-HD out of LA. Don't really need it now that SF HD locals are up and running.
CBS-HD is not a DNS. At least as currently defined.

I used to receive NY and LA Distant Nets, and loved it. But once I switched to HD I cancelled them (I sometimes kick myself about this) because none of the channels are available in HD, so I did not see the point to having them.

hobojoe said:
:) i enjoy all four networks from all four dns and locals plus super stations and pbs!!
SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS:

Congratulations, this address is eligible for up to 2 of the following Distant Network Package(s).

Isn't getting all 4 from all 4 DNS against the rules?? What happens if he is caught having all 4?? I actually want a third fox network but it says you can only pick 2 of each one, and i dont see a way to Uncheck one and check another without calling in and having them remove one and add the other. I guess the system allows you to add all 4 from all 4 but what happens if they ever find this and why would they even let the system do it if it was against the rules lol???:confused:

I get East/West distants from Dish and would cancel all my services ($110 a month) if Dish could no longer sell these to me.

I have the dumb question of the day so foregive me -

As the network Stations continue to lose shares of views would not they (each station that is) be better off offering Distant waviers to people at a price, perhaps $100, $125 or something per year for those views who want waviers? Nobody wants to pay more than necessary but under this everybody who is willing to pay gets what they want and the Stations and Dish make money too.

While I am Grandfathered under the current regs (and pending the judge's Dish rulings), others and myself who are willing to pay for access to Distant stations could get them as well as the local station. While possibly only a few who really want Distants would go for the Wavier "fee charge" it would bring in money to the station to offset rating loss and those people might very well watch local news etc on which ratings is were stations make the most profits. It maybe that you would still need to pay Dish the $ 5 per month and have a Dish pointed to the right satellite.

I am retired in CA, but if I want NY sports etc I would find a way to pay for it.
Anybody feel the way I do?

We're up to 168 votes and I continue to be amazed by how this group differs from the general population.

Across the entire Dish subscriber base, 93% do not receive DNS stations.

At this point in the poll, only 41% of the respondents do not receive DNS.

At several times in the past year, I wondered why there was so much activity on the DNS threads, now I know why.

Tom Bombadil said:
So far the response from this forum is WAY out of whack with the general population.

It appears that Satguy members get DNS stations at a FAR higher proportion than typical Dish subs.

The numbers I've seen from Dish show that less than 7% of their subs get DNS stations. So far the Satguys are running at close to 60%!!!!

No wonder there is so much hubbub on this board about the loss of DNS.

Perhaps many of the DNS subs responded quickly to this poll and we'll see the percentages drop over time - but they are not going to get anywhere near the overall Dish average.

That, or mostly DNS subscribers are the only ones who are reading this post...

People do tend to vote on topics that interest them. That bias is always present.

However as the vote total mounts, it lends more credence to this population being quite different than the general population.

I get the SF locals from Dish since my zip is in that DMA, but I couldn't actually receive any of those stations OTA. I received a waiver from a FOX station in a neighboring DMA (that's actually much closer to me,) and chose to receive an alternate Fox station as well.

I logged in here tonight to research HD receivers for an upgrade, but reading about the pending loss of this one distant channel has me rethinking the whole thing. Dish could lose a $100+/month customer who's looking to spend $ on hardware just by being unable to provide the content that one channel provides...

Last edited:
Claude Greiner said:
I get CBS HD, however I think thats due to a blanket waver that CBS has signed with DISH since in in a CBS owned and operated DMA.

I also get CBS-HD but am not in an O&O area (Vermont). Also, per the Dish website, a waiver from my local CBS was denied.

However, I am on the opposite side of a hill to that station and even with a good rooftop antenna, have never been able to get any of the signals from that mountain, so maybe I'm considered in that "white area".

I receive:
- ABC, CBS, FOX from LA, Denver, Chi, Atl, NY
- NBC from LA, Chi, Atl, NY
- Dish locals from San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
- OTA from Sacramento
- All Superstations

Tom Bombadil said:
People do tend to vote on topics that interest them. That bias is always present.

However as the vote total mounts, it lends more credence to this population being quite different than the general population.
This also raises some other questions: How many of the total E* population have no clue what DNSs are? (Either they don't know they're available, or are somehow getting them but don't know how or why, or that these channels are in jeopardy...) How many would care that they're likely losing those channels? Would that result be different in the whole population vs. the SatGuys sample?

I am getting two DNSs in SD only that I "inherited" with a transferred account, FOX-NY and NBC-NY. I probably should not be getting either as I have both networks available LiL. We watch both DNSs daily but only a limited amount; my wife watchs NBC in the AM to get the NY news (not sure why!) and I watch FOX to see the Simpsons and Seinfeld in the early evening after the news but while I'm still on the treadmill. Similar programs are on my local FOX channel but in different time slots. If we lose these 2 DNS channels, I/we won't be too disappointed...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)