does dishnet broadband internet have it's own satellite?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rcwolin

Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
United States
has dish launched it's own broadband internet satellite? if so, when? if not, who does it contract with for broadband internet service [viasat? hughesnet?]? how can i determine which contractor provides dishnet service in zip 97497?

thank you.

I tried signing up for DishNet when it first became available and I asked them the same question. They didn't know. ...Long story short, the only good thing out of my attempt at DishNet is that they allowed me to cancel and not get hit with the early termination fee due to all the technical issues I faced. (and it wasn't an LOS issue).

I still don't know if it's their own satellite but I have learned it's the same technology as HughesNet Gen 4. The speeds were awesome during off-peak hours but during peak hours (about 4PM to 11PM), dial-up was actually FASTER. When the speed test would actually complete (and not timeout) it would be down in the single digits (as in, X Kb) ...as in 14K would be faster because it had TWO digits in the number.

Perhaps the problems were due getting it as soon as the service became available... But I would HIGHLY recommend trying all other alternatives (non-satellite based) internet. 3G available? 4G available? ....We have no options except dial-up, 3G/4G cell, and satellite where we live. We tried switching from cell internet to DishNet and it was horrible.

The DishNet modem had a very comprehensive diagnostics screen and logs. The entire time we had service (about a month), there were only about four 15-mintue intervals where there was NOT some significant error code. ..had a call to tech support at least once a week about the issues to no resolution. ..2 tech visits and same problems.

has dish launched it's own broadband internet satellite? if so, when? if not, who does it contract with for broadband internet service [viasat? hughesnet?]? how can i determine which contractor provides dishnet service in zip 97497?

thank you.

They contract with 2 satellite broadband suppliers, Viasat and Echostar's Hughes Division.

They own 100 percent of Echostar.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SatelliteGuys

that's what i thought. i spoke to three dish customer service reps; two said they had their own satellite, the third didn't know. do you have any idea of how to find out which of them i will get in zip 97497 [southern oregon]?

DishNet is a blanket term for multiple satellite Internet services. In my area it is mainly Hughes gen 4 (Jupiter). It can also be Exede (the newer Viasat) or Spaceway (older Hughes) depending on the area. Techs trained for DishNet are trained in all of those and Wildblue (the older Viasat, I don't think Dish does that as a new install anymore just service calls).

I have no idea how to find out what it is in your area.