Does Comcast Digital pass TV Guide through?

JoeMSG

Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
San Fransco Bay Area
Thanks to help on this forum, I got partially set up with Comcast after its conversion to digital in our San Francisco area. I have an QAM TV directly connected to the feed and get all the major on-air and cable stations, albeit at often strange channels. I have an old analog TV connected with the free Comcast "Digital Transport Adapter" that gets the Comcast feed on the Comcast published channels.

I still have a problem with my Toshiba RD-XS55KU video recorder. It only has an analog tuner. In a fit of desperation I actually read TFM and learned how to set up the G-Link on the video recorder to control the Motorola DCH70 box supplied by Comcast. Now when I tell the video recorder to change channels, it stays on Channel 3 and tells the DCH70 box to select the correct channel. The problem is that the video recorder is not getting the "TV Guide on Screen" schedule information through the DCH70 box. It does not know when to start and stop recording.

If I remove the DCH70 box and alter the video recorder setup to be directly plugged into cable, it gets the full schedule. The problem is that the tuner will only work on the analog channels 2 to 33.

So I can either get the digital channels and not see the schedule or I can see the schedule and not get the digital channels. Should I be able to have both?

I am trying to narrow the problem down as a start to a solution. Is it Comcast, my recorder, or me? Is Comcast known to pass the schedule through the MCH70 to boxes like my video recorder? Or is Comcast known to not provide it?

The "Digital Transport Adapter" might be an alternate. The DTA appears to be a Pace (?) DC50X. I know little about it. It is reputed to not be compatible with much of any remote or video recorder.

Thanks,

Joe M