Do you turn off your 522 everyday to update?

dish522noe

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2005
Do you turn off your box everyday to update? Especially with 522? The satellite installer guy told me, I don't have to turn it off but the DISH said, I have to too. Any experience?

I turn mine off whenever I am not watching anything. It turns itself on to record. Why leave it on?

The default is for the unit to update the program guide at 3AM each day. you'll find that somewhere in the menu labyrinth. You can disable this but if you do, you will have to turn it off so that it can do an update.

We have the daily guide update/reboot turned off because it's kind of annoying if you're up late watching TV and the warning message interrupts your program. So I just manually reboot the receiver at lease once a day whenever there's nothing recording and no one watching anything. That actually keeps the receiver running smoother anyway (My wife always jokes about the DVR 522, "For optimum performance, manually reboot the unit every hour on the hour." LOL).

And you'll find that even if you turn off the daily update, never turn the tuners off, and don't manually reboot the receiver, somehow the new guide and new software will still get downloaded on its own...I think it has some kind of internal sleep mode where if you don't use it for a long time (like change the channel or rewind) then it goes into a sleep mode and does it for you. So I would say if you don't want to turn it off, then you don't have to. The installer was probably right. After all, he probably knows much more about the technology than the liars and incompetent people who answer the phones at Dish Network.

I don't turn mine off. After 3 or 4 hours, it goes into Standby mode anyway. I moved the guide update back to 4 a.m. so I can be sure it's always in standby when update time arrives.

I'm not sure if it was just my imagination or if it's real (and does it matter?) but I have noticed when I DO turn the unit off at night, the audio sync problem gets much worse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts