Does Dish downrez HD channels?

I would appreciate it if you would at least try a little to be civil and not hurl abuse every chance you get. You have called me names (a clown), insulted my intelligence repeatedly, and now insulted my education. Is this really necessary in order to share your knowledge or correct my mistakes?

(In the above case so uncharitably dismissed by BubbaBoy, I focused on the conversion between MHz and bps and then blundered in my conversion between symbols and bits. Argh! Mistakes happen.)

You didn't "blunder your conversion". You never knew anything about how analog carrier signals are modulated to carry digital information. Just as you know nothing about digital video compression, compression algorithms, information theory, digital video broadcasting, or satellite transmission. Which makes you wholly unqualified to comment on how signal quality does or does not affect picture quality. If you're going to post in a technical thread, and you have no technical knowledge and post a bunch of idiotic statements, you have to be prepared to take your lumps.

You are using as you say an average to know what is really going on you would have to go thru the entire show and check what bit rate is constantly going on to find out how much is where. There are going to be times when fast movement will need all it can get and then when talking heads are up it just needs 4 per etc,etc. I did enjoy all the math that you used, shows you know something about what is going on. Do all the car races look bad? If so then there is a problem if not it could have been what was coming from the provider also.

Im really surprised that it still avg'd 7.0mbs/s with 7 channels on the tp. One would think, at that bitrate, PQ would be pretty good.

Yeah, now that I think about it, 7Mbps should have been sufficient for good PQ. I have other clips off Versus of IndyCar racing at similar bitrates that don't show the same artifacts. In fact, it appears the problems are isolated to a subset of the on-track cameras. For instance, the in-car HD cameras don't show the same problems, nor does the overhead camera that's on a crane.

I would say that BOTH providers downrez to some extent.

We KNOW that Dish does it, we can have seen that in TSReader, but there is nothing I know of to measure the bit rate from DirecTV.

However with that said I have checked on MANY occasions and sometimes DirecTV will look better, but other times Dish looks better. I think the reason for this is because both providers use VBR encoding. And it appears each is tweaked differently for different situations.

DirecTV has said in the past they just pass through their HD signals unaltered, but I dont buy that since because of the VBR encoding. Again sometimes DirecTV's HD looks better, other times on the same channel Dish's HD looks better.

I will say both look poor compared to the original raw HD feeds.Over the past week I have been watching a number of in the clear HD channels and events on my C Band system, and the PQ is AMAZING on some of these feeds. These are what HD signals should look like!

But its not just a problem with Dish or DirecTV, its the local broadcasters as well. My local PBS has the HD channel plus 4 digital subchannels and it (the HD) looks horrible. However on C Band the HD feed looks amazing and lifelike, like it would almost could pop off the set.

My local NBC is the same way, one HD feed and two SD subchannels channels, CBS is 1 HD feed and 3 subchannels, ABC is 1 HD feed and 4 HD subchannels.

The days of REAL HD are already past us, if you were around when Dish and DirecTV had 2 or 3 HD stations, then you know how good HD can truly look.

I think besides C Band the only place you might be able to catch pure HD is if you live in a place where they have FIOS service. It is my understanding that FIOS is not re compressing the HD signals and is sending them in their pure form as received. The big problem with FIOS is (besides their poor excuse for a DVR) is the fact that FIOS is only available in a limited amount of areas.

And there you have it.

Yeah, now that I think about it, 7Mbps should have been sufficient for good PQ. I have other clips off Versus of IndyCar racing at similar bitrates that don't show the same artifacts. In fact, it appears the problems are isolated to a subset of the on-track cameras. For instance, the in-car HD cameras don't show the same problems, nor does the overhead camera that's on a crane.

Yeah, something with other live sports. The line of scrimmage in a fball game can look amazing, while others on the field look horrible.

Once you get past bitrate/resolution, you still have to get past the feed and cameras.

I think many times we blame it on the provider when TNT looks like crap, but we easily forget how good HDNET, ESPN and Syfy look.

I think besides C Band the only place you might be able to catch pure HD is if you live in a place where they have FIOS service. It is my understanding that FIOS is not re compressing the HD signals and is sending them in their pure form as received. The big problem with FIOS is (besides their poor excuse for a DVR) is the fact that FIOS is only available in a limited amount of areas.

And there you have it.

Yeah, some areas of Hampton Roads are scheduled for FIOS in like 2017, no seriously....

My area, which is in the stix, still only has VZ 3 mbps down DSL MAX, so i dont expect FIOS as an option before I retire.

Am I ecstatic with the Dish HD PQ? No. Am I happy with it? Yes.

My love is the 722k, this thing rocks.

I resolved myself to realizing that the only true eye and eargasms I'll get is when I throw in a BR at 1080p and have DTS HD Master audio running, like last night with the Watchmen Directors cut.

Yes they down res sometimes. To be fair I've seen 50mbps feeds, that's unrealistic to have one channel per tp.

I've also seen sd feeds with hd icons overlayed. Nice eh, you know who you are nesn

Speaking of Watchman

Yeah, some areas of Hampton Roads are scheduled for FIOS in like 2017, no seriously....

My area, which is in the stix, still only has VZ 3 mbps down DSL MAX, so i dont expect FIOS as an option before I retire.

Am I ecstatic with the Dish HD PQ? No. Am I happy with it? Yes.

My love is the 722k, this thing rocks.

I resolved myself to realizing that the only true eye and eargasms I'll get is when I throw in a BR at 1080p and have DTS HD Master audio running, like last night with the Watchmen Directors cut.

I rented the 1080p version of Watchmen off E* and thought this was just slightly better than 1080I. Yes my panny HD does play 24p even check part of the way thru and it was displaying that it was in fact a 1080p movie.

BuddyBoy, the other person is 'skeptical' of your numbers, could you provide some info on how you're getting them?

Also, if you have the time could you also check a couple of the premium movie channels for resolution? Thanks

So my suspicions are now proven true. IF both sat providers down rez then it won't matter when all the remaining channels go hd. The people wan't everything in hd and once we get all channels in hd , we will find that the pq will look as bad as before when it was all SD: OVER COMPRESSED AND SH*TTY.

BuddyBoy, the other person is 'skeptical' of your numbers, could you provide some info on how you're getting them?

Also, if you have the time could you also check a couple of the premium movie channels for resolution? Thanks

He has an R5000 mod, I would fully trust his numbers of resolution. Bit rates, you can calculate that yourself with a DVR, external HD, and calculator.

Thanks to the poster who clued me in on the fact thatDirect's Top Movies on the Playlist ARE in fact, downloaded to the DVR in advance AND in 1080p. I had called CSR's numerous times and never told this!

I now have this questio of DISH:

Does E* also provide 1080p full-length movis from their own version of the playlist without downloading via internet?

Also, are ALL 1080p movies or programs cut off at top and bottom--whether downloaded as VOD or pre-downloaded to DVR via Sat?

I don't know what format Dish's VOD is in, but showing movies in their original aspect ratio is NOT cutting anything off.

Answer is in my sig. As someone else stated, I have an R5000 and can capture the transport streams off one of my 211s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)