Does DTV have (or planning for) an "Eastern Arc"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
...not to mention the obvious - why put northeastern SD markets on 119? It's been a PITA for years.
DIRECTV doesn't have any spot beams at 110W and up to 38 spot beams at 101W. Any other slots (save 95W) are not receivable by SD receivers.

DIRECTV doesn't have any spot beams at 110W and up to 38 spot beams at 101W. Any other slots (save 95W) are not receivable by SD receivers.

The obvious answer here that you seem to miss is that the western parts of the country should have their sd locals on 119 and the eastern areas on 101, generally speaking.

But the issue was Directv loaded up 101 with the "major" cities then realized "oh crap we have more cities to add....eh lets throw them on 119" ;)

So you get larger East Coast cities on 119

But the issue was Directv loaded up 101 with the "major" cities then realized "oh crap we have more cities to add....eh lets throw them on 119" ;)

So you get larger East Coast cities on 119

That's probably how it happened, or something like it. Poor planning! It may have had something to do with the availability of the dual lnb dish.

The obvious answer here that you seem to miss is that the western parts of the country should have their sd locals on 119 and the eastern areas on 101, generally speaking.
Perhaps not so obvious is that most of the markets are well east of 101W. There are 210 markets and most of them are east of the Mississippi. 38 spot beams might hit a third of those so the other 2/3 are looking at 119W or going with HD equipment..

Perhaps not so obvious is that most of the markets are well east of 101W. There are 210 markets and most of them are east of the Mississippi. 38 spot beams might hit a third of those so the other 2/3 are looking at 119W or going with HD equipment..

:facepalm

Sorry for my cluelessness, but I was a Dish subscriber for 10+ years, but switched back to cable when they dumped the NY Sports channels because sports are important in my house.

I started out with the original Dish 4000/5000 receivers and went from there through all the bells and whistles and DVRs up to the 922K, eventually switching my sats to the eastern arc when that option became available because the trees around my house were slowly overgrowning the line of site to the original satellites.

Today, I have Cable, and I hate it. The DVR sucks, the service is bad, the PQ is bad, and I miss my Dish DVR and all, but can't go back. However, as I recall, the DirectTV sats are in the same place as the original Dish sats, which is now pretty much blocked by trees.

So, back to my question: Does Direct TV have an Eastern Arc type of thing, or are they planning one it? I'd really like to get back to SAT and dump this cable company (except for Internet).

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all

The three birds are located at 99, 101 and 103. With the 99 and 101 being the core sats
I used UNcasville ( where the Mohigan Sun is located) as a rough point of reference. For the SWM 3 antenna the elevation is 33.8 degrees. That should give you fairly decent elevation. Oh, the general azimuth is 220 degrees.

The three birds are located at 99, 101 and 103. With the 99 and 101 being the core sats
I used UNcasville ( where the Mohigan Sun is located) as a rough point of reference. For the SWM 3 antenna the elevation is 33.8 degrees. That should give you fairly decent elevation. Oh, the general azimuth is 220 degrees.

but again.......since his SD locals are on 119 if Directv comes and installs it they will have to do a SL5 even though all the locals are in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts