Does Dish support SAP?

sam_gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Lexington, ky
The title says it all. Do Dish receivers have the capability of pushing out SAP (secondary audio programming for those of you who don't know)?

And just to let you know what's coming down the pike, starting in May, local broadcasters will be mandated to include audio for all emergency information on the screen. That audio will need to go out the SAP channel.

As far as what qualifies as "emergency"... weather crawls, school closings, crawls about interstate shutdowns, evacuations, etc.

If there is 'emergency' information on the screen, the regular audio needs to be interrupted telling viewers there is more information on the SAP channel.

Don't kill the messenger.

I'm not sure it' implemented properly, though, at least on the one channel I use it.

On TV Japan, if you set alternate audio to Japanese, you can hear the English audio (if available). When English is chosen, you hear Japanese audio.

I haven't checked lately, though. But, it was always that way with VIP and older receivers, as well as with my Hopper last time I checked.

That is the way it still works on the VIP receivers for TV Japan. What do you mean by not implemented properly? It should be chosen the other way around?

Our local channels in Ct. constantly have "Emergency" information scrolling, literally sometimes all day and night. Far far more than the Tampa channels do.
I wonder what is meant by an interruption telling people there is a sap channel they can turn to.....

As it is now you have to pick (and know) what the language is to hear it in the English SAP, if it was reversed as you say you just would pick English. When EuroNews had a portuguese SAP it worked the same way. (You picked "Alternate")

Don't you think that "English" should enable English, and "Japanese" should enable Japanese? Or, am I being too picky?
Just guessing, but I think alternative audio channels are actually identified in the stream as numbers, with English being the first. So even though you're selecting 'English', the receiver is looking for the first alternate audio channel.

Maybe?

Just guessing, but I think alternative audio channels are actually identified in the stream as numbers, with English being the first. So even though you're selecting 'English', the receiver is looking for the first alternate audio channel.

Maybe?
Yes. After seeing the backwards way it worked with a foreign channel, assumed that English just means "Main Audio".
What I still find weird is choosing Japanese brings up the English SAP.

Yes. After seeing the backwards way it worked with a foreign channel, assumed that English just means "Main Audio".
What I still find weird is choosing Japanese brings up the English SAP.
Here's what I'm thinking...

They have two audio streams... one with Japanese language and one with English. The Japanese language is the primary feed and the English is the secondary.

Your tuner calls ALL primary feeds 'English' and all secondary feeds are something else. So you hear Japanese when you select English.

IIRC, broadcasters encoders can be programmed with the 'name' of the audio (English, Spanish, Japanese, etc). So maybe the broadcaster calls their secondary Japanese (or their primary Japanese and the secondary English, but your tuner isn't reading the description).

This all makes sense in my head, I just can't write it down well.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts