DO YOU THINK I GOT A GOOD DEAL ??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ga.Boy

Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
I got everything that you see in the pictures, you can't see the second dish, but you can see the second base. Had to clean the roof off including the concrete blocks and wood cribbing. This was a take all deal for $75.00 from a chevy dealer that was closing. It took me and a neighbor all day to get everthing off the roof and get it here to the house, but I thank it was worth it.

Attachments

• 100_1130.JPG
    100_1130.JPG
    482 KB · Views: 274
  • 100_1131.JPG
    100_1131.JPG
    862.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 100_1132.JPG
    100_1132.JPG
    547.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_1133.JPG
    100_1133.JPG
    704.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 100_1134.JPG
    100_1134.JPG
    455 KB · Views: 219
woooo nice! world ford in gulf breeze has closed down here in FL and they have one right out in the yard on the side of the building just like that. i have a few friends in the car biz and have been thinking of asking them who i need to call and see if i can have it. nice score, luckily if i score one it wont be on the roof with any blocks!

nice

Depends on how many 8" blocks you had to carry down the ladder!!!!! Kidding, of course it was a good deal, even if the lnbs are no good, the dishes worth more than that!!! Good hunting..

Absolutely great deal, one of those heavy-duty NPRMs (non-penetrating roof mounts) is worth more than $75 used :)

Says the man who is looking for one! :D

OP: You got a great deal. Just the mount alone is worth that. :up
Good going!

Yes, you got a good deal.

Those look like Prodelin dishes. They are built like tanks. On my 1.8m dish, just the fiberglass reflector weighs 75lb. That dish was free, but there was no mount and no fasteners. :(

That must have been a LOT of work... (but worth it...)

Fantastic deal!!

There are those on this forum that would turn all kinds of hat tricks for a deal like that. :)

I can think of one "green" friend on here in particullar. He'll be even greener with envy. :D

Thanks for the "ATTA BOY" fellows. I can't type too long, this 64 yr. old mans back and legs are killing me right now!! Oh, if anyone needs any concrete blocks, I got a plenty. Maybe one day I will stop collecting and start putting up. Having lots of fun saving all the dishes, C and Ku to be had for almost asking.

green with envy

There was one of those 6' Prodelin dishes just down the road at a Subaru dealer.
It's only a mile away.
I inquired a number of times about its fate.
Now, I see the mount on the roof, but dishless.
I hate to imagine what might have come of it.

If ya had one, the only down side, is figuring out how to motorize it.
One of the members posted pictures of the official Prodelin mount with motor.
But, nobody is going to call up and order one.
I'm sure it's hundreds of dollars.

If it were motorized, then I'd be looking to get C-band on it.
Already have CK-1 LNBf on hand.
Think one of the forum members used one, too.

However, as a fixed Ku dish, it might handle multiple LNBs.
Its long focal length, coupled with tiny LNBs, would most likely do 2° pairs like 123° & 125°, just fine.
Just not sure what sort of a swath it could cut.
Plus or minus 10° from center would likely work, but still wouldn't be that useful.
How much more, now that's the question. :)

Slobber, drool, slobber. You got a great deal. IIRC, I had to pay something like $400+ for one of those non-pen mounts. I had one in storage with a dish and other parts. Someone thought it was just a pile of old angle iron from something and gave it to a guy who was scrounging for scrap metal.

The service providers find that it is not cost effective to recover those dishes, refurb them and put them back in service. If you see one on an out of business building, sometimes you can call the real estate agent and get it for little or nothing. Also look for buildings that are being renovated that has one or more on the roof. Find the foreman and offer to take it off his hands. Chances are he'll even have some guys help you load it. They are a bear to get rid of.

I've nabbed a few of them down in South Texas, but I haven't been lucky here in the DFW area yet. But I keep looking.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)