Does DirecTV have anything similar to Dish's DishAnywhere?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Genie Go will allow you to watch any program off your DVR over your home wifi network on iPhone, iPad, and some Android devices (not sure if android is launched or coming soon).

It also will transcode and download programs to your device to watch away from home (not stream, but download).

Device is around $100, no monthly cost.

I have to pay for a $100 device, the Genie Go, in order to do what I can do at no charge using a Hopper With Sling? Seems to me DirecTV has made a mistake here, and needs to fix it in the next model if they can't with current models.

Yes you can with DishAnywhere. You go to the guide, select whatever is on at that time and it asks if you want to watch it....Live.

So, in other words, NO, you cannot watch live tv on your phone, ipad, etc. outside your own home network.

Can you also watch live channels on your computer?

Perhaps this will help:

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3624/related/1

DIRECTV is continuing to add more TV channels to stream live to your computer, tablet, or phone. Here is a list of network channels that you can stream live today.
See what you need to stream live TV

Channels you can stream in your home:

A&E
AMC
Animal Planet
Audience Network
AXS TV
BBC America
beIN Sports
beIN Sports Espanol
BET
Big Ten Network
Biography
Bloomberg
Bravo
Cartoon Network
Cinemax East
CMT
CNBC +
CNN
CNN Headline News
Comedy Central
Cooking Channel
Crime & Investigation
Destination America
Discovery Channel
DIY Network
E!
ENCORE East
ENCORE Action
Food Network
Fox Business Network
Fox News Channel
Fox Soccer Channel
Fox Sports 1
Fox Sports 2
FX
Galavision
Golf Channel
H2
Hallmark Channel
Hallmark Movie Channel
HBO East
HDNet Movies
HGTV
History Channel
IFC
Investigation Discovery
ION
Lifetime
Lifetime Movie Network
Mega
MGM
MLB Network
MSNBC
MTV
Nat Geo Wild
National Geographic Channel
NBA.TV
NBC Sports Network
NFL Network
NHL Network
Nick
OWN
Palladia
Shorts
Showtime East
Showtime 2
Showtime Beyond
Showtime Women
Showtime Next
Showtime Extreme
Smithsonian Channel
Sony Movie Channel
Spike
STARZ East
STARZ Edge
STARZ Kids & Family
STARZ Comedy
STARZ Cinema
Syfy
TBS
Tennis Channel
The Science Channel
The Weather Channel
TLC
The Movie Channel East
The Movie Channel Xtra
TNT
Travel Channel
truTV
Turner Classic Movies
TV Land
TWC Sportsnet
TWC Sportsnet Deportes
UniMas
Universal HD
Univision Deportes
Univision East
USA Network
Velocity
VH1

I have to pay for a $100 device, the Genie Go, in order to do what I can do at no charge using a Hopper With Sling? Seems to me DirecTV has made a mistake here, and needs to fix it in the next model if they can't with current models.

You had to buy the Sling, didn't you ?

Fwiw, theres always gonna be something that one company does that the other doesn't ... different equipment or different channels ... if not it would be ONE company.

Is that the same price as other recvrs ?

Just like always, free with new/returning customer and varying price as an 'upgrade' depending on your account and the magic 8 ball the CSR is using at the time.

Exactly like D*.

Well, other than it works better than the GenieGo from all the reports I've read.

Fwiw, theres always gonna be something that one company does that the other doesn't ... different equipment or different channels ... if not it would be ONE company.

Absolutely!! :)

Dish't current DishAnywhere offering is much better and more flexible than is D*'s at the moment. But both are a moving target so both should get better.

Dish has had viewing of recorded material on your DVR in the home for quite a long while, long before the Hopper was introduced. It was strictly an in home streaming at the time and only worked for recorded material, but it worked quite well. I used to watch late night TV by setting the show to record and then go to bed and watch it slightly delayed on my iPad 1.

Now we can do the same thing when away from home if we have good enough upstream capability, or even if not as long as you don't mind watching not good video. :) Add to it the online, away from home and the ability to transfer recordings to tablets, and you've got a very flexible system.

D*'s is still pretty much a work in progress at this point.

Status
Please reply by conversation.