Does Dish fiddle with satellites?

brownover

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
north carolina
Just wondering. 129 signal always steady as a rock, but yesterday afternoon they begin fluctuating all over. One minute a transponder will be 15 db weaker, then 15 minutes later back where it was. Clear skies, new lnbs.

They use thrusters to keep them at the correct orbital location or to move it to another location. They could be making changes as well. Also, if you have trees with branches close to in front of the dish in the signal's path and the wind is blowing, that can cause a fluctuation in signal as well.

They use thrusters to keep them at the correct orbital location or to move it to another location. They could be making changes as well. Also, if you have trees with branches close to in front of the dish in the signal's path and the wind is blowing, that can cause a fluctuation in signal as well.
Thanks Star. No problem with branches. I am a long distance from 129 and I guess it is probably some things going on between me and the satellite.

There is another possibility. There were some DP lnb's that were out a while back that had manufacturer defects called lnb drift. If you go into your system information screen does it give you some sort of error? What type of dish and receiver do you have? Does the dish have two seperate eyes or are they all built in together?

not to mention interferance at your location, receiver issues, cable issues, software, etc.
my 722 does this about once a month, signals on 129 fluctuate all over the place, and it just needs a hard reset. could be my ota module, who knows.

There is another possibility. There were some DP lnb's that were out a while back that had manufacturer defects called lnb drift. If you go into your system information screen does it give you some sort of error? What type of dish and receiver do you have? Does the dish have two seperate eyes or are they all built in together?
No drift, new lnbs.

There are 2 times of the year near the equinoxes when the sun in behind the satellite and that can cause a short "black out" from noise. It is different for each location and satellite. I'm sure there is a calculator for this but I don't plan to look for it. (Random thought.)
-Ken

Similar issue here with signal strength from various transponders on sat at 61.5. Transponder 32 in particular. Up until 2 weeks ago mid 40s was my best reading. For the last few days it is at 53. Also increased strength on other tps. 8 week old dpp lnbf on the dish.
So what's causing this???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)