Does Dish have any responsibility for removing an abandoned dish?

CalBear37

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
Rocklin, CA
With my recent Hopper replacement the technician installed a new dish because the age of the old dish and related connectors may have been the cause of some intermittent problems. The abandoned dish is at the peak of the roof and ladder placement is a problem. Also considering the weather the technician felt removing the dish at that time would be dangerous. Does Dish have any responsibility for removing an abandoned dish or am I stuck with paying someone to do it? Dish were the folks who installed it including an upgrade some time ago for HD. I don't have the appropriate ladder and am not in a condition to do the job in any case.

Satellite dishes once installed do become property of the home owner. If we set up a work order to send a tech to come and remove the old equipment it would have a charge of $95 associated with that. You can contact a local retailer in the area an see if what prices they have for removing the old equipment as well.

Satellite dishes once installed do become property of the home owner. If we set up a work order to send a tech to come and remove the old equipment it would have a charge of $95 associated with that. You can contact a local retailer in the area an see if what prices they have for removing the old equipment as well.
Why did I not receive this information ($95) from the Dish technician or Dish Tech Support when I called?

Actually your wrong because if you cancel Dish requires the LNB to be returned. So does Dish own the Dish or not? If they own the LNB, then why didn't they remove it when they upgraded the Dish.

In addition the customer asked the technician to remove the Dish and the technician refused, citing safety issues. So what would be different if the customer called and setup a $95 service call?

Is it less dangerous to remove if the customer paid $95 instead of trying to get the last installer to do it for free?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Actually your wrong because if you cancel Dish requires the LNB to be returned. So does Dish own the Dish or not? If they own the LNB, then why didn't they remove it when they upgraded the Dish.

In addition the customer asked the technician to remove the Dish and the technician refused, citing safety issues. So what would be different if the customer called and setup a $95 service call?

Is it less dangerous to remove if the customer paid $95 instead of trying to get the last installer to do it for free?
tell them to send a tech with a ladder to get it.
dish will say keep it because of liability reasons.
techs that are accessing roofs without fall protection are an osha inspectors wet dream.
I know I am an osha certified fall protection facilitator.

Unfortunately once the customer accepts the installation, they are accepting the ownership of the dish. They can ask for a base mount(may have another term) on a tripod, but likely they will not have the best signal ever. And if I'm not mistaken, it is also covered under the RSA as well. Likely right around the same part that says customers are solely responsible for the return of non owned equipment. That includes the deinstallation of the lnb/tria if needed to be returned. The installation only covers the installation. Not deinstallation.

Unfortunately once the customer accepts the installation, they are accepting the ownership of the dish. They can ask for a base mount(may have another term) on a tripod, but likely they will not have the best signal ever. And if I'm not mistaken, it is also covered under the RSA as well. Likely right around the same part that says customers are solely responsible for the return of non owned equipment. That includes the deinstallation of the lnb/tria if needed to be returned. The installation only covers the installation. Not deinstallation.
I cut the cord after the whole AMC blackout and Dish told me to send back the lnb, I told them send a tech to retrieve your equipment because I am not climbing on my roof to get it. They said keep it.

Reactions: Santinelli
They "ask" for it back, but it is not required. The TRIA is, and that is within the broadband commitment, that it is the customers responsibility to send it back, solely on the customer. Even in the disconnect disclosures they say they will send a tech out, but you are required to keep service active until the tech comes. And there is still a charge(one I'm sure gets waived more times then charged). But they have no problem not getting the LnB back.

You know perfectly well that in a situation (location) like this, Dish will waive returning the LNB.

Why did I not receive this information ($95) from the Dish technician or Dish Tech Support when I called?
If you called in, they should have known and told you the price. The guy who showed up to do the work likely knows nothing about the charges for various tasks.

I believe the REFLECTOR and the MAST do become the subscriber's, just as the inside wiring is all the subscriber's, as well. I think the logic is that the mast and reflector are physically ATTACHED (bolted) to the home/apartment, making it the subscriber's.

In my case, the fellow installed a brand new reflector and LNBF's and NEW mast. He did remove the reflector to be no longer used, but he left the mast as per his suggestion and my agreement. Sometimes leaving a mast (or even a useless reflector) is better than hoping one has properly sealed the holes were the bolts once were. This is a PROPER way to do it, and a way that will leak. Ours is on the roof visible only from the backyard, so I was pleased to have him leave the old mast as I knew for sure it did not leak (well, its on the eave, actually, but still a prevention of the wood rotting with the bolts still in place).

Dish seems not to think the LNBF's are not part of the "attached" equipment because they do ask for them to be returned or the subscriber is charged for the LNBF's. Dish does this, IMHO, to prevent piracy/theft of its service. However, no one has challenged this in court, and Dish could be WRONG on the LNBF requirement to be returned or the subscriber (former) charged for them as viewing LNBF's as "not attached" to the domicile. IMHO, I think it is morally wrong for Dish to expect anyone to climb the ladder to, often, a very dangerous point to just chop the cables and send in the LNBF (yes, I know Dish has waived this, but it should not be left to Dish's discretion). The LNBF's are chump change to Dish, and if ANY MVPD really wants to prevent theft of its signal, then it needs to invest in HIGH QUALITY encryption. After all, anyone (including pirates) can get Dish LNBF's for a pretty reasonable price and still be way ahead in the pirate game.

If they get the receivers back, they do not charge for the lnb. The only time they charge, is if the receivers do not come back. The TRIA on the other hand, will catch you a $220 charge of not returned. Those are serialized.

If they get the receivers back, they do not charge for the lnb. The only time they charge, is if the receivers do not come back. The TRIA on the other hand, will catch you a $220 charge of not returned. Those are serialized.
Not if they are roof mounted Internet dishes.

I fail to see what's so hard about sealing up roof holes. I have LOST COUNT of the number of mast plates and stay eyes I have moved and sealed, and haven't had one hole leak yet in many years on two houses. Of course I use roof sealer...

They will still charge for the TRIA. The only way I have seen people get out of the TRIA fee consistently, was on a dish mover, since they no longer ask to bring the TRIA with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts