Does anybody know how to...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Does anyone know how to encode .ts files in to h264. I want to make the file sizes increadably smaller while keeping all the detail. I have the gordon rip pack from doom9.net. If anyone knows how please show me the lite :)

You have a lot of spare time on your hands? Encoding to H264 is a very very slow process. I encode all my HD to XviD, downsized to 1280x720. A typical 30 minute show usually takes me a little over an hour or so. Doing the same with x.264, I seem to recall it was going to take 5-10 times as long.

Right now the only way I know of, on a PC is with either x.264 (part of the GK/AGK stuff) or with Apple's Quicktime Pro (which I havent been able to make work).

Kirby Baker said:
You have a lot of spare time on your hands? Encoding to H264 is a very very slow process. I encode all my HD to XviD, downsized to 1280x720. A typical 30 minute show usually takes me a little over an hour or so. Doing the same with x.264, I seem to recall it was going to take 5-10 times as long.

Right now the only way I know of, on a PC is with either x.264 (part of the GK/AGK stuff) or with Apple's Quicktime Pro (which I havent been able to make work).
What software are you using for the conversions? Ive been trying to convert some of my DVDs so I can copy them to my laptop. But, I get VERY grainy/pixelated video.

StevenD said:
What software are you using for the conversions? Ive been trying to convert some of my DVDs so I can copy them to my laptop. But, I get VERY grainy/pixelated video.

I have a process that I got from someone over at AVS. I dont use it on DVD's its overkill for that. But if you just want to convert DVD's to Xvid, you need to get Gordian Knot rippack I believe. You wont need AutoGK. Plain GK will allow you to rip the DVD, specify the audio tracks you want, and the quality level of the output. When I converted some of my DVD's, I believe I used 70% quality setting and it was pretty good.

When converting TS files to xvid, I run everything at 7000kbit bitrate, which is quite high, and usually yields a 2:1 savings on film, and 3:1 savings on video.

Best thing to do is look at doom9.org and their very helpful Guides and Forums.

I use to use GK, but switched a few months ago to AVI.Net[/url] (CladDVD.Net, the ripping program, is also available there). It doesn't have quite as many bells and whisles as GK, but for everything I do AVI.Net was quicker and easier to use as good of quality videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts