Do You Remember when...

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
you could walk into Sam's club and buy a Dish Network system, walk out with it and install it yourself? Boy those were the days! Not being able to install a dish system takes away all the fun! :)

Our Sam's Club has a kiosk set up to sell you Dish Network, but it's not a self-install deal. Just another vendor I'm guessing.

It may have taken away all of the fun for us, but I bet it's less of a headache for E*.

When I used to work for Sam's Club we sold self-install DirecTV. About 75% of them came back to the store. The reason? They couldn't figure out how to install it correctly. After a couple of months of this, the policy changed that Sam's would not take returns on DirecTV. Problems had to be solved through DirecTV. At the same time I was personally instructed to remove the DirecTV feed/Sales pitch from the TVs in the electronics area and use videotapes instead.

See ya
Tony

You wouldn't believe how many people think you just have to point the dish toward the sky, and it will work.

My neighbor thought that, I went to help him when I saw him out at the dish hitting it, thinking it's broke. I knew there was a problem when I saw it pointing toward the north and almost straight up.

avediswolf said:
You wouldn't believe how many people think you just have to point the dish toward the sky, and it will work.

My neighbor thought that, I went to help him when I saw him out at the dish hitting it, thinking it's broke. I knew there was a problem when I saw it pointing toward the north and almost straight up.

Absolutely. Finally helped a neighbor when his wife asked mine if maybe I could stop by and see how he's doin'. Yep he accepted some help. When I showed up with a level to plumb the mast, his eyes' got wide and he said "you mean it has to be that exact?". I told him he was trying to point at a satellite at a point 22,000 miles up in the sky, and he was dumb-founded.

Alot of people refuse to read directions, and think pointing a satellite dish is like an OTA antenna. I'm not surprised the companies have gone to a no-retail model. But you can still get receivers and dishes mail order.

hobojoe said:
:) its so easy to do you would think the majority would not have a problem.
So is changing the oil in a car or replacing a kitchen faucet, but I'll bet you know a few people who will pay others to do it....

hall said:
So is changing the oil in a car or replacing a kitchen faucet, but I'll bet you know a few people who will pay others to do it....
NONE of my friends, co-workers AND neighbors change their own oil. I am the only person that changes his own oil that I know. Of course, I also belong to a car club and we all change our own oil. But besides the club, everybody I know is to lazy to do it themselves. :rolleyes:

I changed the oil in every one of my vehicles except for my truck.

I can’t get to the filter. They have it in such an awkward spot my big hands can’t get to it

Throw in the fact that after I pay for oil and a filter, using that coupon for 14.95 at the dealer to have them do the oil change pretty much means I’m paying less than $2 for someone to do it for me

Agreed Berg!

Shoot; changing the oil in most cars manufactured in the last 7-10 years is no easy task and well worth the money to have a pro do it with the correct tools and a "basement bay".

I had a bit of a disagreement once with someone on another forum. He was trashing DISH, saying it was a lot easier aiming a portable campground dish at DTV. Claimed the DTV satellites were "a lot higher up in the sky" and you didn't have to worry about trees as much.

He didn't understand about orbiting over the equator, thought I was nuts. Near as I can tell, he was trying to use coordinates from his home at a campground hundreds of miles away. He finally stopped posting in that thread after a few other folks chimed in, and no one was supporting him.

Hope he's not still embarrassing himself publicly.

- - - - - -

And BTW, my father in law is one of those that couldn't understand why I couldn't get a signal at our campsite- plenty of open sky, quit aiming it at the trees!

- - - - - -

And I don't trust anyone else to change my oil. Around here, it's kids doing it, and I wouldn't call them pros.

I have also heard/read that some factory warranties (not 100% sure) can stipulate that engine/drivetrain service/maintenance must be correctly documented and performed by a dealer or an authorised service facility to remain 100% valid. So $15 - $30 is worth it to me for them to have less room to wiggle out of a warranty if something happens.

And I don't trust anyone else to change my oil. Around here, it's kids doing it, and I wouldn't call them pros
Thats why I stand and watch :)

Its funny when I go they usually iniate the newbie on my truck. The newbie goes down there and is like "where is the.....oh what the hell is this?"

me: "found the filter, huh" :)

The guys at the dealer do a good job. Been taking it there since I bought the truck (and that was 75000 miles ago)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts