Documentary Channel Reels To The Max

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It's on Channel 197 at the 110 degree orbital position. It's actually a free Public Interest channel, and therefore should be available to just about anyone pointed at 110 with any kind of E* subscription. (Family Pack customers may have to call and ask for the "Free Public Interest" package.)

The website is at The Documentary Channel - don't confuse it with the Canadian service called "documentary" at CBC - documentary . However, it's interesting to note that a great deal of the USA channel's content actually is Canadian, sourced from the National Film Board of Canada. In fact, I would guess it's one of the few USA based channels that shows such a large percentage of Canadian content.

It's one of the better PI channels, in my opinion, because it doesn't interrupt programs for commercials - they are only shown at the start or end of programs, and it has an extremely limited amount of infomercials/paid programming. It used to be zero paid programming, but there is a small amount on weekend mornings now. Not only that, it does have quite a bit of programming you can't find anywhere else. Hopefully the IMAX acquisition will draw a bit more attention to this underappreciated channel.

Since it is nominally available as a digital subchannel, I am surprised that very few PBS stations have added it. Although, they might not like the fact that it has commercials at all, to my understanding PBS stations are only required to make one of their digital streams (the primary one) commercial-free.

I'm very glad the IMAX films are being meticulously converted to High Def, and I'd love to see them from my recliner, but when is the Documentary Channel going HD?

As a Public Interest channel, I wouldn't hold my breath. Then again, if they do make an HD version, they could argue that if E* will not carry *any* PI in HD, that it is a violation of the "equal treatment" rule applying to PI services.

I would expect to see RFD HD added before DOC HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)