Does anybody know what's up with Google GPS, Latitude, Maps, etc..?

Stacy A

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 15, 2003
northeast Texas
Lately we (me, my wife, and her dad) have had trouble with Google Latitude, Maps, Google weather, etc. My wife can't use her runkeeper app because location can't work, latitude doesn't check in properly for us, weather can't locate based on the coordinates the phone is reporting. I can't find any information about what kind of problems Google is having. I also couldn't use my Google navigation the other day because it couldn't establish a location. Does anyone have a website where I can find out what kind of problems they are having and why and when they might get it fixed? That new Verizon iPhone is starting to look better all the time. Up until now I had been very happy with my Droid, but if Google can't fix this crap I don't know if I will stick with a new Android phone. All these things used to work near flawlessly, but they've done something to screw it up.

Thanks for the input. I'm using an original Motorola Droid on Verizon. Yes, the GPS feature is on. As noted in the first post, these features worked very well up until about 3 months ago. My phone is not the only one having the issues. My wife's phone and my father-in-law's phone also have the problems. Also, there are at least three other people that I've talked to that have the same issues as well. The navigation on their phone is a hit or miss deal, sometimes it can locate itself and carry out navigation and sometimes it won't. I'm beginning to guess that maybe it's a combination of old Droid, Verizon, and location.

As I understand it, the GPS in most phones (maybe just VZW-unique ones ?) is in fact an "A-GPS" system. That is, "Assisted GPS" in that it also needs/uses cell-tower triangulation to "help" locate. I presume your wife and you use your phones in the same general area, but does your father-in-law. If all three are in same area, it could be a local tower problem. I ran into a similar issue and wasted time trying to get VZW to look into it. They tried to say they had to do a four-way call with tech support, HTC, VZW's "location" group, and myself. Of course, it could never be coordinated.... Eventually it sorted itself out.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2011/May/Light_Square_-BVU_Flight_Advisory.pdf

LightSquare (mobile broadband service) testing is scheduled as follows and may result in unreliable or unavailable GPS signal.
A. Location: Centered at 355810N/1145205W or the BLD VOR 188.9 degree radial at 1.6NM.
B. Dates and times: 16 MAY – 27 MAY 0700Z – 1300Z.
C. Duration: Tests will be conducted in 6 hour blocks.
D. During testing, the GPS signal may be unreliable or unavailable within a 115NMR centered at 355810N/1145205W or the BLD VOR 188.9 degree radial at 1.6NM from the surface to FL300.
E. Pilots are strongly encouraged to report anomalies during testing to the appropriate ARTCC to assist in the determination of the extent of GPS degradation during tests.

I wonder if GPS's will go crazy in Nevada...