Does dish charge more if I dont have a phoneline?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Johnwashere

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Im getting dish on Friday and was just wondering if I get charged extra for not having a phoneline plugged in? My monthly bill is sopused to be 62 a month, but I talked to an operator online and they are they said they charge 5 bucks a month for an "access fee" (for each tuner i believe?) if I dont have a phoneline. So this is gona cost me over 70 a month it seems like.... I just cant believe this, is this really true? Im allready paying 5 extra a month for the recivers, but then it seems like I have to pay 10 if I dont have a phoneline??? Someone clue me in here

no

you pay $4.99 for each tuner after the first. If you have a dual tuner and don't have it in the phone line, you are charged 4.99. If you do, you're charged 0

So as an example....you get a dual tuner unit
0 if in phone line
4.99 if not

OK well yea they allready quoted me geting charged 4.99 for the dual reciver. Im getting the 811/322/311 recivers (so a high def., dual tuner, and single tuner) with top 180... I was quoted at 62.99. I was just hoping that was correct. :)

311 will have a 4.99 fee.....but I don't know how they would do the 322 for the extra fee....If the 322 was the main unit it would be different

If you are getting a dual tuner such as a 322 they will charge you an access fee of $5 for not having it connected to the phone line. Basically it can work a couple different ways..heres my example for a 2 tv setup:

322 plugged into phone line= programming cost only
322 w/o phone line=programming cost +$5 access fee for second tuner
(2)311's-one for each tv=programming cost +$5 equipment "rental" fee

so basically, if you dont have a phone line, its the same cost as having seperate recievers on every tv. If you do have it plugged in the take ff the access fee. making it $5 less/month..and they ALWAYS quote you the price with phone lines plugged in.

Most decent techs will offer to run phone lines for you for a price. Keep in mind phone providers like SBC would charge you around $125 for a phone line..electrician rates vary, but can be high for a sperate trip as well.
I myself do it for different prices for different systems and am willing to do it as low as $20 if it is an easy run and the customer is cool. I have chargeds as high as $50 if they were rude or called dish complaining and made me wait around :)

Ah crap :( That stinks... Yea I mine as well get all seperate tuners if it will be the same price with out a phoneline. We will not be getting a phoneline... I wonder if the installer will bring seperate tuners then, or if I should call dish and tell them too.

they probably will not unless you have the workorder changed days in advance. If you call the day of install you're probably out of luck.

Iceberg said:
311 will have a 4.99 fee.....but I don't know how they would do the 322 for the extra fee....If the 322 was the main unit it would be different
how do you figure? it doesnt matter where the 322 is at, if he doesnt have a phone line connected then he will be charged for the second tuner side as well as the first tuner side of the unit, example would be if he had 2 322's then the second would be $4.99 if he has a phone line atached to both, at this point both 322's are seen as single recievers. If he didnt have phone lines atached then the first 322 is seen as 2 recievers with the first reciever being free and the second is seen as reciever 3 and 4 and he would be paying $4.99 x 3. In his case it will be the same no matter what position the 322 is as he will have 4 tv's hooked up and with no phone line is going to pay $4.99 x 3.

Well I just called dish and got my setup changed. I have the HD tuner, and 3 single tuners now. Now Im hoping the install should be easier and look nicer. Its the same price this way too. I got the same installation date (friday).
Just wondering, is the dish network call center in India or somewhere close? They all have the accent whenever I call customer service.

unfortunately my company uses a call center located in india instead of employing Americans for the positions, they were supposed to open a call center in oklahoma city and shut down the india call center, no idea as to wether that has happening or not.

(3)311's will definitely be an easier, cleaner looking install especially if youre prewired.
If you already have cable outlets that can be used, make sure your dnsc installer changes the old barrel connectors in the wallplate to 3ghz I do a lot of SC/TC's on other techs and must say that is a very common issue with them. It shouldn't be, but a lot of guys see it working and figure it will keep on working like that.

40_oz said:
(3)311's will definitely be an easier, cleaner looking install especially if youre prewired.
If you already have cable outlets that can be used, make sure your dnsc installer changes the old barrel connectors in the wallplate to 3ghz I do a lot of SC/TC's on other techs and must say that is a very common issue with them. It shouldn't be, but a lot of guys see it working and figure it will keep on working like that.

Interesting. This would explain some of the problems I have had . Thanks for the info.

LM

Only these receivers are subject to the $5 dual receiver charge if not connected to a phone line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts