Does DN and the 522 support Closed Captioning?

speedyox

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Aurora, IL
I noticed this morning that I don't get closed captioning with my Dish network setup. I couldn't find anything about it in the 522 menus. Does Dish support closed captioning? Is there anything to set up in the 522?

Yes Dish (and the 522) "support" closed captioning. No, you don't need to set anything up in the 522 for that. They "support" closed captioning by just passing it through, untouched, in the video signal as normal. Your TV has to have a closed caption decoder, and its menus are where you need to be to set up closed captioning.

Note some receiver models (921, maybe 811?) also have built-in closed caption decoders. I believe on those there is no closed caption info present in the HD outputs, only the SD outputs. Maybe that means HD interconnect specs (DVI, component) don't contain support for closed caption? I can see how maybe vertical blanking interval is obsolete with HD (is it?), but at least a DVI connection should be able to pass CC data... I have a lot of reading up to do on HD display implementation. :)

My TV has a CC decoder. It is set to do the CC when it is on Mute. It wasn't doing it so I set it to do CC all the time and it still didn't do it. Yes, I was using the remote for the TV so I know the TV was muted and not the 522 (if mute is even possible on the 522) BTW, this is on TV2, set to channel 73.

Hmm, that's strange. I would say make sure the programs you were watching are closed captioned, but pretty much everything is these days.

Also, and this may also be obvious, but make sure your TV's CC mode is set to "Caption" and not "Text", and that you select captioning channel 1, not 2. I've only occasionally seen data pop in on captioning channel 2, and only once 10 years ago did I see anything in Text mode.

Caption mode ... check.
channel one ... check.

I was watching a program from the HDD. Is the CC data not recorded when the DVR records?

I'm pretty sure I have exercised that successfully in the past. I'll try tonight and report if nobody else chimes in. :)

speedyox said:
Caption mode ... check.
channel one ... check.

I was watching a program from the HDD. Is the CC data not recorded when the DVR records?

I can verify that it is. I was watching CSI on Spike yesterday (recorded from the day before) and my wife muted rather than pausing (which I hate!) and the captions came up. It's definitely something TV does, not the 522.

If the 522 did break CC, it would be a violation of federal law, which requires among other things that any device which receives TV signals be able to decode CC data. (It may be part of ADA, it may not).

hmm... Mine's just not working. I've tried live tv and recorded tv. I know my TV set can do it becuase I did before I got Dish. I tried both channels and both modes on the TV. I still only had time to try TV2. Could it only work for TV1?

I know it works on TV2 at least through the coax RF output. That's where I use closed caption the most, in my bedroom watching Whose Line at night (timeshifted & live). I occasionally miss what they say and turn on CC after skipping back. Or, what's even better, I've seen times when they audibly beep out a word yet leave it uncensored in CC. :)

I've just switched form Comcast to Dish Network Feb 10, 2005.
Closed captioning works fine--USUALLY!
After a long phone Dish Network tech contact, we finally figured out CC can be restored by depressing the 522 power button for 10 seconds or so. This apparently resets the unit.
I lost CC on both recorded and live programs. Resetting restored both.
I just don't want to be resetting while trying to watch a program.
The techs I've talked to claim mine is a unique problem.
AND, the last tech indicated that if I need the 522 replaced I must PAY SHIPPING AND HANDLING! I told him I didn't think so, I'd go back to Comcast or DirectTV first.
Hopefully a permanent solution will be found. In the meantime try the reset fix.

Don't worry speedyox, you are not alone. This is a common problem that all Dish 522's have - it's just that most people don't know about it. This thread is even a perfect example - lots of good intentioned people giving out stupid advice and the only one who really knows what he's talking about is Mitsch.

The 522 closed captioning works fine when the unit is fresh - any time close to a reboot. That's why most of the time the captioning works fine in the morning or afternoon - most people have the 3 AM reboot time. But in the evening - a long time away from the 3 AM reboot time - that's when a lot of 522 problems creep up - including the captioning stops working. You say no captions in the morning? I bet maybe you don't use the 3 AM reboot time, no?

I talked with the "advanced" tech people and they swore up and down that this is known problem and promised to be fixed in the next update. That was WEEKS ago! Meanwhile, my poor old mother comes to visit - and can't hear so well - and we try to turn on captioning for her at night when she watches her programs - and guess what? NO CAPTIONS!!! Why? I think MEMORY LEAK!!! System works so so when fresh. Time passes with no reboot + crap software = all problems start coming out and time to reboot. I think Dish should pay me $1.00 US every time I have to hold down the power button to fix their crap product. I would be a very rich man now.

I'll concur it is a problem with the 522's. With a person who is hard of hearing in the family it is a pain to have to reboot the unit to get the CC back.

Jack

I don't have a 522 but on my 721 sometimes the closed captioning doesn't work on recorded programs. I have found that if I "rewind" or go back a ways it will magically appear.

811 work for OTA during vacation disconnect

Difference Between "Output 1" and "Output 2"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)