Does DTV look better with 4K TV even without 4K equipment?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

maverick22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Dallas, TX
I found out after my install that you have to get one of the higher DTV packages in order to receive 4K broadcasts (as well as equipment upgrades). I have the 54 Genie.

I was wondering, after getting DTV installed and not thoroughly impressed with PQ, would getting a 4K TV help or hurt the PQ on the regular HD channels? I have a 55" 1080p TV now, and am wondering if a 65" 4K TV would improve the PQ or just magnify the artifacts.

Thanks!

4k is in almost every pack. select and above. not eve sure if there is a pack below select.

is the pq better on a 4k tv? my 55" 4k is better that the 1080tv i used to have (it was an old projection screen)
but even my new 40" 1080 is better than that old 1080

some 4k may be better some may be worse. heck even some 1080 may be better or worse.

artifacts will be present, how they look will again depend on the tv

star here http://www.rtings.com/ and do some research
even look at what they may say about the tv you have for a comparison

Yes, I am considering one of the newer Sonys or '16 OLED. They both upscale well from what I have read.

So even going with one of these, some HD channels (non 4K) could look worse, some better?

thanks

Its all up to your TV and the quality of up scaling!

I have a higher end 75" Sony, and it is a stunning picture compared to my 4k Vizio, and a cheap 4k Seiki ...

Reactions: Tampa8
Theoretically the PQ on any 4K panel should look better. However, we all know that like anything else, you generally get what you pay for ( video processors, IPS screen vs VA screen etc ). Even though from 20 feet I can see a PQ improvement with upconverted 4K on my Sony 75x850c, where a actual 4K signal really shines is when you sit closer to the screen. There is much less PQ degradation inside 10 feet and closer. Is it worth getting a 4K TV? I would say yes it is. I'm guessing that by the time the 2020 models come out you will be hard pressed to find a 2K set above 50 inches.

Reactions: maverick22
Yes, my sitting distance will be about 10 feet. Anxious to get a 4K TV (my current 1080 set is about 6 years old). Have to wait 'til time is right financially though. Wife doesn't want to get a new one until our current one breaks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts