Does anyone have a "black flash" problem?

Stacy A

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 15, 2003
northeast Texas
I have a quick question about a problem I've found on my 722. I recently had to buy a new TV. I had an old rear projection HDTV - early model Hitachi. It was so old that it only had component video inputs (this was before HDMI was even thought of). Anyway, it died and I bought a Samsung LED C5000 series TV. I finally had HDMI inputs. Since I have had this TV I have intermittent black flashes of the screen, sometimes non-existent, sometimes worse than others. I think it's the 722 because this doesn't happen using the PS3 (HDMI) or the Wii (which uses the component inputs). It only happens when watching tv through the 722. I can make the problem go away by turning off the tuner and turning it back on (not a re-boot, just turn off the tuner and back on or switch to PS3, which switches off the 722, and then back to 722 again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or does anyone have any suggestions? I have switched HDMI cables - being sure to use high speed ones. Currently I'm using a Mediabridge HDMI-M to HDMI-M V1.3B Cat. 2 - 6 foot cable on both the PS3 and the 722 as well.

P.S. - I'm sorry, I just realized that I should have posted this in the technical forum. Mod, please move this if you feel the need to.

I get that when i first turn on my TV. I have a Phillips 42" LCD When i first had DirecTV it happend all the time because of a conflict with the HDMI/TV/Box, then they sent out a software patch.

Now with Dish it flickers 4-5 times when i turn on the TV and then it settles down. Switching HDMI cables didn't matter to me when I changed them.

i have a LG LCD and it does the black flash, but only when i had the HDMI connected. it would do it with both my 722 and my DVD player. i just swapped the HDMI to Component Cables. it never does it now. swap the cables and it might go away for you. good luck

Things like that are why I'm terrified to buy a new flat screen. I want one real bad but if I start having problems with it like that, I might blow a gasket.

I have had Toshiba Hdtvs going back to original Rear projection hd tv I had in 2003. I now have 3 LCD models and one tube top hd tv. I have had no problems with hdmi black outs other than the problem with the faulty hdmi connections on my old 622 dvrs. I have now a 922 and two 211ks with hdmi and no problems.

Are you connecting the TV directly to the ViP722 or using some sort of intermediate device.

Interruptions are often caused when the content stream requests confirmation of the HDCP status of your TV. If your TV is slow to respond or it responds in an unconventional manner, the interruption may be extended.

I have a New Panasonic Plasma on a 211k HDMI connection,the black flashes were the beginning of the end of my HDMI ports.

Now the only thing that works is the component inputs on the plasma TV,although I have no proof I blame the Dishnetwork 211 box for killing the HDMI inputs.:confused:

How?

I have a New Panasonic Plasma on a 211k HDMI connection,the black flashes were the beginning of the end of my HDMI ports.

Now the only thing that works is the component inputs on the plasma TV,although I have no proof I blame the Dishnetwork 211 box for killing the HDMI inputs.:confused:

How could the output of the 211k hurt the input of Panny plasma? I think you are confused most like there is a problem on the input board of the TV.

I solved my flash problem but honestly couldn't tell you why it worked. I noticed the black flashes on a regular basis. When I looked at the back of my receiver (Denon 3310ci) I noticed that the HDMI connector for the DVR was one of the most stretched ones and there was pressure from the left. I couldn't move the AVR closer to the DVR and the DVR so I just used a HDMI-HDMI dual female adapter and another 6' MediaBridge cable so I could relieve the strain and let the cable just drop down.

As if by magic, the black flashes stopped.

My guess is that the extra cable added just enough capacitance to match up the AVR to the DVR.

Oh BTW: Equipment: 722K -> Denon 3310ci -> Samsung 63" PN63C590

622 with Samsung DLP via HDMI. Since day one never once a black flash. It may have something to do with the HDMI level the tv suports vs the receiver. My TV is HDMI 1.1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts