Does 722 S-Video output HD signal to tv?

airtv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Memphis, TN
I did a search "722 s-video" and couldn't find a straight answer to this, so please don't flame me as a lazy inquisitor.

I've read many threads recommending the use of TV1 HDMI and Component outputs to distribute HD content to different HDTVs in a houshold, but no recommendations to utilize the S-Video output as a third option. Is this bacause it's just a lower grade HD signal, or not HD at all. If it's just a lower grade HD signal then it would probably still be good enough for feeding the little 15" LCD in the office / spare bed room. It would be so much easier to pull 1 S-Video & a pair of RCA than 5 RCA Composite cables. Besides I want to reserve HDMI and Component outputs for the living and master bed rooms. And then use the modulated TV2 coax to distribute alternative SD programming options throughout the house.

And...if you need a 2nd opinion - S-Video is not HD.

HDMI and Component are the ONLY way to get HD from 622/722 to an HDTV. S-video will provide a picture, just not HD.

HDMI and Component are the ONLY way to get HD from 622/722 to an HDTV. S-video will provide a picture, just not HD.

If you need a 3rd opinion....HDMI and component (3 jacks-R,G,B) are the ONLY ways to get HD...PERIOD (it's not a just DISH/receiver thing). S-video, and composite (yellow jack) is old technology and only transmits analog video signals, whereas HD signals are digital signals.

NOOOOOO! But I want it to be HD.;)
I should've known, it was too good to be true.

If you need a 3rd opinion....HDMI and component (3 jacks-R,G,B) are the ONLY ways to get HD...PERIOD (it's not a just DISH/receiver thing). S-video, and composite (yellow jack) is old technology and only transmits analog video signals, whereas HD signals are digital signals.

I almost added to my last post, a demand for a third opinion as a goof. And there it is before I could even finish my reply.

I DEMAND A FOURTH OPINION! :D:D:D

Actually, upon reflection I might be a little off about the analog vs. digital thing (i.e. not sure if RGB component can carry analog or not). That's really not the issue.

It has to do more with the lines of resolution capacity with each type of jack. HD is 720 lines of resolution or better. S-video and composite only has the capacity to go up to 420 or something like that.

OK, fine. I will comply to reality.;)
No HD via S-Video.

So, If I want to distribute HD to three tvs in the house, I have to come up with a way split the HDMI or Component signal with out degradation. I read there are more problems with splitting HDMI... a little better success splitting Component.

Anyone know of a thread or other recource that covers the successful splitting of 722's HDMI or Component signal?

BTW, I want to stick with the one receiver. In case the suggestion of getting another receiver is brewing.

Alternate, picky-picky-picky Fourth opinion:

HD is only available via HDMI, DVI, component - and firewire. But I don't think we'll be seeing any firewire on any future satellite receivers.

I don't think firewire can carry video signals (like PAL, NTSC). It only transmits data packets for streaming, like Ethernet and USB.

Alternate, picky-picky-picky Fourth opinion:

HD is only available via HDMI, DVI, component - and firewire. But I don't think we'll be seeing any firewire on any future satellite receivers.

From rumors we are hearing component probably will be taken off the hd list sometime this year.

I don't think firewire can carry video signals (like PAL, NTSC). It only transmits data packets for streaming, like Ethernet and USB.

Yes, it does. AKA IEEE-1394 and DishWire. D-VHS and some cameras. And the 921 shipped with one, but it was never activated.

From rumors we are hearing component probably will be taken off the hd list sometime this year.

Actually, the constraint token will downrez certain copy protected HD. But non copy protected HD and instances where the constraint token is not set, will still work at full rez. We'll see just how much of that there will be.

I would check the 15inch LCD you are trying to feed HD too. I doubt it has component input. SVideo will get you the HD content which is fine if you are feeding multiple SD tvs.

Ah, i just saw it was a 15 inch tv. S-video will look fine on that size screen. It wont actually be HD, but you probably wont be able to tell a HUGE difference

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)