Does 4700 Need Adapter for Dolby Digital Output?

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
Arvada, CO
I've searched the Forums extensively and have discovered conflicting information regarding my question. The standard FAQ says the 4000 series required the adapter until the 4900, but elsewhere a DD technical discussion lists the 4700 with 4900 as DD-ready (i.e., no adapter).

If the 4700 does require and adapter, where can one find one?

The model 4000 receiver and model 4700/4900 receivers are different series receivers. The 4000 is an older model that was replaced by the 4700/4900. The 4700/4900 has a built in digital audio output jack and does not require additional hardware to output Dolby Digital audio.

However, if it outputs in 96kHZ only you will have to have a headunit/receiver that accepts all sample rates; mainly the 96kHz. Not all home receiver do.

The Model 4000 requires the Dolby Digital Output Adapter, Part #6104. It goes into the high-speed data port on the back of the receiver. It can be connected to your DD processor or receiver with either a coaxial or optical digital cable.

I still have a new one available for $69. You can message or email me if you are interested.

JohnDoe#2 said:
The Model 4000 requires the Dolby Digital Output Adapter, Part #6104. It goes into the high-speed data port on the back of the receiver. It can be connected to your DD processor or receiver with either a coaxial or optical digital cable.

I still have a new one available for $69. You can message or email me if you are interested.

He's got the 4700, which if it is software updated is a 4900. He doesn't need the adapter. He simply places an optical cord between his STB and receiver.

JohnDoe#2 said:
Ooops...you're right.

So what's his problem? :confused:

He doesn't have a problem. He simply asked that if the 4700 needed an adapter where could he get one. He doesn't need one so I guess he doesn't have a problem. We've already answered his question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts