Dobly Digital and recording

mboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Many shows I have recorded (and watched) in DD are not being recorded in DD.
My audio receiver is showing them only as analog when playing off the DVR.
Even some shows on ShO-E and HBO which are in DD ae only showing as analog, yet some are coming is as DD 5.1.
ANyone else havingthis problem?
Oh yeah, still have the audio synch issue on playback or time shift with the 2.06 FW.

Well are you sure you mean "analog" and not "PCM 48kHz" ? I don't think your receiver can tell when it's picking up an analog signal, but maybe there is a way, in which case it's telling you you have the wrong signal source selected. Analog is only carried over the stereo RCA red/white jacks, not the optical digital audio jack.

But if you mean the receiver is indicating PCM 48kHz, and you are at your TV1 equipment (TV+audio receiver), then it tells me you're likely in Single Mode. If that's true, you need to press Swap to get to the other tuner and start the playback. I don't know why it matters when viewing a DVR event, but it does (at least back a version or two ago when I last noticed this).

And that one output is optic. I don't know how far technology has progressed to be able to carry sound over light... ;)
... and no, digital audio isn't sound over light, it's data over light :)

TuxCoder said:
And that one output is optic. I don't know how far technology has progressed to be able to carry sound over light... ;)
... and no, digital audio isn't sound over light, it's data over light :)

yup simple flashes of light indicating 1s and 0s which leads to the question... does the red light go on for 1 or go off for 1. Just a little trivia. Standards would suggest on for 1 though.

I believe the lightwave is just a carrier onto which the signal is digitally modulated, and thus is always "lit up". Although, most standards require the laser intensity to be cut to safer levels for human eyes (or shut off) when the cable is disconnected.

TuxCoder said:
I believe the lightwave is just a carrier onto which the signal is digitally modulated, and thus is always "lit up". Although, most standards require the laser intensity to be cut to safer levels for human eyes (or shut off) when the cable is disconnected.

Ah you learn something new every day... but how would the sending device know it has been disconnected? there is no 2 way communication. only 1-way

You're right, it's best done with a bidirectional link. But, there are little presence switches they could put in the jack (like in many 1/4" or 1/8" headphone jacks) that open when the connector is removed. This of course doesn't work for cable breaks though. Where I work we design and implement all kinds of fibreoptic communications hardware that usually is hooked up bidirectionally and thus uses the signal detect (carrier detect) to determine when to cut the laser intensity. This works great for cable breaks, too, which is the original intent of that safety standard.

Sorry to keep rambling OT... but it's semi relevant... the 'topic' is 'optic' :D

TuxCoder said:
You're right, it's best done with a bidirectional link. But, there are little presence switches they could put in the jack (like in many 1/4" or 1/8" headphone jacks) that open when the connector is removed. This of course doesn't work for cable breaks though. Where I work we design and implement all kinds of fibreoptic communications hardware that usually is hooked up bidirectionally and thus uses the signal detect (carrier detect) to determine when to cut the laser intensity. This works great for cable breaks, too, which is the original intent of that safety standard.

Sorry to keep rambling OT... but it's semi relevant... the 'topic' is 'optic' :D
you sir are a wealth of information... i may pick your brain at another time.

Nope, I am in dual mode and I meant not analog, but not Dolby Digital 5.1. My receiver indicates when it is decoding 5.1.
When viewing a 5.1 encoded movie rom HO, it is fine, when playing that movie or show back from DVR event, it does not.

ShadowEKU said:
yup simple flashes of light indicating 1s and 0s which leads to the question... does the red light go on for 1 or go off for 1. Just a little trivia. Standards would suggest on for 1 though.
Or neither - it could be that a 'state change' indicates a 1 (or zero). Or it could be PSK, or any number of other things.

But back to the OP...
mboy said:
Nope, I am in dual mode and I meant not analog, but not Dolby Digital 5.1. My receiver indicates when it is decoding 5.1.
When viewing a 5.1 encoded movie rom HO, it is fine, when playing that movie or show back from DVR event, it does not.
That's QUITE strange considering that even live viewing/listening is actually coming off exactly the same bits of HDD as when you play it back later. I assume you've rebooted the box by now and you still have the problem?

SimpleSimon said:
Or neither - it could be that a 'state change' indicates a 1 (or zero). Or it could be PSK, or any number of other things.

But back to the OP...That's QUITE strange considering that even live viewing/listening is actually coming off exactly the same bits of HDD as when you play it back later. I assume you've rebooted the box by now and you still have the problem?

Yep, very odd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts