Does DirecTV do Black Friday or Cyber Monday promotions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jca

Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
My friend (who is an existing customer) called to upgrade his DirecTV to HD and when he asked about offers or promotions, the CSR didn't really offer much, and this was speaking to the Retention department. This seemed a bit unusual considering my friend isn't under any (2 year) contract and could leave for Dish.

He was basically looking to upgrade his two DirecTV Tivo SD (!) receivers to HR24s (ideally for free or a low price) and have the HD fee waived for an extended period of time. Does DirecTV still charge a HD fee and do they ever offer to credit it back? He wasn't even looking for free NFL Sunday or other pay channel promos they commonly offer. He's not interested in any other receivers/setups (such as the Genie).

Basically the CSR was trying to offer a DVR and a receiver for $19.95 (with no other discounts or different receivers). The agent was confused about what model numbers they were actually offering and my friend had to correct him since the CSR gave the wrong info. It was HR24 DVR and a H25 receiver, but the agent didn't disclose the fees associated with that setup until he asked about it. My friend doesn't want any sort of networking, etc. and wants to avoid the H25 receiver.

He turned down the offer(s), and asked if DirecTV would have any Black Friday promotions. The agent said he didn't know and they never know when/what promos are coming until they show up for work that morning and hear about it.

Does DirecTV ever offer any deals (for existing customers) for the holidays? Should my friend wait until later this week to try again or is this the best he should expect?

Nope, no special Holiday offers.. The offers they do have for existing customers tend to change every month or so..
Yes, they still charge an HD fee.
Your friend was offered the receivers for free. The 19.95 was a shipping and handling fee that they're not supposed to credit. I'm just guessing, but I think he was offered a Free HD-DVR, Free HD-Receiver, Free Whole Home and Free Install (which includes the Dish, cables and any hardware). The Cost without the offer would have been:
HD-DVR: 199.99
HD Receiver: 99.99
Whole Home: I ferget.. it's more than you think
Install: 49.99
The whole enchilada usually works out to about 350-400 bucks. If that was the offer he got, he prolly should have taken it.. It's the best one they currently have going for existing customers ).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts