Does Dish have any responsibility for removing an abandoned dish?

Actually your wrong because if you cancel Dish requires the LNB to be returned. So does Dish own the Dish or not? If they own the LNB, then why didn't they remove it when they upgraded the Dish.

In addition the customer asked the technician to remove the Dish and the technician refused, citing safety issues. So what would be different if the customer called and setup a $95 service call?

Is it less dangerous to remove if the customer paid $95 instead of trying to get the last installer to do it for free?

The LNB's are requested to be returned if the satellite is in a location that can be safely reached, but if it cannot be which in many installations it cannot be reached it is left. As I stated the satellite dish itself does become property of the home owner after installation.

Last edited:
Why did I not receive this information ($95) from the Dish technician or Dish Tech Support when I called?

I do apologize if you were not given the correct information. If you could like us to review the account and assist you with anything please start a conversation with us and we can assist you with anything on the account.

The LNB's are requested to be returned if the satellite is in a location that can be safely reached, but if it can not be which in many installations it can not be reached it is left. As I stated the satellite dish itself does become property of the home owner after installstion.
Dish should drop the "request" that even the LNBs be returned no matter where it's located/mounted. As you say, the dish is the property of the homeowner once it is "affixed" on the property. The Dish and LNB are effectively one unit once assembled.

Reactions: stardust3
Dish should drop the "request" that even the LNBs be returned no matter where it's located/mounted. As you say, the dish is the property of the homeowner once it is "affixed" on the property. The Dish and LNB are effectively one unit once assembled.

I will be happy to forward your feedback on that.

T
They will still charge for the TRIA. The only way I have seen people get out of the TRIA fee consistently, was on a dish mover, since they no longer ask to bring the TRIA with them.
So if a dish is on a roof that requires a 28 foot ladder to retrieve do you think dish is going to take the liability risk of telling a customer to go retrieve it? A $200 part is not worth risking facing a lawsuit.

They will say "you can have us out before canceling or get it yourself, or contact a retailer after the fact, but either way, the return of t is the customers responsibility"

Just because the customer may not be able to do it themselves, does not absolve them of responsibility. They have multiple options. That liability lies with the consumer.

Easy enough, call a retailer. Call dish prior to cancellation. Call a neighbor. They still are not absolved of responsibility. Their contract specifically states "customer is solely responsible for return of equipment". You can check out the legal docs on their website if you would like to verify

Easy enough, call a retailer. Call dish prior to cancellation. Call a neighbor. They still are not absolved of responsibility. Their contract specifically states "customer is solely responsible for return of equipment". You can check out the legal docs on their website if you would like to verify
see I just came from level up training and I asked this question and was told any type of work that requires a customer to get off the ground is a liability and can be waived.

Reactions: TheKrell
Again they have options to have it taken down on their own. Now whether or not dish has laxed on their policy since Febuary, is another story. Fact remains if TRIA not returned, outside of a mover or natural disaster, then it is charged, $220.

Again they have options to have it taken down on their own. Now whether or not dish has laxed on their policy since Febuary, is another story. Fact remains if TRIA not returned, outside of a mover or natural disaster, then it is charged, $220.
dude there is wholesale changes going on at Dish right now across the board. Dish is becoming a different company due to internal pressure from employees bringing in unions and external conditions from competitors

the company is changing for the better, because the company has entered stagnation mode and has to reinvent its self.

Oh I understand they are changing. I still have friends at all levels, and departments acrossed the enterprise. And mostly what I have heard has been positive change(a couple negatives, but can't win them all). What I am describing is what is in their actual policy the written down portion. If a member of the broadband team decided that it is worthy of waiving, they will. That has always been the case. It has always been left up to the opinion of the team member accessing the account and their supervisors. That part will never change, but how much leeway they are given(agents actually have an amount they are allotted to waive whether they know it or not) over a certain period of time. Years ago, the advanced tech team was almost limitless, then got tied down, and now they are in "let's test this new system" phase. The broadband department is especially getting some credit, because of the release of their new fixed broadband that will be expanding if successful.
Again, my post is in regards to what to expect. Expect the worst, hope for the best. Cannot tell a customer it WILL get waived, but can say it MAY get waived. It's all about judgement calls.

If they get the receivers back, they do not charge for the lnb. The only time they charge, is if the receivers do not come back. The TRIA on the other hand, will catch you a $220 charge of not returned. Those are serialized.

Not $200, $99.

C/P : Dishnet rca

Unreturned Equipment Charges: The following "DISH Equipment" provided to you under this Agreement is leased and
remains the property of DISH at all times: satellite modem and transceiver with feed-horn ("TRIA"). You agree that you will
return all DISH Equipment in accordance with the "Equipment Return" section below within thirty (30) days following
disconnection of your Service or DISH Equipment, and if you do not, DISH will charge the following "Unreturned Equipment
Charges," as applicable, to your DISH account or your Qualifying Card, at DISH's option: satellite modem, $99; and TRIA, $99.
If your account is involuntarily deactivated for failure to pay your bill or otherwise, DISH will charge the applicable Unreturned
Equipment Charge(s) to your DISH account or your Qualifying Card, at DISH's option. If you return the DISH Equipment in
accordance with this Agreement, the Unreturned Equipment Charge(s) that you paid to DISH, if any, will be refunded upon
DISH's receipt of the applicable DISH Equipment.

5. Equipment Return . You may use the DISH Equipment under this plan only while you remain an active customer in good
standing and in compliance with this Agreement and all other agreements (if any) between you and DISH or any affiliate of DISH,
including, without limitation, DISH Network L.L.C. For the avoidance of doubt, the terms and conditions of the RCA applicable to
leased equipment thereunder shall apply to all DISH Equipment provided hereunder. If you acquired the DISH Equipment directly
from DISH, you must return all DISH Equipment in good operating condition, normal wear and tear excepted, within thirty (30) days
following disconnection of your Service or DISH Equipment. You must call DISH at 800-333-DISH (3474) immediately after
disconnection of your Service or DISH Equipment to receive a return authorization number and delivery instructions for return of the
DISH Equipment. If you acquired the DISH Equipment from a retailer, you must return all DISH Equipment to: (A) your original
retailer, if such disconnection of your Service or DISH Equipment occurs during the first thirty (30) days following your initial
activation of your Service; or (B) DISH, if such disconnection of your Service or DISH Equipment occurs after such thirty (30) -day
period. You are responsible for and shall bear all costs and expenses of returning the DISH Equipment. You are not responsible
under the terms of this Agreement for the return of equipment other than the DISH Equipment. A $17.00 charge will apply for each
return label and empty box provided by DISH and used by you in returning the DISH Equipment ("Box Return Fee"); the Box
Return Fee is subject to change at any time and from time to time. Unless you are a resident of a Remote Area (as defined below) of
Alaska, you also have the option of contacting DISH by calling 800-333-DISH (3474) to request that DISH perform an in-home
service call to remove the DISH Equipment at DISH's then-current in-home service call rate, which rate is subject to change at any
time and from time to time.

Reactions: ChadT41
Oh I understand they are changing. I still have friends at all levels, and departments acrossed the enterprise. And mostly what I have heard has been positive change(a couple negatives, but can't win them all). What I am describing is what is in their actual policy the written down portion. If a member of the broadband team decided that it is worthy of waiving, they will. That has always been the case. It has always been left up to the opinion of the team member accessing the account and their supervisors. That part will never change, but how much leeway they are given(agents actually have an amount they are allotted to waive whether they know it or not) over a certain period of time. Years ago, the advanced tech team was almost limitless, then got tied down, and now they are in "let's test this new system" phase. The broadband department is especially getting some credit, because of the release of their new fixed broadband that will be expanding if successful.
Again, my post is in regards to what to expect. Expect the worst, hope for the best. Cannot tell a customer it WILL get waived, but can say it MAY get waived. It's all about judgement calls.
One thing that was great is they removed the GM level of management and my former GM got demoted to OM and through the grape vine I heard he is tanking at the job and morale at his office is through the floor and there has been enough techs walk at his shop that a bunch of out market techs was brought in to cover the work load.

That's exactly what happened at my old call center. And in Tx as well. Exception to Tx was they fired all but 2 managers, one of which had just gotten promoted in Phx and moved over there, and was there for under 2 months. That's a helluva thing to happen. Every one of your colleagues gone less than two months after you get there and now you're in charge of everything. Lol. But they have definitely started rocking the boat. I am all for it. It needed done. I have always stated, Dish isn't bad. It's always been the management in the lower level that has a lack of training or just a god like attitude, that make it a terrible place to be. I have worked with quite a few folks from corporate, in management positions, and they were awesome. It's these damn GMs. And even just a lot of the managers with no minimal requirements.

That's exactly what happened at my old call center. And in Tx as well. Exception to Tx was they fired all but 2 managers, one of which had just gotten promoted in Phx and moved over there, and was there for under 2 months. That's a helluva thing to happen. Every one of your colleagues gone less than two months after you get there and now you're in charge of everything. Lol. But they have definitely started rocking the boat. I am all for it. It needed done. I have always stated, Dish isn't bad. It's always been the management in the lower level that has a lack of training or just a god like attitude, that make it a terrible place to be. I have worked with quite a few folks from corporate, in management positions, and they were awesome. It's these damn GMs. And even just a lot of the managers with no minimal requirements.
I have become known as the tech who isnt afraid to wave the bs flag on the forums, out of market techs have told me this. Like I made a post on the forums back in the late spring early summer about the never ending 5th days and getting in after 9 pm at least 3 days out of ever rotation sometimes I wouldnt get back to the lot till 11 pm after driving 300+ miles(100pt routes was a normal day for me) and that there was no balance in our professional and private lives and I brought up the high turnover rate because of this. Guess what somebody higher up read that post and within a week out of market techs where brought in to balance the work load out, a bunch of remote techs was hired and routing was brought under control.

Now 6 months later 5th days only happen every once in a while and I get off between 5 pm and 7pm almost every night.