Do you think 2009 will be a good year for Dish?

Well, their Turbo packages are getting a lot of air play. But, February, will be the defining month, that is when us current customers can go to all Turbo. As long as they don't get nuts by jerking the price up..............2009 should be good.

I think they are in much better shape now that Ciel II made it up successfully (this assumes that everything goes well during testing). This combined with the new sat at 110 alleviates much of the capacity issues they had this past year. They should be able to add both national and LiL HD which should make them competitive in adding subscribers. The X factor is how the economic downturn is going to impact people's spending on such discretionary things as Satellite TV... Time will tell.

I hope it all goes good and they had more national HD and LiL HD. I'm probably going to get Turbo Silver + Spanish package. Dish right is too expensive for me. I wish I could change it now.

Also, it look like Dish may have 2 launches in 2009. Nimiq-5 to 72.7 and Echostar 14 to 119.

If the make some good HD launches to push the Turbo packs, and if they stay value prices, 2009 should be a good year.

Provided we don't sink into another Great Depression.

It will be a good year for Dish, if they pull their collective heads out of their backsides and turn some things around.

I would start by firing whoever has done PR for them over the past years, and bringing customer service back onshore. And with the current state of the economy, remain competitive by LOWERING prices in February.

Charlie will still be CEO. Not expecting any good changes...

Charlie talks the talk but never walks the walk.

How many times over the last few years have we heard about Chuck complaining about calling his own company and getting someone that cannot speak english but never does anything about it.

It will be a bad year, if not worse, with the way the economy is doing, and I doubt Dish is going to get their act together. The only exception to this might be if their new promotion they plan on rolling out in the next few months will be better enough to draw some potential new customers away from DirecTv.

I think it will be a good year. I also think there will be price increases in February.

As for Charlie- remember, this is a guy who went from selling big ugly dishes out of the back of a pickup to being a billionaire. Somehow, someway, I suspect he knows a little bit more about what he's doing and why, than anyone on this board.

i don't think it will be

Well at least here in southern California where a lot of the installs are partner accounts (AT&T)
as most if you know in 2009 AT&T will be leaving Dish and alot of people speculate they will sign a deal with DirecTV so that gives DTV a big advantage in California as they have Verizon and AT&T so where ever you go and cant get FiOS or U-Verse you will be offered DirecTV from the only 2 Telco companies that operate here..

so pretty much we will be relying on installs of HD and 500Plus (34 2 lines to 625) :)
Unless they have an absolutly Killer deal (not Turbo-HD) not the turbo is not a good deal, but i mean a superDeal of some kind...

MOE

As for Charlie- remember, this is a guy who went from selling big ugly dishes out of the back of a pickup to being a billionaire. Somehow, someway, I suspect he knows a little bit more about what he's doing and why, than anyone on this board.

Sure, but even CEO's are often idiots... and/or crooks. Just go back and look at the various big companies out there that failed (or are failing) because of incompetent leaders.

Many folks are staying home (and eating leftovers). Wal-Mart CEO said on Meet the Press on Sunday that food storage container sales are high. Pay TV, although not seen by some as a necessity, is quite an entertainment value. I think the TV providers will do just fine in 2009, even in an economic downturn. I'm not saying E* won't lose their customers to someone else, but we Americans like our TV, and someone will get the business.

One at a time, one at a time. Not sure it was even his pickup.

I don't see too many idiots making billionaires out of themselves. Or being professional poker players. And he's not accused of any improprieties.

I think it'll be ok. I think it has the best DVR by far which is a giant plus. However, DISH is starting to get more and more competitors so we'll see how it shakes out. DISH was a no brainer switch from cable, but as nationwide providers become more and more we'll see how they compare.

I am constantly switching people because I am very happy for the most part with the service I have received (also for the $50 credit :D). I'm especially happy because I was converted to TurboHD Gold before february.

I think the company that quickly deals with their contract disputes will reign as king due to the fact these are more frequent than I can recall.

my .02

pfan

I think it can be good year if dish speeds up the process of removing international channels from 61 and adding more HD and offering DVR advantage programming for HD channels like they offer right now.

Pay TV, although not seen by some as a necessity, is quite an entertainment value. I think the TV providers will do just fine in 2009, even in an economic downturn. I'm not saying E* won't lose their customers to someone else, but we Americans like our TV, and someone will get the business.

Dish has the welcome pack and the 9.99 locals only paks to try and keep people from disconnect for income reasons, probably thin margins though.

Pay tv industry thinks they can pick up a lot of OTA customers from the digital transition. I know a handful of people using OTA only and all already have converter boxes and think they are great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts