does anyone know how to convert an old actuator with a variable pot to a reed switch?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

chaskuchar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 16, 2010
saint charles, missouri
hope i don't have to buy a new actuator. i have got my 6' dish to get everything from amc6 to amc10. but i have to click the gbox 65 times to traverse the arc. straight south is g97. using the small dish and receiver for some stations but the good receiver gets wide screen... old actuator is a prosat 118. charlie

In theory, yes.
In practice, no.

Actuators are rated as to how many counts per inch they make.
Measure how many turns of the main screw it takes to go an inch.
Let's say it'll take 8 turns to go the inch.
If you can fit a 4-magnet wheel to the shaft, then 8 x 4 = 24 counts per inch.
That would be fairly typical.
Some better actuators do 36 or 48 counts per inch, but they are top of the line.

Post some pictures of the insides, may get a better grasp of what you have, and what it needs. But, locating magnet wheels may be a problem. May have to make one, or locate a salvaged part.

I was looking through the SKYVISION catalogue and they have a huge selection of mover parts and also converion kits for sensors. They also have a chart in there showing most actuators and what kind of sensor they use. (very good reference material)

hopefully i can find the skyvision website. i talked to the local dish installer who gave me the old actuator. we talked about a reed based actuator instead of the old one. he said does it click? i thought it might. he said he might have a clicking motor to put on the old actuator. btw, this guy is 82 years old and still installing dish antennas. he installs dishnetwork dishes around here. charlie

8 x 4 = 24????
New math? Should it be 32??
Well, it's good to see a few members actually read... and think...! - :)

Maybe I was thinking 6 turns per inch...
... or three magnets...
But generally you'll want an even number of magnets, if you're going to crowd in a bunch of 'em.
I know the AJAK uses five, but it's peculiar....(and uses some magnetic magic to get 10 pulses per turn).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts