Does Dish monitor and analyze ip addresses if you plug your receivers into network?

fooit

Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
Canada
I want to use STB Health Live, and the box needs network connection - just wondering if Dish collects and analyzes such info?

I'm not sure about the VIP receivers, as all of mine are connected via broadband, but on the 322 I was able to use STB Health Live without a phone connection. Just press "Connection" and then it will give you the option to Check Signal after it determines that nothing is connected.

As far as monitoring and analyzing IP addresses, they'll use it for auditing purposes, for example if two receivers on the same account have different IPs and are in different geolocations. As for them monitoring my IP address, see attachment:

post-852107219-44103-Good_Luck_Im_Behind_7_Proxies.jpg

Well... maybe it's time to get the US proxy after all :)

Oh yeah... Good idea... Didn't realize that you're from Canada. Yeah, definitely do that, I wouldn't connect it using a Canadian IP with a Canada geolocation...

Most people have a router. So, the IP is really not relevant since the Dish equipment would not be displaying the IP of your internet connection.

Ahhh.... Too late and I can't believe it - I checked my receiver's Diagnostics for signal strength and it says my broadband connection is OK... I am like.. WTF?!?!?!
Turns out that I have my TRENDNet Powerline 85mbps adapter plugged in the same outlet so my Pivos streamer can access my server for kids to watch their stuff, somehow my receiver found out about it and get himself a broadband connection... smart thing... it is....

Should I just plug the second receiver into the network and let them call home all they want?

I'm not sure about the VIP receivers, as all of mine are connected via broadband, but on the 322 I was able to use STB Health Live without a phone connection. Just press "Connection" and then it will give you the option to Check Signal after it determines that nothing is connected.

As far as monitoring and analyzing IP addresses, they'll use it for auditing purposes, for example if two receivers on the same account have different IPs and are in different geolocations. As for them monitoring my IP address, see attachment:

View attachment 70711

Proxies are not all they are cracked up to be.

Most people have a router. So, the IP is really not relevant since the Dish equipment would not be displaying the IP of your internet connection.

the ip the receiver shows you from your local LAN is not the ip it reports home. they log your EXTERNAL IP to make sure all IRDs are connected through the same one.

empiretc said:
Proxies are not all they are cracked up to be.

the ip the receiver shows you from your local LAN is not the ip it reports home. they log your EXTERNAL IP to make sure all IRDs are connected through the same one.

Other than a general location, even down to city/town how would dish know the external ip is at your home. My external ip does change on occasion as well

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Other than a general location, even down to city/town how would dish know the external ip is at your home.
When the receiver pings in, it does so using the Internet IP address and that address can be used to locate you (roughly).
My external ip does change on occasion as well
It is always from your broadband provider's pool and can be located at the country level at least and often to the city level.

The DISH equipment responds to satellite delivered requests for pings through your broadband Internet connection so they most certainly know your Internet IP address. That address can (and most likely will) be used to confirm two things:

1. That all receivers respond through the same broadband provider (to confirm that you don't have equipment in multiple households)
2. That the IP address is assigned by ICANN to the United States (to confirm eligibility for service)

When the receiver pings in, it does so using the Internet IP address and that address can be used to locate you (roughly).It is always from your broadband provider's pool and can be located at the country level at least and often to the city level.

Education time ... click the link see what they know...

http://sparcs.sling.com/rest/v1/slingbox/7caa14ac80587f499a65102dfea36bca

IP Address
Tracking last update date/time
*number* of updates
Ports used to conect
*Internal* Ip address
*Mac Address*
Versions FW/SW/etc

and of course know that this is unprotected data. SO ... if you figured out how Dish/Sling does their finder ID's you could literally build your own database of everyone's DVR, Sling(adapter/loaded), and SlingBox around. No passwords needed to get this information, and with *guest* access enabled on your DVR's someone can come in and connect if the password is weak...

And no.. that ain't *my* finder id.. some group out there offering up SlingBox/SlingAdapter connections to watch for free.. although there's no proof the slings belong to those that posted ... so it could very well be someone figured out the meaning of the finders, brut forced a few passwords, and of course we have our firewall open allowing connections from everywhere into that port on that receiver...

Dish Network ... we do stupid; one better.

Education time ... click the link see what they know...

http://sparcs.sling.com/rest/v1/slingbox/7caa14ac80587f499a65102dfea36bca

IP Address
Tracking last update date/time
*number* of updates
Ports used to conect
*Internal* Ip address
*Mac Address*
Versions FW/SW/etc

and of course know that this is unprotected data. SO ... if you figured out how Dish/Sling does their finder ID's you could literally build your own database of everyone's DVR, Sling(adapter/loaded), and SlingBox around. No passwords needed to get this information, and with *guest* access enabled on your DVR's someone can come in and connect if the password is weak...

And no.. that ain't *my* finder id.. some group out there offering up SlingBox/SlingAdapter connections to watch for free.. although there's no proof the slings belong to those that posted ... so it could very well be someone figured out the meaning of the finders, brut forced a few passwords, and of course we have our firewall open allowing connections from everywhere into that port on that receiver...

Dish Network ... we do stupid; one better.
This only gives the internal network id of device (in this case the 722k I have). It gives my router info back to me. All of what is give here is available on the VIP info screens.

This only gives the internal network id of device (in this case the 722k I have). It gives my router info back to me. All of what is give here is available on the VIP info screens.
First.. you have to supply your own Finder ID to see *your* information ... but it does infact give the following
Code:
[URL="http://www.satelliteguys.us/"]-[/URL] <Slingbox>
     <finderid>7CAA14AC80587F499A65102DFEA36BCA</finderid> 
  [URL="http://www.satelliteguys.us/"]-[/URL] <[COLOR=#a52a2a][B]name[/B][/COLOR]>
  - <=!=[=C=D=A=T=A=[ 
DVR  ]=]=>   
   </name>
    <isRegistered>1</isRegistered> 
    <[COLOR=#a52a2a][B]deviceAddress[/B][/COLOR]>75.4.19.48</deviceAddress>  
    <[COLOR=#a52a2a][B]deviceLANAddress[/B][/COLOR]>192.168.1.71</deviceLANAddress> 
    <[COLOR=#a52a2a][B]devicePort[/B][/COLOR]>5002</devicePort> 
    <[COLOR=#008000][B]numberOfUpdates[/B][/COLOR]>15179</numberOfUpdates> 
    <[COLOR=#a52a2a][B]lastUpdated[/B][/COLOR]>Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:03:54</lastUpdated>  
    <lastUpdateReceived>Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:48:49</lastUpdateReceived> 
    <registrationDate>Mon, 17 Mar 2008 00:00:00</registrationDate> 
    <isPingEnabled>true</isPingEnabled> 
    <pingPeriod>1800</pingPeriod> 
    <CanStreamOnLan>1</CanStreamOnLan> 
    <CanStreamOnWan>1</CanStreamOnWan> 
    <IsSubscription>0</IsSubscription> 
  [URL="http://www.satelliteguys.us/"]+[/URL] <StreamingDisabledReasonCode>
  - <=!=[=C=D=A=T=A=[   ]=]=>   
   </StreamingDisabledReasonCode>
    <[COLOR=#a52a2a][B]MacAddress[/B][/COLOR]>0013B60439F7</MacAddress> 
    <productSignature>000001</productSignature> 
    <firmwareVersion>1.4.20</firmwareVersion> 
    <isConfigured>0</isConfigured>
and a little more ... things to notice, Device Address .. that's the External IP address of the user's router/internet gateway, Device Lan Address .. the internal ip address, device port ... the port registered for that Sling Device, and in that data capture's case, the user renamed their device "DVR"

Etc.. if you're not seeing the same data from the same link, you've got issues that would need to be trouble shot.

The simple point is that these devices do not just "ping" they "phone home" during that conversation, more than just IP data is exchanged ... etc.. and additionally to know that this information is up there unprotected ... except by that old "security by obscurity" concept.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)