Does Anybody Rember the Last Tech Chat?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AIsmail

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Stewartsville, NJ
Question for you all. Does anybody remember the last Tech Chat? I think that it was back in October or November. Anyway, I recall them saying that there would be no need to jump to MPEG4 right away cause they had incorporated a technology that would allow them to provide quasi-MPEG4 compression. After I heard that I thought, "I guess Dish won't be making the jump to MPEG4 right now." I guess I thought wrong. Unless by "right away" they meant that day but less then 4 months later, things have certainly changed. Anyone recall any of this.

Well, they were right. Dish is not making the jump to transmitting in MPEG4. They will continue to use 8PSK-Turbo over MPEG2. Only the channel headers will be in MPEG4, which will require you to have a MPEG4 receiver to decode them.

At this point in time we do not know when Dish will actually begin encoding program material in MPEG4.

Tom Bombadil said:
Well, they were right. Dish is not making the jump to transmitting in MPEG4. They will continue to use 8PSK-Turbo over MPEG2. Only the channel headers will be in MPEG4, which will require you to have a MPEG4 receiver to decode them.

At this point in time we do not know when Dish will actually begin encoding program material in MPEG4.

Well that makes a hell of a lot of sense! Why not keep the headers on the new channels mpeg 2 since you state the actual program material is mpeg 2? At least all the current subs could view the new channels with the current mpeg 2 receivers. I don't understand the lack of rational thinking of the people at Dish.:confused:

Indy said:
Well that makes a hell of a lot of sense! Why not keep the headers on the new channels mpeg 2 since you state the actual program material is mpeg 2? At least all the current subs could view the new channels with the current mpeg 2 receivers. I don't understand the lack of rational thinking of the people at Dish.:confused:
10% don't get the word:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=51730

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts