Does anyone do any C/Ku satellite DXing???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
Just wondering if some of you do any dxing of C/Ku sats that are NOT intended for North America?? Like trying to receive sats with footprints intended for Europe or Africa or those on the West Coast looking for sats intended for Asia.

Bob

Don't know what it's like these days as it's been about 10 years since I had a BUD, but I used to get Argentina, Dubai, China, a little Australia now and then and a little Britain. I had a 10 foot Paraclipse with an H-H mount. Some of the sats were sporadic, but a lot I could hit every time with no problem.

Just wondering if some of you do any dxing of C/Ku sats that are NOT intended for North America?? Like trying to receive sats with footprints intended for Europe or Africa or those on the West Coast looking for sats intended for Asia.

Bob

Sure...I have 1 C band and 1 KU band dish with left hand drives pointed over the Atlantic. I can see down to about 11W...

Sure...I have 1 C band and 1 KU band dish with left hand drives pointed over the Atlantic. I can see down to about 11W...

AC,
What are you picking up?

Anything good or interesting??

Wow down to 11 W!! :eek:

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

The best that I've ever done in South Texas is nss7 @22 degrees. Only picked up one channel, the Reuters News Service on the Carribean footprint. My sg2100 wouldn't quite get to 30 west (Cuban baseball), so I unscrewed the East stop and used a plastic adhesive glue to move the stop. Worked great until it came unglued and rammed the dish against the dish support on my Fortec 80cm. I used to get 43w until that episode. Can't get it anymore. But I reglued the stop and it's been holding.

AC,
What are you picking up?

Anything good or interesting??

Wow down to 11 W!! :eek:

K E V I N

Well of course I'm after news, and NBC & Fox uses Telstar 12 at 15W for some of it's transatlantic hops, and as glater said, NSS7 is used for DSNG hops too. The 8 foot KU only dish stays on T12 most of the time. The World hockey semifinal games from Berne was on T12 today in PAL SD. Russia beat the US on a last minute powerplay goal in the first game and Canada was playing somebody in the second game.

Well of course I'm after news, and NBC & Fox uses Telstar 12 at 15W for some of it's transatlantic hops, and as glater said, NSS7 is used for DSNG hops too. The 8 foot KU only dish stays on T12 most of the time. The World hockey semifinal games from Berne was on T12 today in PAL SD. Russia beat the US on a last minute powerplay goal in the first game and Canada was playing somebody in the second game.

AC,

Thats Great! I have had the TELSTAR 12 project on the backburner now for awhile now. Asked on the forums weeks ago after I seen the beam covers the US about hitting that bird and the answer was yes it was possible. I need to get a stationary dish rigged over to it though! Of course the motor will not go that far, 30 degrees she wants to stop there.

Using a motorized would be impossible set up since the dish would back around itself into the mount! That is too far a stretch on a motorized. I have a World Dish and a spare Invacom might try it later to get that bird.

World hockey! OMG, going to have to get one pointed over there soon, seems like there is good stuff over on it! Any new additions out there on the Dish Farm? Enjoyed your pictures of them on your link!

Thanks for the reply my man!!

Always good to hear from you!

K E V I N

It looks to me that all the replies above refer to transponders whose beams ARE intended for North America, rather than what the original question asked.
I don't think I've ever been able to pick up any sat transponder whose beam was aimed elsewhere. Just so little signal there, that you'd need a big expensive dish to have a chance. About the only signals aimed elsewhere that make it up north are some aimed at Mexico or the Carribbean.
Anyway, I don't think picking up an Atlantic sat transponder aimed at North America as pertains to the original aimed elsewhere DX'ing question.

This guy does "out of footprint" dx'ing in a major way.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JFP7NFx3s]YouTube - Astra in Brazil - Klaus Schumacher 8M Dish : Part 1 of 2[/ame]

If someone has been successful in DXing on sats out west, I (and others perhaps) would appreciate hearing about it...

I'm talking about west of 148W for example.

Sorry, but I forgot where I saw a post of someone receiving "out of footprint" signals from South America in SE USA. I think that's what the original question meant?
If you look on Lyngsat's site, you can see the foot print for most sat signals. So I guess it would be sort of DXing if you could pick up signals not intended for your geographical area.

Status
Please reply by conversation.