Do you remember when Directv first came out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i can remember my uncle purchased it $1200 for 2 rec. and a dual lnbf from ken cranes electronic they had reps from direct and ussb ( for those who remember them) on site with cameras for there comercials not that we got paid for being in it but it was nice to see myself on tv,the only problem what getting home calling the installation number to find out they couldnt come out for almost 3 months we installed it ourselves which is kinda strange i think thats why i work for dish network now!

I grew up in Mississippi, where the first systems were sold in 1994. At that time, they still called it a test market! One local store sold the first 250 systems, and 500 people were in line, starting at 5 AM. I actually met the man who got the first one, and installed it for his friend. D* paid back the area later on, by putting up locals up about a year or two earlier than anticipated.

The waiting list was several months long, making people jump to Primestar in droves. Back then, you even had to buy Primestar. I think it was $799! I once met a guy who also said he did their first install, for who is now a huge D* HSP, Bruister & Associates. P* was huge in the area, and it would stay that way until it merged with D*. You can still see a few old dishes in some places.

BUDs were still big, too. Most of the local satellite dealers had a D* dish alongside their BUDs, and had the RCA laserdisc in-store kiosk. In fact, it was advertised as laserdisc-quality picture! Most of them dumped D* for E* when it came out, due to the bounties they got. Later on, most were killed off by the lower profit margins of both D* and E*.

Last edited:
Wow... I remember USSB. We used to have those crappy stickers that you would put on the back of your RCA remote that had all of the channels on it. The long strip which went on the battery door had the DirecTV listing. The smaller sticker went below that one on the same remote that had the USSB channels.

-Antwan L.

antwanp said:
Wow... I remember USSB. We used to have those crappy stickers that you would put on the back of your RCA remote that had all of the channels on it. The long strip which went on the battery door had the DirecTV listing. The smaller sticker went below that one on the same remote that had the USSB channels.

-Antwan L.

I paid 600 for a single lnb and two recievers in 98. The guy at CC tried to sell me another expensive service plan claiming these things were lightening magnets. Well 8 years later no lighting strikes. :D

SatinKzo said:
Edit: Ok for some reason I can't post direct links

so go here and then type in the URL you want to lookup old webpages on

http://web.archive.org/collections/web.html

Seems some of the cached pages are kinda slow.

I have used this site before, its a great site to see how companies started their websites......Wow 47.00 for total choice plantium, and 139 for sunday ticket. WOW

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts