Please reply by conversation.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Being reported that DoD has been released outside of the C.E. program for the HR-20 700 this morning.

1. What is DoD?
    DIRECTV™ on Demand. This is a service that DIRECTV provides by delivering television programs to your HR20 via the Internet.​
  2. I had cable Video On Demand. Is it the same? How does it differ?
    They are similar in concept: access to content/programming that is not currently "broadcasting" on any given channel. On both systems you access the listing of available content on the screen and select what you would like to watch.​
    There are differences within the cable implementations based on carriers and even regions for those carriers, so these descriptions may not apply to every cable-co implementation of VOD. In most cable implementations, it is more closely related to streaming audio/video. You watch the content as it streams in from the cable company's server.​
    On DIRECTV's version, the system downloads the program to the hard drive of the DVR. Within a few minutes you can start to watch the program, but you are accessing the portions that have already downloaded; you cannot access segments that haven't downloaded. (Just as you can't access segments that haven't AIRED on a broadcast show.)​
  3. Are there any costs for DoD?
    Currently most items are available free of charge. However, some items may require a small fee to view.​
  4. Do I need to do something to get DoD?
    Your HR20 must be connected to the Internet. This requires you to have a high speed Internet connection.​
  5. What hardware is required?
    Currently only the HR20-700 receiver can be used to receive on demand programming from DIRECTV.​
  6. How do I network my DVR?
    DIRECTV on Demand utilizes the same network connection as Media Share. Simply follow the instructions in the Media Share Quick Start Guide from DIRECTV to get your receiver connected to your home network.​
  7. Will my ISP allow this?
    Each ISP has its own user agreement, which is where you should look for the answer to this question. Currently there are no known ISPs that are blocking access to DIRECTV's DoD servers. Some ISPs are implementing monthly usage maximum totals (otherwise known as caps). Some ISPs have publicly stated those limits; others have not. Check with your ISP to see if you have a limit on your broadband usage level.​
  8. Is a phone line required?
    In the terms of agreement for DIRECTV, a phone line is ALWAYS required. However, from an implementation point of view, the phone line will be necessary only with DoD if you are intrested in content that has a fee associated with it.​
  9. How do I get to DoD?
    Either press MENU, then On Demand, or simply enter channel 1000. Your picture will shrink to the PIG (Picture in Guide) format, and the DoD selection screen will appear on your main screen.​
  10. Is it really "on demand"?
    That depends on your definition of "on demand."​
    It is "on demand" in that:
    • You don't have to wait for a broadcaster to air the program.
    • You don't have to do anything other than select the program from a list.
    • The content is available 365/24/7.
    It is not "on demand" in that:
    • You cannot access the entire program at that EXACT moment. You do have to wait for the entire program to download before you can get to the end of the program.
    • You cannot access the start of the program the moment you push record/download on the program. You normally have to wait 30 to 60 seconds before you can access the program.
  11. Do I have to wait for it to finish downloading before I can watch it?
    No. Most programs will allow you to start watching within the first minute of download. However, some programming will be better served by waiting a few minutes before starting. High Definition programming does take a longer time to download, and as a result you may have to wait longer or risk hitting the end of the buffer before the program has finished downloading.​
  12. How do I cancel a download?
    Easy. Simply press LIST, highlight the program, press SELECT, then choose DELETE from the menu on the left. You can do this while the program is downloading or after it is complete. Also, when in the DoD MENU, push the YELLOW button (View Queue) and you will be able to delete, pause, and perform other functions of the DoD program.​
  13. How long do downloads stay on my DVR?
    Most programs have an expiration date that is noted before you download a program. After a program is downloaded, the expiration date appears in My Playlist for easy review.​
  14. Will there be or is there any HD programming available on DoD?
    Currently there is a limited ammount of HD programming available on DoD.​
  15. I am using a custom FAVORITE list... why can't I see the DoD channels?
    You will need to adjust your favorite lists to include the individual DoD channels. Or you can change to using ALL CHANNELS instead of your favorite list.​
maybe this will help

Im active on the ethernet port, it shows that I have a internet connection, I have done the iwantmyvod thing and every other trick in the book and still no vod for me. You got me too..
yeah thats odd, im guessing you reported that on the C.E. thread? and no help there?

As a courtsy I think you should at least give credit to the original source of your post, DIRECTV On Demand: FAQ - DBSTalk.Com

1. What is DoD?
    DIRECTV™ on Demand. This is a service that DIRECTV provides by delivering television programs to your HR20 via the Internet.​
  2. I had cable Video On Demand. Is it the same? How does it differ?
    They are similar in concept: access to content/programming that is not currently "broadcasting" on any given channel. On both systems you access the listing of available content on the screen and select what you would like to watch.​
    There are differences within the cable implementations based on carriers and even regions for those carriers, so these descriptions may not apply to every cable-co implementation of VOD. In most cable implementations, it is more closely related to streaming audio/video. You watch the content as it streams in from the cable company's server.​
    On DIRECTV's version, the system downloads the program to the hard drive of the DVR. Within a few minutes you can start to watch the program, but you are accessing the portions that have already downloaded; you cannot access segments that haven't downloaded. (Just as you can't access segments that haven't AIRED on a broadcast show.)​
  3. Are there any costs for DoD?
    Currently most items are available free of charge. However, some items may require a small fee to view.​
  4. Do I need to do something to get DoD?
    Your HR20 must be connected to the Internet. This requires you to have a high speed Internet connection.​
  5. What hardware is required?
    Currently only the HR20-700 receiver can be used to receive on demand programming from DIRECTV.​
  6. How do I network my DVR?
    DIRECTV on Demand utilizes the same network connection as Media Share. Simply follow the instructions in the Media Share Quick Start Guide from DIRECTV to get your receiver connected to your home network.​
  7. Will my ISP allow this?
    Each ISP has its own user agreement, which is where you should look for the answer to this question. Currently there are no known ISPs that are blocking access to DIRECTV's DoD servers. Some ISPs are implementing monthly usage maximum totals (otherwise known as caps). Some ISPs have publicly stated those limits; others have not. Check with your ISP to see if you have a limit on your broadband usage level.​
  8. Is a phone line required?
    In the terms of agreement for DIRECTV, a phone line is ALWAYS required. However, from an implementation point of view, the phone line will be necessary only with DoD if you are intrested in content that has a fee associated with it.​
  9. How do I get to DoD?
    Either press MENU, then On Demand, or simply enter channel 1000. Your picture will shrink to the PIG (Picture in Guide) format, and the DoD selection screen will appear on your main screen.​
  10. Is it really "on demand"?
    That depends on your definition of "on demand."​
    It is "on demand" in that:
    • You don't have to wait for a broadcaster to air the program.
    • You don't have to do anything other than select the program from a list.
    • The content is available 365/24/7.
    It is not "on demand" in that:
    • You cannot access the entire program at that EXACT moment. You do have to wait for the entire program to download before you can get to the end of the program.
    • You cannot access the start of the program the moment you push record/download on the program. You normally have to wait 30 to 60 seconds before you can access the program.
  11. Do I have to wait for it to finish downloading before I can watch it?
    No. Most programs will allow you to start watching within the first minute of download. However, some programming will be better served by waiting a few minutes before starting. High Definition programming does take a longer time to download, and as a result you may have to wait longer or risk hitting the end of the buffer before the program has finished downloading.​
  12. How do I cancel a download?
    Easy. Simply press LIST, highlight the program, press SELECT, then choose DELETE from the menu on the left. You can do this while the program is downloading or after it is complete. Also, when in the DoD MENU, push the YELLOW button (View Queue) and you will be able to delete, pause, and perform other functions of the DoD program.​
  13. How long do downloads stay on my DVR?
    Most programs have an expiration date that is noted before you download a program. After a program is downloaded, the expiration date appears in My Playlist for easy review.​
  14. Will there be or is there any HD programming available on DoD?
    Currently there is a limited ammount of HD programming available on DoD.​
  15. I am using a custom FAVORITE list... why can't I see the DoD channels?
    You will need to adjust your favorite lists to include the individual DoD channels. Or you can change to using ALL CHANNELS instead of your favorite list.​
maybe this will help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)