Does anyone know what this is and cause?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
If it happening on one receiver I would say it's RAM issue or DAC or VideoRAM; for many receivers and one TV - TV is bad; but the issue cannot be related to dish/LNBF/cable/switches for sure.
It is inside TV or receiver or between - i.e. signal processing, and transporting.
That's the rub. It's on 2 different receivers (HR22-100 and H21-100), and 2 different TV's (LCD and Plasma). LCD using HDMI, Plasma using component. Then, to top it off, it only happens on a small amount of HD channels 290 (Disney HD) and 360 (FoxNews HD) are 2 I know about. Very perplexing.:( I don't want to give up, but...

Oh, I have something to try - while you see the shift, try to change a) resolution on the receiver b) format on TV if it allow - wide/crop/etc.

Oh, I have something to try - while you see the shift, try to change a) resolution on the receiver b) format on TV if it allow - wide/crop/etc.

I'm not able to change the res "while" I see the stutter because it happens in about half a second. I did try lowering the resolution to 720p and the problem persisted.

This weekend I'm going to try my local Ace Hardware to see if I can get a recepticle tester for the sockets.

If it is a power/grounding issue, why would it be limited to a couple of HD channels, and not on other HD channels?

What is similar about 290 (Disney HD) and 360 (FoxNews HD), that is not similar to all my local HD's (ABC, CBS, NBC, CW) 244 (SciFi HD), 299 (Nick HD), 284 (Sci HD), and 71 (Showtime HD)?

Why only a couple of HD channels??? It makes no sense. :shocked

This is sounding more and more like a grounding issue. I know the tech supposedly "checked the ground" and it was fine, but what did that entail? For most techs, it means looking at the grounding block and the ground wire to make sure they are connected. It doesn't entail checking for a backfeed voltage in the grounding system.

The easiest way to eliminate the ground as the source of the problem would be to disconnect the green ground wire from the ground block for a few days and see if the problem reappears. Don't do this if you're expecting a tech to come out any time soon though, as they will reconnect the ground and blame the problems on it not being grounded.

This is sounding more and more like a grounding issue. I know the tech supposedly "checked the ground" and it was fine, but what did that entail? For most techs, it means looking at the grounding block and the ground wire to make sure they are connected. It doesn't entail checking for a backfeed voltage in the grounding system.

The easiest way to eliminate the ground as the source of the problem would be to disconnect the green ground wire from the ground block for a few days and see if the problem reappears. Don't do this if you're expecting a tech to come out any time soon though, as they will reconnect the ground and blame the problems on it not being grounded.

I remember I asked the tech specifically about if the satellite had a ground and he told me yes it does. I can't remember exactly what he said about checking it, other than it was connected properly. Sorry I can't be more detailed.

So, you are talking about something coming out of the satellite dish? I take it the "ground block" is in my attic, since that's the only place the tech went when he said he checked it on his first visit?

I haven't scheduled a tech visit right now, as I'm contemplating whether I will or not. I know I don't want the guy who came the other day.

Would a recepticle tester help me figure out any of this possible grounding problem you are talking about? I'm not sure I want to disconnect anything I'm not so familiar with, especially since electricity may be involved.:eek:

When my house was being painted, and the painters messed with my air conditioner where it stopped working, one of them checked something in this electrical box by wiggling it. He made a loud yelping noise as he quickly let go, and said, "I can't feel my lips!" Not good to fiddle with the unknown when electricity is in play.

Logic would seem to dictate to me that this has to be from the satellite dish itself (maybe that grounding you're talking about?), or the electrical in the house. I believe everything else has been ruled out.

I'm a noob when it comes to most of this. I'm coming along though. I appreciate the education.

There are plenty of things that could be causing the problem.

It could be a problem with a backfeed at the ground block which should be within 20' of your meter base on the outside of the house, and connected to the ground wire coming out of the meter base with a green wire. Try disconnecting that green wire at either end, and see if that helps.

The rg 59 should def be replaced, we are required to replace all rg 59 we come across even on sd recievers, and certainly hd.

All of your connectors should be disconnected and inspected, the white plastic inside the connectors should be flush with the bottom of the connector. The connectors should all be compression fittings, and not crip on, or screw on type fittings.

I would bet that the barrels in your lines are low quality, pretty much all wall plates are made with crappy barrels in them that are not rated to carry a wideband signal. They should be replaced with high quality barrels.

I hope this helps, sometimes it can be a small seemingly insignifigant component that can cause the problem you are having. I have seen even a bit of dirt or trash in the connector cause problems with hd.

Another test to do:
- disconnect from power outlet all devices what creating sat+power equipment network: receivers, PI perhaps
- connect only one receiver and check the effect again.

There are plenty of things that could be causing the problem.

It could be a problem with a backfeed at the ground block which should be within 20' of your meter base on the outside of the house, and connected to the ground wire coming out of the meter base with a green wire. Try disconnecting that green wire at either end, and see if that helps.

The rg 59 should def be replaced, we are required to replace all rg 59 we come across even on sd recievers, and certainly hd.

All of your connectors should be disconnected and inspected, the white plastic inside the connectors should be flush with the bottom of the connector. The connectors should all be compression fittings, and not crip on, or screw on type fittings.

I would bet that the barrels in your lines are low quality, pretty much all wall plates are made with crappy barrels in them that are not rated to carry a wideband signal. They should be replaced with high quality barrels.

I hope this helps, sometimes it can be a small seemingly insignifigant component that can cause the problem you are having. I have seen even a bit of dirt or trash in the connector cause problems with hd.

OK, I disconnected the ground wire at the meter. Is that the one you are referring to? The problem was still there after I did that, so I reconnected it.

I purchased a recepticle tester, and all the sockets tested correct. Just for the heck of it, I unplugged my air purifiers and fans that were running in the house, and it didn't solve anything.

I called the local D* office that I had a direct number to and left a message to call me back for an appointment to come and replace the RG59 cables with RG6. I heard from a couple of people here in this forum that it should be free since it should have been installed from the get go?

The last tech I had here really just wanted to go and be done with me without fixing anything. Do you think it would be Ok for me to ask for a more experienced troubleshooter when D* calls back? I certainly wouldn't want the same tech again, as we didn't get along, and he thought I was wrong for calling his supervisor.

Am I wrong for expecting a tech from D* to be able to diagnose this problem? Should I be responsible to hire an electrician? The recepticle tester indicated all correct wiring, but I am sure a $6.00 tester can't be 100%?

Another test to do:
- disconnect from power outlet all devices what creating sat+power equipment network: receivers, PI perhaps
- connect only one receiver and check the effect again.
I'll try unplugging the receiver that has the RG59 cable attached to it through the wall. It's RG6 from the dish and through some of the attic, then RG59 through the wall, then RG6 again from right past the wall plate to the receiver. It's a Frankenstein connection.

I still need to capture the problem on my DVR again for another tech visit, and they don't happen all the time. I have to sit there an hour sometimes for it to re-appear.

I already tried unplugging other items in the house to see if that helped and it didn't. I sure am tired of trying to diagnose this problem and wait to see if what I did helped. I hope to get a tech with more experience, patience, and time to do a good job.

Got the problem re-recorded on the DVR for the next tech visit. I'll unplug the receiver with the RG59 cable tomorrow, and see if that does anything. Other than waiting for another tech visit, I can't think of anymore troubleshooting I can do.:confused:

After reading through this thread, I really believe this is an environmentally caused problem.

I was an electronic technician for more than 30 years and from my experience it sounds (and looks) like some electrical or electronic appliance in or around your home that is causing your symptom. I know that does not solve your problem, but maybe it will help you diagnosis the problem.

Good Luck!

After reading through this thread, I really believe this is an environmentally caused problem.

I was an electronic technician for more than 30 years and from my experience it sounds (and looks) like some electrical or electronic appliance in or around your home that is causing your symptom. I know that does not solve your problem, but maybe it will help you diagnosis the problem.

Good Luck!
Thanks. Do you believe it is likely one electronic or electric item, or perhaps many? Would it or they need to be turned on, or simply plugged in?

Thanks. Do you believe it is likely one electronic or electric item, or perhaps many? Would it or they need to be turned on, or simply plugged in?

More than likely it is just one item causing the interference, but I can not rule anything out. I have seen some weird things cause inference.

Power will need to be removed from the suspect interfering item.

My microwave oven interferes with my D* receiver. Other devices that can cause inference with electronics are induction motors. The first thing that came to mind is the fan in a forced air heating system or a refrigerator. Light dimmers are also a common cause of interference.

Another thing that I experienced was electronic devices interfering with each other by being to close to one another. Once a had a friend that had a stereo receiver mounted underneath a television. The radiation from the television prevented the stereo receiver from picking up one, and only one, of the local radio stations.

Weird things happen!

More than likely it is just one item causing the interference, but I can not rule anything out. I have seen some weird things cause inference.

Power will need to be removed from the suspect interfering item.

My microwave oven interferes with my D* receiver. Other devices that can cause inference with electronics are induction motors. The first thing that came to mind is the fan in a forced air heating system or a refrigerator. Light dimmers are also a common cause of interference.

Another thing that I experienced was electronic devices interfering with each other by being to close to one another. Once a had a friend that had a stereo receiver mounted underneath a television. The radiation from the television prevented the stereo receiver from picking up one, and only one, of the local radio stations.

Weird things happen!
Could it be frequency related as to why it's happening on only 2 HD Channels, and not on the majority of them?

When testing items in the house the other day, I only turned them off, I didn't unplug them, so perhaps I need to start from scratch on eliminating electric items?

Another strange thing is that so far as I can tell, this problem doesn't start happening until later in the afternoon, but does happen all the way up past 3:00am. I can't think of any items that do this to cause interference.

But then your statement, "weird things happen" come to mind.

Another question I would have is if there was anything I could do to shield this interference?

I already have 2 surge protectors/power cleaners for my a/v setup. I plugged the receiver into the wall outlet to rule out these protectors/cleaners from causing the problem. Below is what is stated about these protectors/cleaners:

Protects sensitive electronic equipment from power disturbances.
Removes electromagnetic and radio frequency interference from household appliances, fluorescent lights, and digital components.
3850J of surge protection, 132,000 Amp Maximum Spike Current

Again though, "weird things happen."

Could it be frequency related as to why it's happening on only 2 HD Channels, and not on the majority of them?

Yes. My microwave only effects one channel.

When testing items in the house the other day, I only turned them off, I didn't unplug them, so perhaps I need to start from scratch on eliminating electric items?

That might help!

Another strange thing is that so far as I can tell, this problem doesn't start happening until later in the afternoon, but does happen all the way up past 3:00am. I can't think of any items that do this to cause interference.

It's possible that the interference is coming from outside of your house. If that is the case you do not have any control of the situation. My stepfather lives close to an airport and gets interference from the radar transmitter. Do you live close to any RF (TV/Radio) transmitting towers or in line with a microwave tower?

But then your statement, "weird things happen" come to mind.

Another question I would have is if there was anything I could do to shield this interference?

More than likely, no!

I already have 2 surge protectors/power cleaners for my a/v setup. I plugged the receiver into the wall outlet to rule out these protectors/cleaners from causing the problem. Below is what is stated about these protectors/cleaners:

Protects sensitive electronic equipment from power disturbances.
Removes electromagnetic and radio frequency interference from household appliances, fluorescent lights, and digital components.
3850J of surge protection, 132,000 Amp Maximum Spike Current

Again though, "weird things happen."

I personally don't believe in surge protectors/power cleaners. Usually they do not do anything except take your money. The surge protectors will not stop a direct lighting strike and there is no power cleaner that can stop all frequencies.

Just my personal opinion! No offense intended!

efbrune, thanks for all the help.;) I don't think I am in line with any transmitters, etc., but who knows. You're right, that some things are just out of people's control, that's for sure.:up

All I can really do is troubleshoot a little more, and call D* again, just to see what they might say. Who knows, they may come up with something. I'm glad I paid for that insurance protection, atleast for now. I may as well take advantage of it. :cool:

Hey everyone, check this out:

D* Verified MPEG4 720p Image Breakup - AVS Forum

It's not just me afterall. My last tech visit got me all new cables (RG6 all the way baby), new connectors all around, a ground system, a new LNB. And, D* still seems to have no clue as to my problem.

I've been waiting for a call back to test my electrical system and further troubleshoot this issue. It's on it's third day for me waiting. I think they want me to go away.

Anyhow, if anyone knows how to get in touch with the real D* people that can truly handle this, please let them know. This is so frustrating for the customer.

Hey everyone, check this out:

D* Verified MPEG4 720p Image Breakup - AVS Forum

It's not just me afterall. My last tech visit got me all new cables (RG6 all the way baby), new connectors all around, a ground system, a new LNB. And, D* still seems to have no clue as to my problem.

I've been waiting for a call back to test my electrical system and further troubleshoot this issue. It's on it's third day for me waiting. I think they want me to go away.

Anyhow, if anyone knows how to get in touch with the real D* people that can truly handle this, please let them know. This is so frustrating for the customer.

There have been numerous threads about this issue on DBS, dating back a good 3 to 4 months. This issue has been going on for a long time and it isnt your equipment. Its a D* MPEG-4 issue and it isnt going to go away until D* fixes it.

There have been numerous threads about this issue on DBS, dating back a good 3 to 4 months. This issue has been going on for a long time and it isnt your equipment. Its a D* MPEG-4 issue and it isnt going to go away until D* fixes it.
Just found that out yesterday. Kind of a relief of sorts. Was wondering if you had any links to threads on this issue over there at DBS, or maybe a good search word(s) to use?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts