do you want to disable VOD?

If I were losing sleep because of a DVR, I would a) move it to another room or b) switch providers.

Well I've already signed up with comcast in the area, but picture quality is very poor, and it goes out weekly. Infact it went out today. I've not supcribed to the digital service, the motorola recievers (not the dvr) are very slow changing channels. If they improve with the newer Tivo series I will definately look into it more. I am looking at Directv, not sure I like the receivers there either. I just want my 508's back to the way they were when I bought them.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I bought a Wireless Video Sender, its junk because it uses the same frequency as my wireless network. So at this time, it has an effective range of 6ft. which is worthless. I plan on relocating the receiver in the closet, but I have to rewire the house for s-video or something. Don't like the PQ on RF cable.

One of the links I posted earlier are being blocked now, here is a cache from google- it was about computers and the hard drive failures.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cach...out&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a
I used firefox, hope this link works on IE

Last edited:
Thanks to members here not turning this into an "I know more than you ever will battle" with some weak insults included. And I've even been compared to President Bush because of this (Please do not start a I love or hate Bush thing, I will leave my comments as completely nuetral, but the poster meant it as an insult). I can't figure out how that come about.

This is why I like teh people at SatelliteGuys.us and DBStalk.com the best. :)

I found more info on power usage here http://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/receiver/501.shtml

that states thet the 508 uses 60 watts on average and 15 watts in standby. Max was at 230 watts, I will leave that out and use the lowest number and average number.

So imagine 2 night lights (7 watts each) versus a standard 60 watt light bulb. Now leave it on for an entire year.

Its not a whole lot of money but a little. Using the Electric Appliance Calculator at http://www.uppco.com/home/appcalc.asp

It comes out like this,
yearly cost at 24hrs a day is $48.33,
yearly cost at standby is $12.09,
now figuring it at 6 hours on and 18 hours standby for average use at my house it (before the wife broke her foot)is $21.16.

If my math is right using the website above, that VOD I never use is $27.17 extra a year at 0.091888 per kwhour. How many PPV's could have chosen with that?

You will need to know your own cost to figure the exact out, that is if you care. According to some data I found, summer 2001 in CA, it would have been double the above.

I have a 508 hooked up to a single dish pointed at 119 and because of this it doesn't download any VOD movies (that I know of) and when I hit the VOD option it says I need a dish uprade so you might be able to disable VOD by blocking access to 110.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)