Does anyone have any experience with this HD OTA antenna?

Wilhite

Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
I'm needing to upgrade my current antenna to get all the HD OTA stations available in my area. I'm somewhere around 35 miles away from the transmitter locations according to antennaweb.org. They are recommending a "red" antenna for my location.

I'm not wanting to put up an outside antenna if I can avoid it. Attic space is available, however a large boom might be somewhat tricky to position.

Anyone know anything about this one? Pros? Cons? Anything else similar available at a cheaper price?

Radio Shack Antenna

I was looking into this one too, but my plans are on hold for a few while a family emergency came up. If you grab one before me, let me know how it works.

I am 46 Miles away from my towers and use the Channel master 4228 pictured here and it works like a champ.

It was the only antenna that allowed me to actually receive my broadcasts with any reliability. and it is attic friendly, but you will ALWAYS get a better signal from the rooftop.

Agree with slacker9876, provided your digital OTA is either UHF or VHF above channel 6. In either case, this antenna is fantastic.

Al

CM 4228 is a good UHF antenna; however, very directional (if desired stations are more than 30 degrees apart & you don't have a rotor, you may not get all the stations) and quite large (make sure you can fit it through your attic access hatch (I can't) before you buy and have a reinforced tower if you mount it outside in an area with serious wind).

You can certainly beat the price of the unit you are looking at with a lot of different antennas. If antennaweb.org says your digital channels are all UHF, then focus on UHF antennas. Radio Shack is a good start because of their liberal return policy. However, if you pretty much know what you want, there are better antennas and better sources.

Here are the sites for 2 of the better manufacturers:
Winegard

Channel Master

Here are sites for 2 reliable on-line vendors with good prices, although returns may be a problem:

Stark Electronics

Warren Electronics

Picking the right antenna is a crap shoot. I know, I've gone through six. If you want more specific advice, I'd need info on the DTV channels available in your area. What is your Zip Code?

Thanks to all for the input.

StevenD, I'm in Plano as well. The Spring Creek and Custer area. Do you have the antenna you linked and do you have it mounted outside or in the attic.

I did an experiment last night. Right now, I have all my DirecTv feeds going into a Terk BMS-58 multiswitch - including the feed from the OTA antenna. At the TV, I had a diplexer (not a splitter) where I went to the receiver and the antenna input of the TV. As a test, I eliminated the diplexer and went with the feed directly from the multiswitch into the HDTV receiver. I found that the signal strength improved quite a bit.

So now, I'm wondering if I might try a signal amplifier on the OTA antenna feed and have that work with the antenna that I currently have. I'm still considering replacing the antenna since it's over 20 years old, but I'm also thinking that I might have to have an amplifer even if I do replace the antenna.

Arrgh... too many options!! :confused: :) :confused: :D

I've used the Radio Shack 15-2160 at farther than 40 miles with very good reception. At 35 miles you shouldn't need an amplifier.

Al

Ive got the RS 15-2154 (the next size up) 30' up in the air and I pickup up everything with 75-85 signal strength.

I use this $14 indoor antenna from Radio Shack (I'm 15 miles from the towers, but have read of folks 32 miles using it also)
Double Bow-Tie
But all the towers are in the same area here. You do have to buy a $3 F-connector adapter for it. I've heard great things about the Zenith Silver Series indoor anteena as well.
But like has been stated, check & see if all channels are UHF and/or VHF & be sure you can return if it does work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)