DOCSIS 2.0 Error Correction?

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
I live near the end of my subdivision and, over the years, experienced various problems with our cable broadband service. About every six months to a year the signal levels on our return path were very low and cable techs were dispatched to adjust levels, on the pole, on our entire block.

A few weeks ago I noticed our service was periodically dropping several times per day...maybe for a few seconds...maybe for a few minutes, but the service would typically be up and running by the time I contacted tech support. They would not dispatch a cable tech since the signal levels were looked fine on their end.

Anyway, we went through this for more than six weeks prior to a tech telling us to upgrade to a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. Our older Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 modems (I have a spare) were still working well, but I decided to upgrade for sheets & grins. Our downloads speeds are the same, but our upload speeds have doubled (from 200k to 400k). I'm not surprised since the headend was rebuilt last fall...and I new DOCSIS 2.0 modem would lead to faster uploads. However, the service has been reliable since installing the new DOCSIS 2.0 modem and I'm not sure why since the cable provider is still support DOCSIS 1.0/1.1. Perhaps DOCSIS 2.0 has been error correction...but can anyone tell me why the service will only work reliably with a 2.0 cable modem when the 1.0/1.1 are still supported?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)