Does Dish offer 4:3 aspect ratio standard definition service?

That's news to me. As far as I know additional non DVR receivers are $7 a month.
The old discontinued sd receivers were cheaper...for example the 311...people on western arc might be grandfathered but eastern arc was forced to upgrade to mpeg 4 receivers

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Sorry, but your analogy is lame. Most auto makers don't offer a vehicle without power steering or air conditioning. Why should they retool and alter their production methods just to accommodate that rare customer who just likes to ride around with the windows down in the heat of the summer?

The truth is that 99.9999999% of customers want HD service, there's no reason for DISH to change their marketing approach and create a package of SD only just for you.

You are correct.

Even though today we have both SD and HD channels, the SD feeds are eventually going away.

Even in a private cable system such as a hotel which may be SD, we are slowly converting the receivers to HD and then down converting the signal back to SD, instead of using SD as the primary source like we did in the past.

Here is what the standards are

Black & white SD
COLOR SD
HDTV

For years it was black and white vs color. It’s at the point now, it’s rare if ever we run across a black and white Tv.

Then the transition was from SD TO HD.

SD slowly is going away, it’s it’s going to be HD and 4K as the new standard.

Another 5-10 years it will be hard pressed to even find an SD set.

Reactions: Tampa8
It's rare to find one now, I can't tell you the last time I saw one.

We generally run into them still at run down motels.

They get them for literally $10 each, and refuse to install flat screens because they are likely to get stolen.

Then the run down hotels who have flat screens get the cheapest garbage they can find at Walmart.

Reactions: papachops
When we dropped off the TVs at the Fairfax dump, there was no charge. No charge for any HAZMAT, including used motor oil.

There were MANY large TVs there, including projection TVs. They even had a couple SXRDs. Lot of high dollar (in their day) TVs there.

Oddly, I felt much better about dumping perfectly good TVs. I only saw one TV there with it’s remote.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

When we dropped off the TVs at the Fairfax dump, there was no charge. No charge for any HAZMAT, including used motor oil.

There were MANY large TVs there, including projection TVs. They even had a couple SXRDs. Lot of high dollar (in their day) TVs there.

Oddly, I felt much better about dumping perfectly good TVs. I only saw one TV there with it’s remote.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

$20 here either type.

What really irks me is when channels take 4x3 content like M*A*S*H and other 80's sitcoms and stretch them to widescreen 16x9 or even 14x9, making everything look fat. It isn't hard to keep the original aspect ratio and let users decide how to display them on their TVs.

METV and AntennaTV, I'm talking to YOU.

Last edited:
What really irks me is when channels take 4x3 content like M*A*S*H and other 80's sitcoms and stretch them to widescreen 16x9 or even 14x9, making everything look fat. It isn't hard to keep the original aspect ratio and let users decide how to display them on their TVs.

METV and AntennaTV, I'm talking to YOU.
It could be the local broadcaster not paying attention also. MeTV about a year ago said they want everyone sending their content 16:9 (HD if possible). At least some of their shows look ~14:9 (some pillar bars but not as many as you'd see with a 4:3 on a 16:9 screen). .

Oh, it's intentional. Most likely from the idiots that complained that their broadcasts didn't fill their entire TV (my dad is one of them, not to MeTV directly but he always has to watch 4x3 content on stretch, and gets pissed when somebody :whistle changes it). I even complained myself to them about them butchering the aspect ratio to no response. I'm sure the 14x9 slightly stretched and cropped was an attempt to make neither side notice.

Reactions: TheKrell and joegr
Oh, it's intentional. Most likely from the idiots that complained that their broadcasts didn't fill their entire TV (my dad is one of them, not to MeTV directly but he always has to watch 4x3 content on stretch, and gets pissed when somebody :whistle changes it). I even complained myself to them about them butchering the aspect ratio to no response. I'm sure the 14x9 slightly stretched and cropped was an attempt to make neither side notice.

Yep. My father-in-law is the same way. He'd rather have the tops of heads cut off than have the sides not filled. It's a 65" TV, 4x3 in the middle of it is plenty big. I want to see the whole picture in the correct aspect ratio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)