Does DISH have a Rewards Credit Card like DTV?

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
With a Direct TV Visa card, when I accumulate 5000 points (can purchase anything), I get $50 off my DTV programming--I can usually do this about 4 times a year--it is not a promotion, but a standard feature if I use the DTV Visa.

Does DISH have anything similar?

Pat:confused:

Thats not really that good of a reward.

I just did one with American Express that gave me $1000 in gift cards for spending $2000 on my American Express card! (No they are not always this good.. but American Express wanted me back after I canceled my card with them last year. :)

Look around you can find MUCH better rewards then $50 for spending $5000.

Thanks, Scott--I know other CCards have better rewards but are they consistently able to apply them to Direct TV purchases (programming)? Not just a one-time promotion--The rewards MUST apply to Direct TV programming costs. Thanks.

If your going to spend the money why not maximize your rewards. To spend that much and get such little reward does not make sense to me. I would rather get more rewards from something else and pay DIRECTV the full price.

If you could spend $5000 and get $200 in rewards somewhere else, that to me is better then spending $5000 and getting $50 off my DIRECTV.

My wife is an expert on credit card rewards. Thats her hobby. :) Hopefully she will chime in later.

Are we talking cash back rewards? The best cash back rewards I could find was a flat 1.25% cash a while back. $200 for spending $5000 is great if the reward is used for something I need, but if it's a gift card for a specific retailer that I rarely use, then no thanks.

Also, getting 5% on certain types of purchases at certain times of the year capped at a certain amount is not worth it to me either.

Ok, that does make sense, but we are on retired income and don't spend a whole lot, but the Satellite budget is a critical item, so would welcome any other "deals" your wife might know of that are consistent. We just had a Shell MC that was giving us 5% off Shell gas purchases and then all of a sudden, they changed the terms and we can no longer get that "reward" so we are dumping the card and will just use the DTV visa, until we can find a better deal. Thanks.

I agree--it would have to be cash back, as any other designated reward would not work, as our purchases are very limited and narrowly-focused, unfortunately. The $50 for $5000 is equivalent to %1 cash back, so....

What is the points to dollar ratio? Do you have to spend $5000 to get $50 off your bill or is it 5000 points to get $50 off your bill?

With a Direct TV Visa card, when I accumulate 5000 points (can purchase anything), I get $50 off my DTV programming--I can usually do this about 4 times a year--it is not a promotion, but a standard feature if I use the DTV Visa.

Does DISH have anything similar?

Pat:confused:

I have always believed that having Dish Network was my reward.Other providers that are higher priced are able to come out with cash back programs to make a subscriber feel better about their service.;)

1% isn't worth agonizing over. I use my Costco AMEX card to pay my satellite TV bill and get that much and I can spend it on anything (other than memberships or gift cards) that Costco sells. That will buy a lot of gasoline that nets me a 3% cash back.

Other cards offer up to 2% on purchases anywhere for pretty much anything.

For those unfamiliar with the DIRECTV VISA card, here's the deal:

DIRECTV: REWARDS Visa Card

It the grand scheme, what they're offering isn't very grand.

I get 5000 points for spending $5000. Also, I don't think for the package I am interested in that DTV is really any higher in price than DISH. So, it looks from these responses that DISH does not have a comparative credit card. So, if I could find a CCard with 2% cash back for spending on anything and good for anything, I'd like to know.

Last edited:
I agree--it would have to be cash back, as any other designated reward would not work, as our purchases are very limited and narrowly-focused, unfortunately. The $50 for $5000 is equivalent to %1 cash back, so....
Fellow retiree here...

Look at the amazon.com Visa card. No fee, 3% back on amazon.com, 2% back on money spent at gas stations, restaurants, drug stores, and office supply stores, and 1% back on everything else. What is not yet clear to me is whether I simply get the cash back or I must use it a amazon.com...

Plan B, Navy Federal Credit Union has a Visa Card that gives me real cash back at 1% on everything.. if you are eligible for membership in ANY credit union, they may have an attractive cash rewards CC.

Last edited:
I use the Directv Card . I also use Paypal for 2 percent back instantly . That adds up quickly but you have to be careful. Many overspend as a result of it. I don't because I'm cheap.

Look at the amazon.com Visa card. No fee, 3% back on amazon.com, 2% back on money spent at gas stations, restaurants, drug stores, and office supply stores, and 1% back on everything else. What is not yet clear to me is whether I simply get the cash back or I must use it a amazon.com...

It used to be when you hit 2500 points, they automatically cut you a $25 gift cert to amazon.
Now, you have to use the website or phone person to get the rewards but it's more than just amazon.

2500 points = $25 amazon gift card
5000 points = $50 cash or statement credit, $50 gift card to many different places (BP, Shell, Mariott, Hyatt, Applebees, Chilis/Macaroni Grill/Maggiano's, Dunkin, Outback, Panera, Starbucks, TGI Fridays, & Red Lobster/Olive Garden/LongHorn Steakhouse/Bahama Breeze)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts