Documentary Channel

Pepper said:
Two notes:
1. The EPG appears to be from a different time zone.
2. If it is really a "public interest" channel why is it not in the 9400 range like the others?

CSPAN, EWTN, TBN, NASA are also PI channels and they are not in the 9400 range. PI channels do not have to be in the 9400 range.

See ya
Tony

Scomikey said:
dws44,
happen to remember what the name of the doc on the cubs was?
and see it on the epg being re-shown anytime?
know someone who would love to see it

Nope, I'm afraid I don't.

I checked the guide, and the name was screwy and didnt seem to match it at all, but then again, someone else noticed the guide was not right for the channel at the moment.

Nice! I remember when they were shopping for carriage 4 or 5 years ago...I figured they gave up in the US. (It's available in Canada.)

I don't think it qualifies as a PI channel- in Canada, it's sold in the movie channel package with IFC, Movieola, Drive In Classics, Scream, ect.

Looks like they have a lot of variety too...10-15 different programs each day.

There's a lot of good music programming too...tonight there's a David Bowie doc followed by a Clash doc. Tomorrow night is "The Pixies:Gouge" which is a short but interesting BBC doc with a lot of concert footage from the "Come On Pilgram" era.

And Saturday night, they have "Waco:Rules Of Engagement"

(Well, we'll see...the guide is not matching the programming right now.)

Cool...a new channel to add to my short favorites list.

TNGTony said:
CSPAN, EWTN, TBN, NASA are also PI channels and they are not in the 9400 range. PI channels do not have to be in the 9400 range.
See ya
Tony

Yes, but they were all in place before the PI rules came into effect. Every PI channel since then has been hidden up top. That includes Colours, which is basically an entertainment channel.

On the other hand, some quick research shows that 1)This is not the same as the Canadian version. And 2)It appears to have some tie to Nashville Public Television, and is carried on the sub-channel of NPT.

I did find a press release from 1998 that says it was launching as "digital cable channel" in the second quarter of '99. It has some of the same names attached as the current channel (notably Tom Neff, listed as the current CEO.) Then, I found this story...
http://epaper.ardemgaz.com/Reposito...t/html&Path=ChatTFPress/2005/06/01&ID=Ar03701

Short version...the channel never did launch, but the same players put it back together after the explosion in popular docs over the last few years.

If it is technically a PI channel, it's an extremely well organized and well funded one. It's possible that Charlie just lucked out...PBS-U goes off the air just as he's getting in a fight with Lifetime and along comes a PI channel that's good enough to place among the "regular" channels. Kill two birds with one stone...tell people you've added a new channel to replace Lifetime, while covering your legal PI obligations.

In any case...it's a good trade off for EITHER channel IMO. I never watched Lifetime, and rarely watched PBS-U.

I found it interesting that there website had several places where it said call DirecTV to get this channel and gave the number, but it never mentioned that it was being carred by Dish.

More info...
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA42361.html?display=Programming

This says they partner with Turner. It also says they are going to operate an online store, selling DVDs of the movies.

But I can't find an actual definition of "Public interest channel." Does it have to be non-profit? I do know that Daystar was pulled from PI status at least partially because it operates come kind of commercial operation. (Mostly, it had to do with a compensation argument.)

BTW I was wrong about one thing...the CCTV channels are PI, and NOT carried in the 9400 range.

Scomikey said:
dws44,
happen to remember what the name of the doc on the cubs was?

and see it on the epg being re-shown anytime?

know someone who would love to see it

"King Of The Hill" (baseball show about cubs) ONCE (in the next listed 9 days) 1am Sun 29th

Last edited:
I stopped in when I came across it & didn't care for the program that was on. I'd be surprised if it ever showed anything that interested my household. I guess it will be something else for E* to boast about adding w/o being anything of real, widespread interest.

tmtv said:
I guess it will be something else for E* to boast about adding w/o being anything of real, widespread interest.

Translation: I didn't like it so I can't see anyone else liking it."

Is that about right? :)

I've wathed several very interesting docs on it already. One on the Bachata craze (dance music for Latinos) and another about Bob Marley were quite good.

See ya
Tony

tmtv said:
I stopped in when I came across it & didn't care for the program that was on. I'd be surprised if it ever showed anything that interested my household. I guess it will be something else for E* to boast about adding w/o being anything of real, widespread interest.

The selfishness and short-sightedness of most Americans never fails to astound me.

The whole freaking point of offering so many channels is to offer material that DOESN'T have "widespread interest". If DISH offered 150 channels of "widespread interest", I wouldn't subscribe. What would be the point? I can get "widespread interest" for free.

Look, not everybody loves Raymond. I don't watch the Outdoor Channel, but a few people do. I don't watch ESPN, but many people do. I don't watch CBS, but they're the number 1 network. They all have their place. Even though I'd rather not have to pay for ESPN, it doesn't mean I don't know why it's on the air. Don't be so ignorant.

"I stopped in when I came across it & didn't care for the program that was on. I'd be surprised if it ever showed anything that interested my household. I guess it will be something else for E* to boast about adding w/o being anything of real, widespread interest."

Hmmm - You stopped in one time, and from one time you conclude that it is only a channel for Dish to boast about without being anything of real widespread interest. You should be a network programmer, like the ones who wanted to cancel "Cheers" and "MASH" after the first season. (My comparison is based especially on the Cheers story of a programmer after seeing one episode went on a campaign to have it cancelled)
This is EXACTLY the kind of channel to add in my opinion. Even my teenager will watch a well done documentary on a subject of interest. This could probably be added to their family pack also.

Tampa8 said:
This could probably be added to their family pack also.

Agreed , This may prevent it though :(

"There is not a single genre, format, or era of documentary filmmaking in which we would not be interested. We seek to educate while we entertain. We will show short docs, political docs, bios, sports, student docs, amateur docs, international and foreign docs, nature docs, etc. We are not afraid of a little controversy. In fact, we prefer the edgier and more personal films."

From http://www.documentarychannel.com/submissions.php

retiredTech said:
"King Of The Hill" on again 11am & 6pm Sat 28th
(note guide says 10am & 5pm but it's still wrong as E* is listing ET when actually Doc channel is CT)

It is not the "King of the Hill" cartoon.

I have also noticed that there's some Canadian content. Is this a Canadian channel?

M Sparks said:
The selfishness and short-sightedness of most Americans never fails to astound me.

The whole freaking point of offering so many channels is to offer material that DOESN'T have "widespread interest". If DISH offered 150 channels of "widespread interest", I wouldn't subscribe. What would be the point? I can get "widespread interest" for free.

Look, not everybody loves Raymond. I don't watch the Outdoor Channel, but a few people do. I don't watch ESPN, but many people do. I don't watch CBS, but they're the number 1 network. They all have their place. Even though I'd rather not have to pay for ESPN, it doesn't mean I don't know why it's on the air. Don't be so ignorant.

Well put, thank you!

I am still going to complain about the narrow vision of most of the Voom channels though! If they had 180 of them I would back off but when you only have 15 I think you should be a bit less narrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)