Does DirecTV have space?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DS0816

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 24, 2006
Hello,

Before bringing in dozens -- or, as has been stated, hundreds -- of channels (especially with HD) once the MPEG-4 format is in play … I'm wondering if DirecTV has any current space to add, say, two more HD channels and one SD channel?

I ask because this seems so little, yet I get the impression from these discussion boards that DirecTV cannot afford to add so little as one HD channel.

Thank you!

DS0816 said:
Hello,

Before bringing in dozens -- or, as has been stated, hundreds -- of channels (especially with HD) once the MPEG-4 format is in play … I'm wondering if DirecTV has any current space to add, say, two more HD channels and one SD channel?

I ask because this seems so little, yet I get the impression from these discussion boards that DirecTV cannot afford to add so little as one HD channel.

Thank you!
Sorta confused by the way your question is asked.
Once the MPEG4 is in play D* will have plenty of space to add additional channels,
SD as well as HD...
As for the current monent, I think they are dedicating thier efforts towards getting the MPEG4 straightened out and running properly, therefore I doubt that anything will come on board soon, however they could throw us a channel if they so desired,,I seriously doubt that the entire bandwidth space on the current sats are used up completely.

Jimbo

I seriously doubt that the entire bandwidth space on the current sats are used up completely.

I totally agree with Jimbo and would add that it would also be common sense to think that a certain number of transponders would be empty; to be ready as backups in the event that a few used transponders failed.

Any current space will be used for NFL ST HD games, to the detriment of PQ on other channels.

The space they "may" have is reserved for backup, if one tp fails its twin brother will be fired up to replace the tp.

As in past years, on sundays during the NFL season PPV channels will disappear(go Off Air) and NFL Sunday Ticket HD will replace them.

There apparently is no space for even one more HD Channel. If there was, the HD game currently on NFL Network HD would be on. D* is apparently only carrying the advertised HD preseason NFL games.

The satellites which will carry the "hundreds" of national HD channels have not been launched.

Last edited:
In the past DirecTV has shown the NFL Network HD for the regular not pre season so this is no big surprise; what is worth waiting to see is now that the NFL Network has 8 sched Thur & Sat games what is going to be shown on DirecTV.

Last edited:
DS0816 said:
Hello,

Thank you!
no

As best as I can determine from bean counting I have done previously, DirecTV fully utilizes the available uplink spectrum at its three Ku locations, and therefore no channels can be added on a regular basis without deleting some. Adding an MPEG2 HDTV channel would require dropping about six or seven standard definition channels

DirecTV 4S and 7S have backup transponders onboard that can be matrixed in to replace malfunctioning units. There are also a couple of older satellites whose names I no longer remember that are "stored" conveniently such that they can provide backup conus beams, which could in turn free up additional agile transponders on the spot beam satellites. You may recall the trouble that a lot of people had with HBO on transponder 30 a couple of years ago. The informed speculation was that they were temporarily broadcasting it off a single powered (120Watt) transponder on one of the older satellites and it was getting beaten up by the higher intermodulation floor that results from now having double-powered transponders for the other CONUS beams, as well as the high intensity spot beams. In Los Angeles, for example, transponder 28 was about 11 dB stronger than transponder 30 was when it was weak, and some devices, like the Sonora SAL 20-24 stacker, with its automatic gain control (AGC), basically forced its amplifier to beat up the weaker signals. I actually bailed out one MDU by changing from an SAL 20-24 to a cheaper, residential Sonora 575 microstacker because I could pad down the stacker input without getting thwarted by an AGC. But even if DirecTV used one of its backups satellites to supply a CONUS beam or two, thereby freeing up 4S or 7S hardware, there is just not any uplink space to accommodate that programming, unless 7S has the physical capability to receive uplinking from a fourth site, a capability of which I am not aware.

At some point, DirecTV will determine that enough MPEG4 receivers have been installed or are available to be installed to meet the needs of customers who only want them for additional HDTV programming. My own wild guess is that could be a year away. In the mean time, I can't tell any customer in good conscience that DirecTV provides the best answer to fulfil their HDTV needs.

Last edited:
Yup, I guess so, but being that I didn't understand anything that he said in the post I thought Vurbano summed it up pretty good! LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)