Does DTV have (or planning for) an "Eastern Arc"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JonUrban

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Eastern Connecticut
Sorry for my cluelessness, but I was a Dish subscriber for 10+ years, but switched back to cable when they dumped the NY Sports channels because sports are important in my house.

I started out with the original Dish 4000/5000 receivers and went from there through all the bells and whistles and DVRs up to the 922K, eventually switching my sats to the eastern arc when that option became available because the trees around my house were slowly overgrowning the line of site to the original satellites.

Today, I have Cable, and I hate it. The DVR sucks, the service is bad, the PQ is bad, and I miss my Dish DVR and all, but can't go back. However, as I recall, the DirectTV sats are in the same place as the original Dish sats, which is now pretty much blocked by trees.

So, back to my question: Does Direct TV have an Eastern Arc type of thing, or are they planning one it? I'd really like to get back to SAT and dump this cable company (except for Internet).

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all

simple answer-no

longer answer....no because Directv only has satellites at 99, 101, 103, 110 & 119. They sublease off 95 for International channels

Dish had originally 119, 110, 148 & 61.5.
They now own spots at 61.5, 77, 110, 119, 129. They sublease 72 from a Canadian company. 148 blowed up years ago and Dish gave that spot up. (they still own or have satellites at 121 & 105 but 121 is mainly bizness accounts)

Thats why Dish can do different arcs.

With Directv you need 99, 101 & 103. Are you sure you dont have line of site there? Dish's WA is 110,119,129

the directv sats are in about the best location for the whole country, so there is no need for 2 arcs, dish on the other hand needs to arcs for HD because 129 is so low in the sky in the east.

JonUrban, technically here in CT you need to see the satellites from 99 all the way to 119, but in fact you don't need the 110 and 119 ones. 110 isn't used and 119 has a few music channels, a couple of foreign language channels, and our local sd channels. Direct requires that you get them for a proper install, but an independent installer will only require 99, 101, and 103. It's a pretty narrow field in the sky. Maybe there is a spot on your property where you can view it. If you have a smart phone you can get an app for $20 that will locate the satellites for you. It's called dishpointer and it's pretty accurate.

here in my neck of the woods D* is only installing the dishes that get 99,101 and 103.....did not think there was anything other then random locals on 119

Yes double check, but almost betting you will be able to get 99, 101, and 103.

here in my neck of the woods D* is only installing the dishes that get 99,101 and 103.....did not think there was anything other then random locals on 119

That's mostly what is there, but like I posted, there are a couple of foreign language channels and some music channels. If your local sd channels are on 119, Directv requires the 5 lnb dish to be able to receive them. That's why you need an independent installer.

As an installer I found it was the Directv elevation that made most installations go in,

The DISH elevations are mostly below Directv so trees, buildings and mountains are more of an issue. Remember there are many little subgroups who will never have LOS (Line of Sight) and they are called cable customers, etc.

Joe

There are 2 English channels on 119 but both are religious
Hope Network (368)
Jewish Life TV (366)

Here in Minneapolis they install SL3's all the time because Mpls SD locals are on 101. But as rauol noted, the SD locals are on 119
Now here is where "stupidity" comes into play. As he noted, because they are on 119 the installer has to set up a SL5. BUT all the Hartford locals are in HD (which are on either 99 or 103) so you could set up a SL3 (99/101/103) and not lose any locals

the directv sats are in about the best location for the whole country, so there is no need for 2 arcs, dish on the other hand needs to arcs for HD because 129 is so low in the sky in the east.
It is only the best location if you have happen to be able to get LOS. If you don't, it doesn't matter how optimal the location is.

There is a whole host of people that live on the East and West sides of their structures that miss out because they can see Southeast or Southwest but cannot see South.

Two chances are a whole lot better than one.

It is only the best location if you have happen to be able to get LOS. If you don't, it doesn't matter how optimal the location is.

There is a whole host of people that live on the East and West sides of their structures that miss out because they can see Southeast or Southwest but cannot see South.

That's the breaks ...
Everybody knows you need access to the S/SW to get D* going into the situation.

Last edited:

ummmm since you like to troll maybe you should do some more research. A lot of Dish markets are on one arc only so unless you live in a dual arc your chances are still "one chance" that you have LOS.

the real trick is finding an installer out east that installs in a SL5 market that will have a SL3 lnbf in order to bypass the 119. Also important to note (possibly dated information) that when a sl5 lnb is used the guide data is streamed on 119. It moves to 101 on the SL3. so you need the actual LNB to get the install done, you cant "just be satisfied" not seeing 119.

Hope Network (368)
Jewish Life TV (366)

Here in Minneapolis they install SL3's all the time because Mpls SD locals are on 101. But as rauol noted, the SD locals are on 119
Now here is where "stupidity" comes into play. As he noted, because they are on 119 the installer has to set up a SL5. BUT all the Hartford locals are in HD (which are on either 99 or 103) so you could set up a SL3 (99/101/103) and not lose any locals

Those are foreign languages in my book! :)

Hope Network (368)
Jewish Life TV (366)

...not to mention the obvious - why put northeastern SD markets on 119? It's been a PITA for years.

for most subscribers you are talking about 5-7 max...when I moved I gained 5 in Choice Xtra (3 of which are in Spanish)
If you have Premium package then there is 17 total

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts