Does H3 Netflix stream directly from Netflix Servers, or through Dish's Network?

Just wanted to update you all, I upgraded from the Netgear N900 to a Arris 6900-AC and it seems the issue has disappeared. Im not sure why the H3 and the Netgear N900 were not playing nice, as nothing specification wise or configuration wise should have hampered the H3, yet it was clearly bottlenecking with that setup.

I was able to see some 100mbit + streaming speeds on the H3 once changed.

Since this hardware is new to me, I was wondering if any of you could be so kind to answer some questions.

I hardwired one of the Joey's with ethernet via the router and within the status it says ethernet connected but disabled. Yet within that joey's and the H3's configuration, I could not find any place to change settings over to ethernet from wireless? The H3 itself is hardwired ethernet and has a wireless joey "master" (unsure what its called) to speak to the other 3 joey's within the house wirelessly. One of the joey's was having issues streaming so i wanted to hardwire it to see if I could increase throughput for HBO/Netflix.

Will the Joey be able to use Ethernet directly connected to the router? Or does it require you to run the ethernet from the H3's 2nd ethernet port? Odd that ethernet was connected and verified working yet status said it was not being used. Didn't know if there's some weird proprietary interconnectivity between the H3 and joey's required.

I have had issues where with the H3 and Netflix the show would start up and the little counter would get up to say 30% and pause. I would back out and try again where again it would stop at 30%. After a few more tries the same result. I then move to the TV Netflix app and it loads right up. (30 is an example)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That used to happen for us all the time. It was so consistent, we quit using the Hopper for Netflix. We've got a Roku and smart TV with Netflix and when the Hopper version would act up, I could load either of the other two and they worked perfect (and fast).

Will the Joey be able to use Ethernet directly connected to the router? Or does it require you to run the ethernet from the H3's 2nd ethernet port? Odd that ethernet was connected and verified working yet status said it was not being used. Didn't know if there's some weird proprietary interconnectivity between the H3 and joey's required.
You can not connect a Joey to a wireless router. Nor, does Dish "support" a direct ethernet connection to the Hopper (though most times it works). Moca via coax is the supported method.

Reactions: Joe891
You can not connect a Joey to a wireless router. Nor, does Dish "support" a direct ethernet connection to the Hopper (though most times it works). Moca via coax is the supported method.

Thanks. Perhaps im a little confused on the setup, I was listening to what my client told me and he assured me there was basically a "master" joey (which sat on top of the H3) that he said communicated with the other joey's. Is this not the case? Does such a item not exist?

I did notice that they are indeed connected via moca coax. But there is one joey that was in his kitchen that was not connected via coax. So surely there must be some wireless capability? Otherwise how was that particular joey working?

Yes, the H3 is connected via ethernet. It works great.

Thanks for your info!

Thanks. Perhaps im a little confused on the setup, I was listening to what my client told me and he assured me there was basically a "master" joey (which sat on top of the H3) that he said communicated with the other joey's. Is this not the case? Does such a item not exist?

I did notice that they are indeed connected via moca coax. But there is one joey that was in his kitchen that was not connected via coax. So surely there must be some wireless capability? Otherwise how was that particular joey working?

Yes, the H3 is connected via ethernet. It works great.

Thanks for your info!
Thats for Wireless Joeys.
Its called a Wireless access point (WAP)
That just gets connected to the H3 to form a private wifi network to only the wireless Joeys for its actual function to the Hopper.

Dish "supports" a Ethernet connection just fine to the Hopper.
It an option in every manual as well as all the trouble shooting steps.

Directv is the ones that don't support Ethernet on their Genies
4f8dab548d0b3e2d2d42a17fd8ca10ea.jpg

It sounds like the kitchen Joey is a wireless Joey. That one needs a Wireless Access Point, and that is what is probably what is sitting on top of the H3.

I'm thinking he means an ethernet connection from the Hopper to a Joey
From his last description the Master Joey on top of the H3 is certainly a WAP for the wireless Joey in the kitchen. The other Joeys are connected via coax and are MOca connected... The H3 is ethernet connected....

From his last description the Master Joey on top of the H3 is certainly a WAP for the wireless Joey in the kitchen. The other Joeys are connected via coax and are MOca connected... The H3 is ethernet connected....
I was referring to the above

That is correct.

So if im understanding this correctly the coax that is connected to the joey's is not just for TV, but for internet, as its doing MoCA over Coax, forming a private VLAN between the H3 and the other Joey's? Because one of the upstairs joey's that is coax connected was having problems buffering HBO on demand. As soon as I connected a RJ45 to the ethernet port from the house's main router, then the buffering issues stopped. But from the conversation in the thread, it sounds like that would not have even done anything? That the ethernet should not have even worked, or done anything? Perhaps it was just coincidental.

So the joey's will get their data from the H3 no matter what? It basically acts as a router to the joey and redistributes IP based traffic to them?

That is correct.

So if im understanding this correctly the coax that is connected to the joey's is not just for TV, but for internet, as its doing MoCA over Coax, forming a private VLAN between the H3 and the other Joey's? Because one of the upstairs joey's that is coax connected was having problems buffering HBO on demand. As soon as I connected a RJ45 to the ethernet port from the house's main router, then the buffering issues stopped. But from the conversation in the thread, it sounds like that would not have even done anything? That the ethernet should not have even worked, or done anything? Perhaps it was just coincidental.

So the joey's will get their data from the H3 no matter what? It basically acts as a router to the joey and redistributes IP based traffic to them?

Just wanted to bump this question to see if anyone could clarify?

Thanks community!

That is correct.

When I had a hopper 2 and Joey 1, I used an Ethernet cable in the back of the Joey and it worked. I don't believe it was "officially" supported, but worked non the less.

From what I understand, it's just bits. Bits are bits regardless of the medium. It's not creating a VLAN, as that's more of a managed switch thing, but it's IP based Ethernet frames. The frames will either be sent over coaxial via MoCA or over the LAN via Ethernet. Since the Joey is on the same LAN as the hopper on the same subnet, it'll get the frames because the hopper will send the frames with a header with the IP of the Joey and it'll be routed to the Joey via the Router.

That's assuming that the Joey gets its IP and subnet from DHCP when connected via Ethernet.

Of course, I don't believe Ethernet connections are officially supported, but it worked with older equipment. It was probably not supported because tech support troubleshooting LANs with customers wasn't very cost efficient. If I were to guess, and from what you said, it'll still work with Hopper 3s and current Joeys.

As to why the Ethernet connection worked better than MoCA.. I'd blame that on a bad coaxial cable or splitter somewhere.

This is coming from more of a network guy than a Hopper/Joey guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: seanpaul

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts